:giggle:

#3 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:33 AM

I've been keeping an eye on this. Just the beginning, but my 12 thoughts that this will just turn into another Lindows, but only worse

1. They are stepping on a lot of toes, Microsoft, Linux and even Apple. Also Intel
2. How many years did it take Microsoft to "Get it right" and their still trying to!
3. I dont like cloud computing. If im in a place where there is no internet access i cant work?
4. Aside from the hoax screen shots, no proof? I call it vaporware until i see proof
5. Only for a x86?? Why take a step backwards?
6. Is Adobe going to make CS for the cloud? If so wouldn't it be slow?
7. OK, its for a low power netbook, Didnt google get the memo that most netbook owners are unhappy with their purchase?
8. So its cloud. WiFi isnt everywhere. You might need a wireless carrier. Best deal is TMobile's all you can eat, but only at 56k (again we're stepping backwards) unless you use a 3G data plan for 60.00 a month and up for 128MB of use. (kinda expensive) Tethering is still frowned upon at most carriers.
9. Security. Where do most of your malware and viruses come from? Internet! and google plans the most secure OS the needs no virus protection "in the clouds" lol
10. A 10" netbook screen? do you really want to use a netbook for your everyday use for 8 hours a day? I see people hating a 17" and going to a 32" or dual monitors on their desktops
11. Netbooks are not very powerful. Just what are you expecting this OS to do for you?
12. So my data is stored on their servers. Just who is going to be looking at it, Do I have to look at a bunch of ads to get to it? Am I forced to use Chrome to use Chrome OS?

I dont think i'll be wasting much time with this

#4 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:40 AM

i love you dave...rik has a crush, but mine is true...

#5 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:46 PM

Oh come on, do you guys own a netbook anyways? Not that I know of. "most netbook owners are unhappy with their purchase": most netbook users are running Windows on it, which is ridiculous because demanding too much from the hardware. I like mine, for traveling or for keeping it close to me while watching TV or even to read a recipe when cooking instead of printing it!

Netbooks are not meant for performance, they are not meant for applications like Adobe's, and if netbook owners are sad their machine cannot do this, well too bad cause they were misinformed or plain stupid. All those "slow" and "small and unergonomic" arguments simply don't apply. If they build an OS truly meant for netbooks and really not demanding from the hardware, I say why not? I am a bit skeptical too, but it could end up being very useful IMO.

#6 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:51 PM

:giggle: Nice analysis Dman ,I must say I concur with all of your opinions and ditto on MO's reply......nuthin gay tho ,ok? ok.... ;) oh BTW netbooks are gay already :P

Edited by stormrosson, 10 July 2009 - 01:52 PM.

#7 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:16 PM

i see hog's pov, and something like this would be swell on a netbook, though there are other distros around atm that can also fit the bill.

#8 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:38 PM

BFL, If you're getting something for FREE don't expect much, or expect to pay in other ways. In the end all you'll have is a big ass Android phone.

1. Chrome OS will include proprietary technologies
Linux still lacks a high-quality open source Flash plugin. Practically the only choice for 100% site compatibility is to use Adobe's proprietary plugin, so Chrome OS will need to license and include it out of the box. HTML5 will lessen the need for Flash over time, especially on video sites (and it's interesting that Chrome OS isn't due until 2010, when HTML5 might have more of a foothold). However, the Flash plugin is definitely required at the present time.

2. Chrome OS will be created to take away your privacy
Chrome OS exists to give Google access to your data. All of it. Chrome OS might be free of charge but you'll pay for it with your online soul.
Money isn't the currency of the Internet. Data is. Micropayments aren't made in cents or pennies, but in details about your shopping habits, or where you plan to go on vacation.
Most ordinary users don't know about privacy issues, and normally take a laissez-faire attitude even if they do. But it's a very sore spot for open source advocates. Open source types have a tendency to be paranoid about their data. They make the bizarre assumption that not only do various covert agencies take an active interest in their data, but that they generate data that's worth taking an interest in.

The article continues at PC world

#9 scaramonga

scaramonga

CALLING ALL STATIONS

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:01 PM

It's all gonna FAIL big time, the Google OS that is ;) :giggle:

3. I dont like cloud computing. If im in a place where there is no internet access i cant work?

That wont be a problem soon, internet access will be everywhere, given time. It's hard to find a place where there is no internet access, at least where I live.

#10 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:32 PM

View Postscaramonga, on Jul 11 2009, 01:01 AM, said:

It's all gonna FAIL big time, the Google OS that is ;) :giggle:
I think, it's gonna work, but too much relying on the web. the web ain't the future. The user is.

Sadly, no manufacturer notices that fact :P

#11 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 02:47 AM

If the competition was just a decision between windows and chrome then there would be room for debate as to whether chrome would succeed.
But what trumps everything is that Google is talking about distributing the OS for FREE.
Now, if you are going to buy a netbook or cheap laptop for say $200 to $500, would you spend another $200 to $300 on an operating system? No way- I'll take the free OS, thank you very much.

#12 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:23 AM

you bet rich, but i'd go for a lite distro that already exists rather than an online option.

#13 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:48 AM

View PostRoadrunner, on Jul 10 2009, 07:47 PM, said:

But what trumps everything is that Google is talking about distributing the OS for FREE.
Now, if you are going to buy a netbook or cheap laptop for say $200 to $500, would you spend another $200 to $300 on an operating system? No way- I'll take the free OS, thank you very much.

Um Rich, Windows 7 starter, made for netbooks is only 49.00. They removed the application limitation. I don't think that's a lot at all considering you have a OS that is compatible with 90% of the market and drivers that will work. Do you know what chrome OS has in store when it has to database all those drivers?

So many times ive been burned or seen others get burned on FREE
The company goes out of business, and you have no more support.

The drug dealer gives you FREE samples, gets you hooked then all of a sudden its not FREE anymore.

You load all your important data on a skydrive and the company decides to close and all the data is gone. They dont owe you anything because you paid nothing

You get this fantastic OS that claims it going to be a MS killer, you can browse the internet, work on your docs, but wait, if you want Killer OS Premium, where you can watch videos, transfer files to a Window OS you only have to pay 9.99 a month

There is nothing in this world for "FREE"
Heck, ask Jamie Thomas

BTW, your sponsorship is up :giggle:

#14 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:12 AM

View PostNvyseal, on Jul 10 2009, 08:48 PM, said:

BTW, your sponsorship is up ;)

:giggle:

#15 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:41 AM

Intel Moblin seems a lot like what Chrome OS aims to be. But then I read today that Intel has known about Chrome OS for a while and has actually been helping with some aspect of it. Did the Moblin developers know about this? It's almost like a soap opera. A really geeky soap opera.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users