The first 30 days of using Vista (Thrown into Deep End)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:42 PM

As many of you know, I have been an avid user of Microsoft's Windows XP x64, an OS which I truly like. After hearing all of the hype with the newly released Windows Vista (and of cause my XP x64 was a trial and was going to expire in 3 days) I decided to install Vista.

My installation of Vista is what you would call cold turkey, no dual booting, nothing just Vista. As I popped the disc into the drive, I realised my Windows experience would not be the same again.

I installed Windows Vista (Ultimate Edition), installation went smoothly, and completed in a time span of about 39mins.

System rebooted and I was pleased to see a functioning desktop.
Attached File  desktop_1_vista.JPG   231.36K   19 downloads

First thing I did was install the latest Nvidia Drivers (for my 6100 Geforce), and had no problems. The suddenly I noticed that my Audigy Sound Card wouldn't work. After downloading the correct drivers from Creative's website I soon discovered that my surround sound no longer worked. I only later discovered this is a problem that Creative is working on, (for now there is a temporay solution by using XP drivers) must still try that.

So far on my first day I am not sure how I feel about Vista, it seems to be stable; one things for sure it has a lot of eye candy.

#2 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:44 PM

Yup, I sure like it. But granted it still has problems. Creative needs to get their butts in gear!! I am still running beta drivers for my X-Fi, I think it is time they got a final release out for us.

#3 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:13 PM

Day 2:

Been playing with the sidebar, added a lot of gadgets. Somethings are working a bit on my nervious (will take getting used to I suppose)

1) The starmenu is great but still not sure if I like it that it doesn't open up another menu.

2) The new control panel, some of the popular apps have been complely renamed.

3) Some basic shortcuts and windows feel that I am used is differnet. (Windows alert adviser I a pain but it does learn quickly)

I think these things I'll get used to over time. Performance Wise Vista has been great so far, its just as fast as XP 64 bit used to be. The system rating setting, rated my PC as a 3,, suppose I can not complain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users