17 replies to this topic

#1 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:34 AM

i had an old (30+) tele-jazz neck, and again, some 30 year old alembic jazz style pups and pre. put together with a mighty mite import jazz body, and...

Posted Image

nothing fit right, so i had to do a lot of by hand trimming and cutting. it took several hours alone to get the pickguard to fit nice, let alone having to shave off a part of a pickup to fit in a route, but heck, it's pretty pretty, and fun to play, too :(

#2 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:06 AM

:( :party: :( ;) :D

How's the action? Good job on getting that neck and that body intonated brother!!

#3 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:17 PM

:( that's what I'm talkin bout......REALLY nice MOboy bet it sounds bueno homey :D :(

#4 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:05 PM

nice

#5 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:48 PM

thanks guys. i don't see an issue re intonation (the neck screw holes did not line up, as the pocket was longer, farther in toward the bridge, but i took this into consideration when placing the bridge. yeah, there where no pre drilled holes. i was sweating it out when i was drilling for the bridge mount...). it sounds very modern. i love the alembic pups. they really go along with the classic jbass pup placement. no chub, just tight lows mids and highs. the neck is as thin as a fender jazz can be, but has the tele headstock. it's not chunky. it's actually almost too skinny. action is fine, and i feel lucky, as the neck was sitting in storage for 10 years, without being strung. i half expected it to just warp crazy once string pressure was put on it, but so far, so good :(

#6 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:59 PM

Nice bass and nice work on it. Good to see you're having fun with your new toy ! :(

#7 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:19 PM

:( gotta be a sweet sound with teh long scale the lows are primarily fundamental frequencies I f'n love that gutty growl u get with those old maple Tele-B necks........u lucky sob :D :(

#8 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:45 PM

now THIS is a big Bass

#9 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:51 PM

lol

#10 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:48 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Mar 28 2010, 12:48 PM, said:

thanks guys. i don't see an issue re intonation (the neck screw holes did not line up, as the pocket was longer, farther in toward the bridge, but i took this into consideration when placing the bridge. yeah, there where no pre drilled holes. i was sweating it out when i was drilling for the bridge mount...). it sounds very modern. i love the alembic pups. they really go along with the classic jbass pup placement. no chub, just tight lows mids and highs. the neck is as thin as a fender jazz can be, but has the tele headstock. it's not chunky. it's actually almost too skinny. action is fine, and i feel lucky, as the neck was sitting in storage for 10 years, without being strung. i half expected it to just warp crazy once string pressure was put on it, but so far, so good :D

I'm no bass expert (there's a joke there but I'm gonna lay off) but I've heard they're hard to keep intonated, let alone what you did on that project. Many props my man, looks great and I'll bet it sounds even better. :( That's awesome that there was no neck twist after that much time in storage. Must've been nice and dry in there. I have an old tele neck (hard to pin down but maybe '77 or so?) that I always wanted to build around, like a Warmouth body or something. But I waited too long and didn't store it properly 'cause now it's as twisted as a Pittsburgh Penguin fan. I keep it near my back door now and break icicles down with it and whatnot.

#11 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:18 AM

:(

#12 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:52 AM

Meh, don't fret MO.

(lol, see what I did there? Sometimes I crack myself up.)

Sucks I couldn't build a tele with it but it's serving double duty as icicle breaker and self-defense weapon. It's one thing for a burglar to get clocked in the head with a baseball bat but to get owned by a Tele neck---well, crap, that burglar might as well kill himself from the shame. It'd be like Tom Petty serving as bodyguard. Embarrassing is what that is.

#13 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:55 PM

Wow, great job MO. My bass I got (used) for 100$ including the amp and new strings. Ever heard of "Typhoon"? O_o Surely doesn't sound like yours, but it's still fun to play :P

On a side note, look at THAT: Posted Image
The guy is awesome. The 9 strings are probably more for show than anything, but he does manage to get some pretty unique sounds out of that monster. He's part of the band Unexpect, from Montreal. Some weird prog-black-death metal that most of you probably couldn't stand hearing for more than a minute, but really good nonetheless, hehe.

#14 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:26 PM

hey hog, that there is a "bee" bass. i have a seven string (not a bee, though), and the fretboard is way too wide as it is. can't imagine playing a 9er... :P

#15 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:05 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Mar 29 2010, 02:26 PM, said:

hey hog, that there is a "bee" bass. i have a seven string (not a bee, though), and the fretboard is way too wide as it is. can't imagine playing a 9er... :P
I had never of that before, but I've looked into it and it seems they make up to 10-strings basses! :) I wonder if they really are popular enough to make some decent sales of them. Probably not a lot of people in the world who use them. And it must be a pain when comes the time to change the strings! :rofl:

Oh and I don't even want to know how much a thing like that costs...

Now that I think of it, would you make me one like yours? If I asked nicely? :rofl:
Ah well, someday when I get good and I play enough so it's worth it, I'll get myself a new one, maybe a 5-string. Could play Dream Theater, Megadeth and more... :rofl:

Edited by hog, 30 March 2010 - 03:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users