33 replies to this topic

#1 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 05:05 PM

For someone who has always used Intel processors, I was skeptical to switch over to AMD. When the time came, for a new PC. I could either choose the Intel Duo core or the AMD duo core. Anyway as all of you know I made the leap and chose AMD.

After researching the two and I discovered that the prices here, AMD was cheaper I took the leap.
All that I can say is that so far I have not been let down, I am quite happy that I took the leap.

So what do you use and why?

#2 David_Heavey

David_Heavey

=IBF2= Cofounder

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 05:33 PM

AMD all the way.

"Linoman" said:

AMD was cheaper I took the leap.
All that I can say is that so far I have not been let down

Same reason for me. I just can't wait til end of November when the new AMD4x4 is due out :chriso:

I'm saving the $ already :cool2:

#3 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 15 October 2006 - 06:06 PM

AMD user, because... well, I like AMD better then Intel at the time of my first PC, because they were the underdog... I usually choose underdogs :chriso:

#4 simon

simon

simon says Post

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 06:57 PM

I like AMD the others died after a few months of use... I still have a socket A 550 running

#5 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:01 PM

So far only AMD users have replied to the topic,, btw guys I don't want this turning into a war

#6 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:11 PM

I like AMD, they are a great company and are far more ethical then Intel. However, this time around I couldn't play favorites due to the money I had. I had to buy the best for the buck. However, normally I would be AMD all the way even if they were not as good. There is something to say about companies that use American and European workers instead of Asians.

#7 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:33 PM

I dont look at the company but the product, with that said, Intel and AMD both put out good products. Each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Intel is supurb in Graphic design, much faster in photoshop than AMD. Number crunching with an intel is also much better.

AMD is better in gaming, CGI, MP3 ripping, and just an all around good chip for the price.

I have no peference, but look at what the machine will be doing and pick the right chip for the job

#8 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:39 PM

I could not have said it better Dave

#9 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:45 PM

I prefer AMD for the simple reason they have better business practices, but I am all about the performance. So when Intel came out with a better CPU, the Conroe, they became the sought after one. However I believe AMD will have a better one to kick butt soon enough.

#10 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 15 October 2006 - 08:21 PM

My first AMD CPU was a 5x86-133 (486 system) that I got to a screaming 123 Mhz. I haven't looked back to Intel since. By all accounts, the Conore is the hottest thing on the market and for Intel, I give them the credit they deserve. However, that will not be a factor in my next CPU purchase. I am big on loyalty to things. AMD has always served me well at a price that made TCO more than worth it. I will stay with that thinking even though it may not be the fastest or the greatest. The market jumps back and forth as to who has the greatest and the best. With my point of view, it really does not matter. I will go with AMD getting the most that I can for the money that I have at the time. Perhaps that is a cop out to having to make a decision but for me the decision is already made and that is AMD...talker. :smoke:

Edited by talker, 15 October 2006 - 10:04 PM.

#11 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:56 PM

Talker I love your loyalty!! When I get out of school I will for sure be AMD all the way forever!!

#12 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts
  • Interests:An abundance :P

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:59 PM

I use intel because they just come with every pc I've owned, however I have a laptop that is AMD and after playing with a few computers of my friends, I am falling victim to liking AMD... I just wish I could afford the switch to 64 bit

#13 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 01:49 AM

I would have called myself an AMD fanboy! I've always hated Intel the way some hate MS. It turns out I'm a performance guy with no loyalty. Whichever proc gives the most bang for the buck, I'm there! :cool2: Sheesh! I already have 3 Conroes to only 2 X2 AMD procs. One of the Conroes is still awaiting parts. It's just sitting in a drawer. :chriso:

#14 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:13 AM

AMD is better in gaming

This was certainly true in the past as games didn't always use complex shader models and pixel processors.
Most games were CPU driven and therefore required a good CPU.....which AMD had thanks to its short pipelines.

This is no longer the case because games have become more GPU driven......and less dependant on the CPU.
Modern game engines use complex shaders which put the burden on the graphics card.....making this the limiting factor in terms of 3D performance.

I've switched to Intel as their Core 2 Duo chips are good value for money and pretty amazing.

:chriso: :cool2:

#15 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:28 AM

heck, the new stuff coming out...i still am an smp bloke...dual quads will do. whomever can pull off the cool
cpu combo for dual quads has my vote... :chriso:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users