Vista Install Problem??

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:42 PM

OK....a little poser here peeps :unsure:

I'm upgrading someone's system this weekend which had Vista running on it no problems. (goes against the grain for me but there you go)

The system as I received it:

ECS AMD690GM-M2 motherboard
AMD 64 3600 X2
1 Gig RAM
80 Gig Drive
Onboard X1250 graphics
Cheap 400W PSU

I originally installed Vista on the above a few weeks ago with no problems.

The new parts I have installed:

ATI X1950 Pro PCI/E graphics
600W OCZ SilentXStream PSU

Using the SAME Vista disk, I cant for the life of me get it to install??? No other changes have been made??

It always hangs on the 'Completing Installation...' phase and the little dots move back and forth until they stop and that's it?? Have left overnight to see if its just slow installing but it never gets past this stage. <_<

Now, before the 2 parts were fitted it installed great, but I cant see these actually being the cause of the problem?? I tried another copy of Vista just to make sure the disk wasn't dodgy and that failed also.

Anyone have any ideas?? Personally I want to shove XP on the damn thing, but the owner is adamant he wants a new install of Vista. :cool2:

Edited by scaramonga, 08 July 2007 - 10:54 PM.

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:09 PM

install using the onboard, then switch... :unsure:

#3 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:18 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Jul 8 2007, 04:09 PM, said:

install using the onboard, then switch... :unsure:
that would be my call too

#4 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:56 AM

Yeah...had thought of that....gonna try it today. Dunno why the GPU would be stopping it from installing though?

Cheers guys! :unsure:

#5 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:36 PM

could be an irq weirdness/shared memory thingy, but i bet you will be able to switch them after install with no hassle.

#6 othman11

othman11

head redneck

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:51 PM

:unsure: <_< That should fix it!

#7 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:20 AM

View Postothman11, on Jul 9 2007, 06:51 PM, said:

<_< :cool2: That should fix it!

Yup!! that's about the gist of it.

Well after a whole day wasted fiddling with this piece of crap they call an OS??, I did eventually get it to install by shoving another HD into the system. (kinda funny as it installed on the previous one a few weeks ago) :huh: The drive ain't faulty as I put it in an XP machine to test tonight and it's running fine? - seems Vista is picky as to what SATA drive it gets installed on!!

So I get the whole system up and running with all updates installed OK.....seems things are going a little better.......NOPE!! Having a play around in the Control Panel brings up the BSOD (I ain't had one of them since High School!). A quick reset sees the system boot back to the desktop (after downing a couple of beers waiting for it to do so) and low and behold all seems OK.....but wait....the Sidebar is missing?? hmm! A scout around the desktop alerts me to a few running programs missing also :unsure: ...NOD32 to name but one (which I have installed on many Vista systems without error). I go to the programs menu and attempt to start NOD32 manually - "Vista can't find the files specified" LOL!! WTF!!!?

I think....OK.....I'll scout around and look for an answer in Google. I load Firefox 2.0.0.4 and BSOD number 2!!! :RJsPC:

I telephone the owner of the PC and say to him that the upgrades have been installed OK and that I have fitted a brand new HD at no extra cost to himself....(he now has a 200Gb SATA drive instead of the 80Gb one that was fitted) and that if he wants that piece of **** called Vista on his system....then he can do it himself!!

Turns out that he's more than happy to have XP back on after a little research himself. FFS!! if I'd known that beforehand, I'd have saved wasting a whole day :panic:

System up and running fine on XP. All updates and Apps installed without so much as a hitch. He'll have it back tomorrow morning. :storm:

#8 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:27 AM

i bet it's the mobo/bios... :unsure: <_<

#9 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:24 PM

What a busy day you had man !

~

i bet it's the mobo/bios...

...maybe memory ?

I already had probs with a ddr stick that didnt like Vista rigs... :unsure: I always got BSODs during system load... funny is that in other XP rigs i had no prob <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users