22 replies to this topic

#16 patman174

patman174

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:45 PM

Well, from my experiences with there athlon xp processors, there older ones were not all they were cracked up to be. I would of much rather had a pentium 3 than the athlon xp. The newer cores in the newer athlon xp's are much better. The proccessor runs well. AMD is a cheaper processor as well for the budget user like me. Im not trying to fuss or argue with anyone, my prior post was just to inform everyone of the history of both companies, so they wouldnt fly off on something, that they did not know all the facts about. If i didnt say state everything that needed to be stated in it, please someone finish up the facts for me.

#17 RedInferno

RedInferno

Your mom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:12 PM

Thanx for the link, Vis.

#18 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:16 PM

ok ok guys lets keep it on wax, intels are rubbish and Amd's rock, clearly we all agree on this :P

only messing :D

#19 RedInferno

RedInferno

Your mom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:17 PM

I actually agree...MOST of the time Intels are way better and are better at heat management when OC'ed/

#20 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts
  • Interests:An abundance :P

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:23 PM

umm... Red... re-read what you just said... i think you meant AMD not intel... AMD stays cooler when OC'ed

#21 tntoak

tntoak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 04:47 AM

Im not knocking AMD for Intel, but if you read into the history of both of these companies, you would see that AMD got there start from Intel. Yes, Intel may licensce some ideas from AMD now, but if not for them in the beginning, there would not be an AMD to get ideas from. When Intel was making processors for personal computers near the start of the craze, they had so many orders, they could not keep up, so they gave there plans to a small no name company Advanced Micro Devices (AMD). This was to help the burden of making all the processors wanted by the consumers. This is how AMD got there start. Yes, they have branched out and came up with there own ideas and they have there own people, but dont knock Intel for there stuff. You got to respect them for who they are.

Actually, when IBM first started making PCs, part of their contract with Intel required that a second-source supplier be made available to help meet demand. It wasn't that Intel couldn't keep up w/ demand, it was that the only way they could get the contract with IBM was to name a second source. At one point, Intel unilaterally cut off AMD from the designs (the latter 286 and 386 series), a decision ultimately overruled in court, which led to the AMD K-series of processors.

That's the real story of why AMD was given the license to make compatible processors.

#22 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts
  • Interests:An abundance :P

Posted 27 October 2005 - 01:49 PM

ahh my beloved AMD K6 2... So that's how it came about... Thanks for the info :P

#23 RedInferno

RedInferno

Your mom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 03:56 PM

Now i know what it is...thnx! :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users