rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:34 AM

View PostBlueScreenOfDeath, on Mar 12 2008, 06:24 PM, said:

got mine running Mo...u must me doing something wrong

yep, like going along with scara, and installing vista :friends:

(did you install the x64bit version and use an 8800gt?)

#18 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:25 AM

Are all Vista 64 drivers working with Server 2008? I'm seriously tempted to give this a go. :friends:

#19 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:34 AM

View PostWFO, on Mar 12 2008, 07:25 PM, said:

Are all Vista 64 drivers working with Server 2008? I'm seriously tempted to give this a go. :friends:
the drivers i tried in the x64 version (audio and gpu) worked, though glass wasn't an option using the 8800gt. it is faster than vista, but it is still vista, somewhat. i wonder if the 32bit version will be more malleable...

#20 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:47 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Mar 12 2008, 08:34 PM, said:

the drivers i tried in the x64 version (audio and gpu) worked, though glass wasn't an option using the 8800gt. it is faster than vista, but it is still vista, somewhat. i wonder if the 32bit version will be more malleable...

Thanks Mo!

#21 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:08 AM

ah heck, i just might try the 32bit: gotta have that glass :friends:

#22 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:11 AM

Glass works OK here on 32bit, but as I hate the thing, I'm running the Win95 look for speed. :) ATI CAT's 8.3 drivers with the control panel installed (Vista). :friends:

#23 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:41 PM

OK, lets suppose that we d/l and install Server 2008, do all the extending of the time limit, reach the 240 day limit, and then see that we really like the OS. What will it take to buy a copy of Server 2008? I have a feeling that the price will make Vista look like DOS 5.0 in price comparison. Call me cynical but just thought I would toss this out. I have Vista on a laptop (x86) and a desktop (x64) but they both are secondary systems so I am not too concerned with how they perform. My production system is still XP x64 SP2. It still performs like it was brand new and has been loaded for several years now without a reload...talker. :friends:

#24 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:07 PM

OK, lets suppose that we d/l and install Server 2008, do all the extending of the time limit, reach the 240 day limit, and then see that we really like the OS. What will it take to buy a copy of Server 2008? I have a feeling that the price will make Vista look like DOS 5.0 in price comparison

Well there is a fix out now for Home Server, although it does interfere with a couple of system properties, so not quite perfected yet. But I'd say that 240 days will be more than enough time to overcome these little niggles. :friends:

As for the cost? Photoshop CS3 cost more than $1000 when released, and I have that running here on 3 systems.

I know what you're thinking....... "Did he pay for this or not?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky?

Well, do ya, punk?

:)

Edited by scaramonga, 13 March 2008 - 01:15 PM.

#25 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:17 AM

not very...installed 32bit server, and...aero! and...no audio! lol, it didn't like my 32bit audio drivers, yet it bit at the 64bit ones during my last attempt with the x64 version...i am really burnt out on vista. very disappointed. yes, no drm in the server (though with the addition of WMP, who knows?), faster than vista, until it comes to file transfers, and just as in vista, as fast as mud.i really wish apple would release their OS to run on all the new hardware we use. i'm so depressed...

#26 highlander

highlander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:20 AM

if this is the same core.. why can't we make vista run as fast as server2008?

#27 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:28 AM

View Posthighlander, on Mar 14 2008, 09:20 PM, said:

if this is the same core.. why can't we make vista run as fast as server2008?
DRM buddy, MS wants the OS to do what they want it to do, not what you want it to do. slows the whole OS down

#28 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:44 AM

View PostNvyseal, on Mar 14 2008, 09:28 PM, said:

DRM buddy, MS wants the OS to do what they want it to do, not what you want it to do. slows the whole OS down

Hate to ask a dumb question...but just where does the DRM kick in in Vista??? AnyDVD and CloneDVD work just peachy!!! :graduated: Is it HD only?

#29 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:33 AM

View PostWFO, on Mar 15 2008, 12:44 AM, said:

Hate to ask a dumb question...but just where does the DRM kick in in Vista??? AnyDVD and CloneDVD work just peachy!!! :graduated: Is it HD only?
I think its all the O/S has to poll the vid card and sound card and all that crap to make sure no uncompliant hardware is running HD without DRM
From what I was reading the O/S checks the hardware alot.

#30 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:24 PM

to anyone running this: can you tell me which add in audio cards work in the 32 bit version? i would use onboard, but while my server board has the azalia audio, i have no audio jacks(!), and my auzentech card is not "accepted" by device manager (in the 32bit, fine in x64 version).
thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users