9 replies to this topic

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:43 PM

images/news/generic.jpg]The field of particle physics is poised to enter unknown territory with the startup of a massive new accelerator--the Large Hadron Collider (LHC)--in Europe this summer. On September 10, LHC scientists will attempt to send the first beam of protons speeding around the accelerator.

The LHC will put hotly debated theories to the test as it generates a bonanza of new experimental data in the coming years. Potential breakthroughs include an explanation of what gives mass to fundamental particles and identification of the mysterious dark matter that makes up most of the mass in the universe.

"The LHC is a discovery machine. We don't know what we'll find," said Abraham Seiden, professor of physics and director of the Santa Cruz Institute for Particle Physics (SCIPP) at the University of California, Santa Cruz.

Some believe that black holes might possibly be produced by the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). Two men have filed a federal lawsuit in Hawaii in an attempt to halt the LHC due to their concerns about the safety of black holes. Giddings' study has been cited by CERN as evidence of the safety of the LHC.

Read More

What will we find? Are we fooling with something we shouldn't be?

Talk Back...

#2 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:29 PM

I'm for it... this branch of physics is simply fascinating. Now with LHC it's time to go deeper in quantum physics experiments. :)

#3 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 03:10 PM

I don't understand a damn word of this, but it looks freaking cool lol. Except if we find ourselves sucked into a black hole in a couple of weeks, then it won't be cool.

#4 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:11 PM

:D oh crap I thought it said hardon collider.......never mind :)

#5 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:46 AM

View Posthog, on Aug 24 2008, 10:10 AM, said:

Except if we find ourselves sucked into a black hole in a couple of weeks, then it won't be cool.
I don't understand. How would that not be cool?

I don't know about you, but I don't want to die of pneumonia at 83. I want to get sucked into a friggin' black hole and have my atoms ripped apart and spewed into another dimension. If it has to happen in a couple weeks, so be it. You just don't get many chances like this.

In fact, when they flip the switch on that thing, I'll be waiting for it on my roof in nothing but a tin-foil hat. (Tin-foil protects against Hawking Radiation, fyi.)

#6 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:16 PM

View Postbrewin, on Aug 24 2008, 10:46 PM, said:

...I'll be waiting for it on my roof in nothing but a tin-foil hat. (Tin-foil protects against Hawking Radiation, fyi.)

Posted Image
looks good on ya!

:)

#7 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:04 AM

I don't know about you, but I don't want to die of pneumonia at 83. I want to get sucked into a friggin' black hole and have my atoms ripped apart and spewed into another dimension. If it has to happen in a couple weeks, so be it. You just don't get many chances like this

I'm with you. I always wanted to travel to another dimension.

#8 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:35 AM

Maybe a black hole back to the 1960's, peace & flower power, and no sign of Vista........right on! :)

:D

#9 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:37 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Aug 25 2008, 11:16 AM, said:

Posted Image
looks good on ya!

:D

My obligatory tin-foil hat pic:

Enjoy! :)

Posted Image

#10 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:37 PM

Maybe a black hole back to the 1960's, peace & flower power, and no sign of Vista........right on!

Some COBOL ... and no sign of any Windows ! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users