16 replies to this topic

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:35 PM

I got a question PMmed to me, thought it would make a good topic of discussion.

What is the 64 bit version like? is there any gain performance and system stability in the 64 bit version? what are people doing for programs that don't run in 64 bit mode? is there some kind of conversion program from 64 bit to 32? TTYL

Thanks again XedOut

Well Im running 3 flavors of windows in 64bit. I see a burst of speed and a very stable OS in the OS itself, but am hard pressed at this time to find any Applications that are 64 bit. Symantec, for their 2006 antivirus WILL NOT be in a 64bit flavor, but have plans to make available a 64bit antivirus in the future.

Rightly so, all Application manufacturers are taking the same approach.

Hardware manufacturers are a different story. Having 2 x64bit rigs, I am having no problems with my drivers.

Ok with that, I am running Adobe Photoshop, Corel, Office 2003 and a heap load of other 32 bit software on a x64bit OS(s). I see a very small increase it any in these applications. I have not found any 32bit application that will not install on a 64bit OS. Others may have a different view.

I do have 2 flaws though. I am running a 32bit version of XP on my 64bit system and 1) notepad will needs to be maximized. Restore down, it goes to my system tray (like its minimized). 2) adobe photoshop is extremely slow.

I'll post more odd things as i see them :)

#2 OutlandishTrendz

OutlandishTrendz

Posting Machine!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 03:25 AM

XP x64 for me. Wow. As some may know me from other sites. I am a heavy desktop modifier. Some of these apps. Like Lclock, did not like to work (it has been fixed). The biggest problem I had was gettin Adobe Creative Suite 2, the whole suite, to install properly. You have to tell it to install at x:\PROGRAM~2\Adobe for it to install right. Other than those two things I never had a problem.

Although I wish they had put SATA drivers on the x64 editions. That was a fun lesson to learn. Glad I have plenty of systems to work with.

#3 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 08:04 PM

I recommend you guys speak to Exploding B0B and ask him to join, he wants to buy a 64-bit computer and needs somewhere to go for advice...just a thought

#4 Guest_Exploding B0B_*

Guest_Exploding B0B_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:12 PM

kw13, on Jul 30 2005, 08:04 PM, said:

I recommend you guys speak to Exploding B0B and ask him to join, he wants to buy a 64-bit computer and needs somewhere to go for advice...just a thought

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol, kw13, i'm fine. I already have a 64-bit rig I am just adding another to my collection; I know (roughly) what I am doing.

#5 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 01:47 AM

Exploding B0B, on Jul 30 2005, 03:12 PM, said:

Lol, kw13, i'm fine. I already have a 64-bit rig I am just adding another to my collection; I know (roughly) what I am doing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you have Vista B1 x64 for it yet?

#6 Guest_Exploding B0B_*

Guest_Exploding B0B_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:11 AM

nvyseal, on Jul 31 2005, 01:47 AM, said:

Do you have Vista B1 x64  for it yet?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I've not seen it around (although to tell the truth I've not been looking that hard). Is it any good? Is it worth my precious time to download it?

#7 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:42 AM

Well you could be one of the people to tell us mate, when are you getting the new system, not presuming your a n00b but i've never used a 64-bit OS/System!

Be good to here some stuff from the people who tried it :D

#8 Visentinel

Visentinel

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:18 AM

because the Athlon64 is a true 32bit and a true 64bit oddity's are impossible, there can be no different behaviour in your software because you have an athlon64 running 32bit windows, what you people are seeing is the non execute bit in XP sp2 running in hardmore mode coz the A64 supports NX

i highly recommend turning this off completely, that NX bit is nothing but headaches.

#9 nabz0r

nabz0r

Untraceable

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Network Security & CS 1.6

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:36 AM

I am having some problems in my x64bit, which are I can't run LClock and I couldn't run Anti Virus NOD32 but I've found a version which goes with x64bit.

Does anyone know how run LClock on x64bit? I can't find a version for x64bit :S:S

#10 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:22 PM

have you tried "run this program in compatibility mode"? it also might have a 16bit installer, which would put the kibosh on it, unless there is a workaround to use a different method of installation...

edit: from neowin:

Windows x64 please install LClock first then download this: LC64.rar. Follow the instructions in readme.txt. It is alpha, so please report any bugs you find. Thank you!

#11 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:54 PM

:rofl_mini: getting back to the original thread title, x64 is kinda like having a windows os that doesn't throw a bsod at u at least once a day :rofl_mini:

#12 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:05 PM

Never had a BSOD for months on x32, guess its how you configure and look after the thing?.........XP of course :rofl_mini:

:rofl_mini:

#13 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:05 PM

I think that you wouldnt see any drastic performance improvement moving to x64. Compatibility is still a prob and 16-bit codes cant be run. But think about having more than 4gb of ram.

GO x64 :rofl_mini:

:rofl_mini:

#14 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 12:25 AM

1&1/2 yrs (bit over really) and still loving my install of x64, runs 24/7. Don't care for the x86 much anymore.

#15 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 20 July 2008 - 12:31 AM

View Postscaramonga, on Jul 19 2008, 03:05 PM, said:

Never had a BSOD for months on x32, guess its how you configure and look after the thing?.........XP of course :rofl_mini:
:bigsmile:
:rofl_mini: aw Rik u wouldn't tell me if crashed anyway...would ya? :headbang:

Edited by stormrosson, 20 July 2008 - 12:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users