4 replies to this topic

#1 tadben

tadben

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:39 PM

Hi all
Currently i am configuring server 2003 to network my company's computers. In the roaming user's profiles, i faced a problem: the desktop settings i have changed for a user are not changing; in other words when i change a desktop and log out and logg in another computer the desktop is not following the user. what can i do fix this problem?

Thank U
Tadben

#2 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:30 PM

:chriso: Welcome to x64bit. Sorry, i can't be of much help, but others should be chiming in soon to help ya out.

#3 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:16 PM

Personally, I have used roaming profiles in the past for the company I work for. I will have my bachelors in networking in a few months so I'm around a lot of people that know a lot about this sort of thing. Personally, I would disable roaming profiles. I have yet to hear a good thing about it. If you talk to any IT profesional they will tell you it sucks! Uses a lot of bandwidth, storage, and long load times. Trust me it's not worth it!!

#4 Les Elton

Les Elton

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:23 AM

I use roaming profiles all the time, it has its tech issues to maintain but IMO the benefits far out way the support time costs. I would get a server tech who sets up Roaming Profiles for many companies to take a look at your setup as there are a number of other items you need to make your login time really zoom. In the end users should be able to login almost at any desktop assuming all your workstations have similar OS's and applications setups. If you Ghost or image your machines then you will already be at this level.

First you need to enable Group Policies, then you need to enable via Group Polices:
User Folder Redirection, direct this to a separate folder share
User Roaming Profiles, direct this to a separate folder share
User Home Drive, direct this to a separate folder share

As well there are some caching issues, I believe you turn off server caching on the actual folder you use for your "User Roaming Profiles" share. Its not a big deal but I would lean on someone who has set this stuff up before on 20 servers just to avoid some of the headaches that you really don't need to have.

Just my 50 cent worth

Les Elton,
Network Admin.
ABC Recycling Ltd
les@abcrecycling.com

#5 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:35 AM