• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:30 AM

Hey guys, just a quick question. I thought I had until March to back up my data...LOL Is there a way to get another 30days or so from Windows Home Server?

It just notified me that I have an hour before it shuts down on me...Crap! What to do...what to do...

I guess I can always slave the drive on my main system and pull the data that way huh?

#2 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:48 AM

pm sent

#3 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:49 AM

View PostChristopholofigus, on Feb 24 2009, 09:30 PM, said:

Hey guys, just a quick question. I thought I had until March to back up my data...LOL Is there a way to get another 30days or so from Windows Home Server?

It just notified me that I have an hour before it shuts down on me...Crap! What to do...what to do...

I guess I can always slave the drive on my main system and pull the data that way huh?

i hope...

#4 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:44 AM

I just think, this all started when I read the buzz on the seagate 1tb and 1.5tb hdd problems; we bought 6 1.5tb drives for work, and 4 out of 6 failed already...raid setups. When we did a little digging, i got a little scared about my 700gb of data that I have on WHS. I logged in to back up data and flash the firmware on the hdd and I got surprised with the 1 hour nag/warning screen.

#5 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:09 AM

that will do 'er... :christo:

#6 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:38 AM

Well, I'm going through the network instead of doing directly inside WHS. Funny thing, I got that nag/warning screen about the eval being up only when I was in there doing large file transfers. Hopefully doing it this way will avoid it:

Posted Image

:christo:

Oh, I am still planning to try and upgrade from the eval with a temp key and then again when I get the OEM WHS disc ordered...I just wanted to make sure I had my data backed up before doing all this...oh and update the firmware on my seagate 1tb drive to prevent failure.

#7 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:51 PM

how long have you had the drive up? i would have thought you would have noticed issues right off teh bat if teh firmware was funky...i have never flashed a drive, but have heard it loses whatever was on it? i dunno...lol, i'm such a noobz

#8 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:53 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Feb 25 2009, 07:51 AM, said:

how long have you had the drive up? i would have thought you would have noticed issues right off teh bat if teh firmware was funky...i have never flashed a drive, but have heard it loses whatever was on it? i dunno...lol, i'm such a noobz
:christo: I really need to get another 1tb for redundancy for my WHS. I have all my data on it...I would freak if the drive failed and I lost it all. Just with all the problems that we had with the 1.5tb here at work got me very worried. Time to purchase another drive when I buy WHS. I'm thinking that I might go with a WD black edition 1tb. Free shipping and $10 off at the egg right now with the promotion email.

//**********edit**********
Oh, and the transfer that is shown in my previous post failed. I came downstairs this morning to check on it, and my desktop 'puter had restarted..but hey, at least the updates had been installed on it :storm: LOL

I have had the drive since 09-28-09. I have yet to check the serial number against Seagate's list to see if it is one that they suggest to flash.

Edited by Christopholofigus, 25 February 2009 - 05:32 PM.

#9 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:34 PM

:christo: Well, I just bought WHS off the egg. I didn't buy another hdd just yet. I am going to put my 500gb & 250gb hdds in the box and have WHS duplicate and run a software raid1...so to speak (from how I understand it)...after backing up the data and reinstalling WHS.

Edited by Christopholofigus, 25 February 2009 - 07:35 PM.

#10 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:40 AM

Either snag the 2TB WD or get the WD Black, I have one and I saw so much issue going on with the 1.5 Seagate I avoided it, maybe you will be lucky and it'll be fine for you.

#11 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:09 AM

I just received my seagate 1TB from dell. ran the serial # and model number through, said my drive was not one effected, and the firmware doesn't start with a SD**

#12 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:22 AM

Hopefully I can finish getting the data off my drive before I check the serial and firmware on it. Yeah Tweak, I was looking at the 1tb WD black edition...LOL I don't think I could justify the spending on the 2tb one :christo: Heck, give me 3 1tb in a raid5.

#13 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:58 PM

View PostChristopholofigus, on Feb 25 2009, 09:22 PM, said:

Hopefully I can finish getting the data off my drive before I check the serial and firmware on it. Yeah Tweak, I was looking at the 1tb WD black edition...LOL I don't think I could justify the spending on the 2tb one :roadrunner: Heck, give me 3 1tb in a raid5.

Either way you'll end up better off I think, the green might be one I snag later on this year possibly IF I decide to move forward with an extra using a X-QPack case I just picked up for free. It doesn't have the piece of worthless junk original power supply anymore which is great, so I have that as well picked up yesterday. I hate the color green so I may just have to do some painting sometime...IF I find time.

#14 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:23 PM

View PostTweak, on Mar 1 2009, 05:58 AM, said:

Either way you'll end up better off I think, the green might be one I snag later on this year possibly IF I decide to move forward with an extra using a X-QPack case I just picked up for free. It doesn't have the piece of worthless junk original power supply anymore which is great, so I have that as well picked up yesterday. I hate the color green so I may just have to do some painting sometime...IF I find time.
Nice score James! :roadrunner:

#15 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:15 PM

Western Digital Caviar GP 1TB IntelliPower Serial ATA-300 Hard Drive $89.99

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_...duct_id=0273266

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users