• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:10 PM

Link

MSNBC always does a nice job with their articles. This one is a great read!! I was really surprised to see the end.

#2 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:21 AM

WOW! didnt see that comming <_<

#3 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:22 AM

Really, it looks like a fun system!! The fact that it appeals to people of all ages is what will make is sucessfull!!

#4 BlueScreenOfDeath

BlueScreenOfDeath

~* Hardware & Beta Guru *~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 05:01 AM

Gotta give nintendo credit ... their going old school.... all the need to do is stop making ALL child type games

#5 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 03:57 PM

Yeah I agree with ya there!! But it seems to be working for them.

#6 godless

godless

GTA 4 is a ps2 relic with better graphics...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:10 PM

Apparently games have become too complex for some older games, guess she doesnt know that new games have in fact in many cases been dumbed down.. <_<

#7 godless

godless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 10:55 PM

Sony to Lose Roughly $240, $300 Respectively on 60GB, 20GB PS3s

#8 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 11:28 PM

Yeah, I read similar numbers to those! That is a lot of money!! I personally don't know how they can afford it since they also have the battery fiasco to deal with!! I would say as a company they are hurting right now!

#9 godless

godless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 01:31 AM

ya, and the core fiasco, apparently the core is a pain in the ass to manufacture

#10 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 04:12 AM

Well, unlike the 360 the cost of production for the PS3 is going to go down slowly and in very small amounts!! They are going to be lossing money on it probably at least for a year!

#11 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:43 PM

The main reason (I believe) that Sony is selling the PS3 at such a huge loss is to get Blu-ray in as many homes as possible. Sony makes a lot of movies and they have a lot of money riding on Blu-ray beating out HD-DVD as the successor to the DVD.

I still can't decide whether I want a PS3 or a Wii. The Wii is cheap and innovative, but doesn't seem "futureproof" at all, while the PS3 is expensive but (if Blu-ray wins) will probably last me 10 years. One minute I'm sure I want the Wii, and the next minute I want to wait for the PS3 to come down in price. I might have to flip a coin.

#12 ShadowGate929

ShadowGate929

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Things :)

Posted 20 November 2006 - 03:29 AM

View Postbrewin, on Nov 19 2006, 03:43 PM, said:

I still can't decide whether I want a PS3 or a Wii. The Wii is cheap and innovative, but doesn't seem "futureproof" at all, while the PS3 is expensive but (if Blu-ray wins) will probably last me 10 years. One minute I'm sure I want the Wii, and the next minute I want to wait for the PS3 to come down in price. I might have to flip a coin.
When you say 'future proof' you should think about the older PS2s, the ones with the bad lasers that crapped out after a year :jerry: (I had one of those, repaired it too, but it crapped out every 3 weeks 'till you couldn't tighten the screw anymore and it popped off) and that was only a DVD drive, image Blu-ray!

I've played both systems and actually bought a Wii today. I must say that there isn't anything new in the PS3, granted it's got a nice 'six-axis' controller, but it's still just a ps2 hooked up to a car battery.

The Wii on the other hand doesn't want to do all the fancy stuff, high def, movie player, etc. hell, I've already got a DVD player <_< now I have two... and hell, if it breaks, you're out 250, not 600. I don't know if anyone else has seen it, but the PS3's warranty is only for 1 year.

+ Blu-ray won't make it, it'll go the way of betamax, sadly. I did like Blu-ray a lot, still do, but it's least likely to survive. HD-DVD has name recognition and all plus a wider range of movies. I was at gamestop today and they have 4 movies out, 'The Fifth Element' (which they spelled wrong) 'Underworld: Evolution' 'Mission Impossible 3' 'Ice Age: Meltdown' and 'X-Men 3: Last Stand'

:jerry: 5 titles...

#13 godless

godless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:15 AM

I think this movement controller stuff is a gimmick to sell the ps3 and wii, but until i play the wii or ps3 i cant really have a real opinion on it. i still dont get why the ps3 has a cpu like the core... hopefully blu-ray will win, they already got M$ considering putting it in the x-box 360, haha

Edited by godless, 20 November 2006 - 06:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users