4 replies to this topic

#1 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:08 PM

Microsoft just released Windows Vista Service Pack 1 but that doesn't mean they are resting on their laurels. Amongst other things, Windows Vista Service Pack 1 includes support for DirectX 10.1, something ATI would be profoundly happy to mention time and time again as only their graphics cards at the moment support DirectX 10.1.

Isn't it odd that NVIDIA has yet to include support for DirectX 10.1 even in their latest releases, the GeForce 9600 GT and the GeForce 9800 GX2? In fact, they have virtually thumbed their noses at that "insignificant" update. Well, they have their reasons. Six years ago at SIGGRAPH 02, NVIDIA's chief scientist, David Kirk, was already talking about ray tracing :

“I’ll be interested in discussing a bigger question, though: ‘When will hardware graphics pipelines become sufficiently programmable to efficiently implement ray tracing and other global illumination techniques?’. I believe that the answer is now, and more so from now on! As GPUs become increasingly programmable, the variety of algorithms that can be mapped onto the computing substrate of a GPU becomes ever broader.

As part of this quest, I routinely ask artists and programmers at movie and special effects studios what features and flexibility they will need to do their rendering on GPUs, and they say that they could never render on hardware! What do they use now: crayons? Actually, they use hardware now, in the form of programmable general-purpose CPUs. I believe that the future convergence of realistic and real-time rendering lies in highly programmable special-purpose GPUs.”
Full article

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:34 PM

Posted Image
wow, quite a differene...dang

#3 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:53 PM

Yup, that's pretty amazing! I don't know how soon it'll be implemented but I'm really looking forward to it!

#4 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:15 PM

View Posthog, on Apr 1 2008, 01:53 PM, said:

Yup, that's pretty amazing! I don't know how soon it'll be implemented but I'm really looking forward to it!
It would be cool, but this article is a joke. Look at the third page.

#5 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:34 PM

View Postbrewin, on Apr 1 2008, 12:15 PM, said:

It would be cool, but this article is a joke. Look at the third page.

brew, why did you have to ruin the fun, we could have had this going for ages... :g:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users