• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jhp_2003

jhp_2003

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:00 AM

I have a problem with my linux box. I installd Fedora Core version 6 a few days ago. The box runs great. However, I can't install anything on it. I have tried reading various articles online, but nothing seems to help out much.
I must admit, that this is my first attempt at something other than Windows...and my knowledge of Linux is pretty much nothing.
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or pointers regarding installing programs on Linux Fedora Core, or regarding Fedora Core in general.

#2 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:15 AM

ok, schematically, it's this:
1. Install happens with the RPM package manager
2. You can only install as root
3. Mind dependency's!!

That's probably one of your problems, but you're not specific enough to make it clear to me.

#3 jhp_2003

jhp_2003

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 03:21 AM

During my reading, I did run across that I wsa supposed to use RPM as the installer...though I don't really know how to use it.
I know that it's command line driven, but beyond that, I don't know.
Also, I don't know how to log in via root. Is that inside the command line interface where I have to type something to get it into root?

Again, the extent of my knowledge of Linux is minimal. So sorry if these ?s seem kinda trivial.

#4 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:40 AM

For an RPM, (edited to remove incorrect answer).

This is a resource for the Redhat Package Manager. Maybe it'll help.

For root, you can type 'su' to borrow root permissions in your user environment or type 'su -' to really login as root and have the root environment.

g'luck.

Edited by banj0, 24 December 2006 - 06:59 AM.

#5 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:10 AM

I prefer APT and Portage-based distros to RPM-based, so I don't know much about Fedora. But doesn't it come with a GUI for RPM? A quick search comes up with an app called Pirut.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/

#6 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:38 AM

rpm commandline is
#rpm -Uvih package.rpm
Uvih means Update Visual Install H(something)
That usually works

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users