#1 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:27 PM

Is Linux finally ready to take on Windows as a desktop OS? InformationWeek tried out both Vista and Ubuntu on individual PCs to see which works better. Here's who won.

Summary:
Ubuntu has better out-of-the-box software than Vista.
Ubuntu is free, Vista is expensive.
Ubuntu still relies too much on the command line.
Vista has plain-language documentation, while Ubuntu docs assume some basic Linux knowledge.
Ubuntu Live CD is an easy way to try out Ubuntu. Vista doesn't have anything like this.
Vista is generally more polished than Ubuntu.

Conclusion:
Both are adequate but could be better. But you might as well download the Ubuntu Live CD and try it out for yourself.

#2 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:21 PM

At one point he talks about drivers for his laserjet, I got to say he is saying linux is not so good because of drivers support, well the manufacture of the product is the only one that can change that. he says the linux users have reverse engineered the drivers to work, but its still a hassle to install, well seems to me if they didnt not have to do the extra work it would be included in the O/S.

Here is one point where the guy says windows vista an Ubuntu come in at a tie, Ubuntu also tries to simplify the process of adding programs that aren't installed through the above-mentioned package manager systems. For instance, if you insert a CD, Ubuntu attempts to detect the presence of valid packages on the disk, and offers you the chance to install them.

Another Windows-like feature in Ubuntu is the ability to set preferred applications for certain common functions -- your default Web browser, mail reader, or console application. Unlike the Removable Drives and Media Preferences console, though, the choices you can make are available from an existing drop-down list; you don't have to provide the name of a specific executable, although you can if you want to. Vista's way of handling the default programs issue is a little more central, via the Default Programs section in Control Panel; there, you can set defaults by program, file type, or protocol.

One thing I liked about Ubuntu was the way you could browse in the Add/Remove Applications list for free software hand-picked by the Ubuntu community. The closest thing in Vista is the Digital Locker feature, where you can purchase software online and download it in a protected fashion. In addition, a number of free / trial programs are available through their system (such as the free version of AVG Anti-Virus).

I think thats BS, as the overwhelming availiblility an easy of install is hugely in Ubuntu's favor.

Edited by Camaro, 27 April 2007 - 08:26 PM.

#3 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:48 PM

He may have a few good points, however his Vista bias is pretty evident, vista is not as user friendly as XP.

#4 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:53 PM

View PostCamaro, on Apr 27 2007, 03:21 PM, said:

I think thats BS, as the overwhelming availiblility an easy of install is hugely in Ubuntu's favor.
I've never even heard of Digital Locker, so I can't really say how (or if) it compares to Synaptic. The fact that most software in Synaptic is open source should give Ubuntu an edge over Vista in software installation though. I'm not a big fan of trials.

#5 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:05 PM

View PostCamaro, on Apr 27 2007, 03:48 PM, said:

He may have a few good points, however his Vista bias is pretty evident, vista is not as user friendly as XP.
Honestly, I think it's one of the most unbiased comparisons I've read. Both have strengths and both have weaknesses.

#6 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:06 PM

I will not answer here.

#7 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:13 PM

I still can't get the linux smp client to run, so I am having problems in Ubuntu. I prefer Vista any day!!

#8 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:16 PM

View PostSphere, on Apr 27 2007, 04:06 PM, said:

I will not answer here.
Why not?

#9 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:52 PM

Linux is becoming more and more polished... and i like it ! I think that there will be a day when we will be able to use Linux for every single task, with no need of Windows, but that day didnt arrive yet.

Its just a Linux Noob opinion... :chriso:

#10 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:10 PM

so, how was your minty linux experience? please do tell :chriso:

#11 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 03:44 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Apr 27 2007, 04:10 PM, said:

so, how was your minty linux experience? please do tell :chriso:
:rofl:
i am responding from yet another reformat...minty froze in mid install. ubuntu fiesty errored before the finalization of partition resizing...suse failed to resize the windows partition also. and after all this, i, again, lost my vista partition... :rofl: well, time for a beer... :chriso:

#12 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 28 April 2007 - 04:01 AM

:chriso: Hey MO... I simply dont understand :rofl: What a bad luck :chriso:

#13 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 04:33 AM

View Postvrosa x64, on Apr 27 2007, 09:01 PM, said:

:chriso: Hey MO... I simply dont understand :rofl: What a bad luck :rofl:
i wonder if i got bad copies: i am using magiciso to burn the distros. before i was using dvddecrypter, and never had problems with bootible media...yeah, weird errors/freezes :chriso:

#14 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 04:40 AM

I used Nero to burn the ISOs, but i dont think it makes any diference... MagicISO should do it nicely...

#15 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:04 AM

I agree, this is prolly the most unbiased that have been done, however that does not mean that he is not biased, I have to say if he was comparing XP to Ubuntu the bias would make more sense, One of the things about vista that really annoyed me was an is the fact that it is the most linux like windows I have run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users