• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 KelpFries

KelpFries

Oops....my bad!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Getting through the day without being hassled.

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:00 PM

Later today and into tomorrow I am going to attempt to do a triple boot project with my MacPro. Mac OS X, Vista x64 and Kubuntu 7.04 (Fiesty) x64. Why am I doing this on my prized expensive MacPro? Probably because i'm an idiot, or crazy, or both, who knows. I've been wanting to run the Fiesty beta now for a little while but dont want to mess around having another box under my desk. I need Mac OS X for development, I need Windows for work, so I can't get rid of either.

The install has to be done manually, partitioning using the Mac terminal and can't be done using Boot Camp.

I will post screenies when I'm done (if it works).

#2 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:20 PM

Good luck kelps, keep a log of how you do it, it will probably come in handy for other users :chrisno:

#3 KelpFries

KelpFries

Oops....my bad!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:37 PM

I will, I will also write some kind of guide on how to do it. Two issues here, 1) running 64 bit OS's, Boot Camp doesn't support 64 bit Windows, Xp or Vista, 2) Running Linux in a dual/triple boot environment on an Intel based Mac. Has to be 64 bit Linux here as well, of course. Boot Camp also does not support Linux installs. So in this case Boot Camp is useless and I have to use other means to partition the Mac drive and install the OS's.

#4 KelpFries

KelpFries

Oops....my bad!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:21 PM

Ok, got Kubuntu 7.04 (Fiesty) x64 loaded up and running, although the boot loader is a little dodgy and ill have to do some work on the EFI to fix it, but it boots, loads all the drivers and works fantastically.

Attached Files

#5 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:09 PM

It probably would've be easier to install Gutsy since it comes with a 2.6.22 kernel and has better Intel Mac support.

What bootloader are you using?

#6 KelpFries

KelpFries

Oops....my bad!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 12:25 PM

No boot loader, uses EFI so it shows up in the EFI list along with Mac and Windows. I like Ubuntu the best out of all the distro's. Chose Kubuntu this time because I like KDE better than GNOME.

#7 KelpFries

KelpFries

Oops....my bad!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:01 PM

Got all three OS's running nice and smooth here this morning without any problems. As far as Intel Mac support, Kubuntu 7.04 x64 is running fantastically and all of my hardware works, sound, video, network, even picked up my external SAN. As far as I can tell, Kubuntu 7.04 has full MacPro support.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google