11 replies to this topic

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:06 AM

OCZ in combination with Indilinx, for example, is poised to release new firmwares for OCZ's entire line-up of Vertex Series SSDs that performs active garbage collection while the drives are idle to restore performance to like-new condition, even on a severely "dirtied" drive.

Early indications are that OCZ new garbage collecting firmwares add even more value to what were already popular SSDs. Kudos to OCZ and Indilinx for putting in the effort to enhance the long-term performance prospects of their drives.

Read about the test on Hot Hardware

#2 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:19 AM

Sounds really cool. I've always liked OCZ stuff, very solid.

#3 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:41 AM

View Postbanj0, on Aug 10 2009, 11:19 PM, said:

Sounds really cool. I've always liked OCZ stuff, very solid.
Me too, I like my OCZ RAM, with those honeycomb-shaped heatspreaders. I've always like honeycombs. With some milk. In a bowl.

#4 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:32 AM

i'm testing it now...i've just re flashed the drives. i'm giving it a shakedown using the mobo raid on my tyan. i'm under a NDA atm, but i expect folks to be pleased with the results.

#5 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:33 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Aug 11 2009, 01:32 AM, said:

i'm testing it now...i've just re flashed the drives. i'm giving it a shakedown using the mobo raid on my tyan. i'm under a NDA atm, but i expect folks to be pleased with the results.

cool, thx for testing MO. Looking forward to the results.

View Posthog, on Aug 11 2009, 12:41 AM, said:

Me too, I like my OCZ RAM, with those honeycomb-shaped heatspreaders. I've always like honeycombs. With some milk. In a bowl.

I never had any with the combs. But, for sure, kinda like memory lane talking about OCZ mem sticks. MO, Storm, Scara, Enip., Brew, Talker, Roady, hog, Nvy et. al--remember when OCZ Plat. Rev 2's were THE choice for Oc'ing a 939 rig? lol. Dang, must've pushed those things to 4 billion Kelvin clocking those modules. I sent my two sticks of 256 each to Pyro for his birthday many moons ago after I bought some Titanium. What a long strange trip it's been since amd64 chips came out. To this day, I'm partial to that OCZ brand. Not above any others, course, but holy cow were those modules kickass.

Edited by banj0, 11 August 2009 - 06:35 AM.

#6 scaramonga

scaramonga

CALLING ALL STATIONS

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:13 PM

View Postbanj0, on Aug 11 2009, 07:33 AM, said:

cool, thx for testing MO. Looking forward to the results.
I never had any with the combs. But, for sure, kinda like memory lane talking about OCZ mem sticks. MO, Storm, Scara, Enip., Brew, Talker, Roady, hog, Nvy et. al--remember when OCZ Plat. Rev 2's were THE choice for Oc'ing a 939 rig? lol. Dang, must've pushed those things to 4 billion Kelvin clocking those modules. I sent my two sticks of 256 each to Pyro for his birthday many moons ago after I bought some Titanium. What a long strange trip it's been since amd64 chips came out. To this day, I'm partial to that OCZ brand. Not above any others, course, but holy cow were those modules kickass.

Now that is one trip down memory lane banj0 :green_beer: it seems such a long long time ago lol but they were good sticks indeed buddy :cc_surrender:

Let us know the results of the testing MO, you lucky boy :unsure:

I now hope that OCZ can deliver on the 'Turbo' version of this FW pretty soon for my SSD so I can get this thing up and running ASAP.

#7 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:44 PM

:green_beer: as of 10:00 AM PDT, OCZ released a "sneak peek" FW for vertex drives w/offical win7/osx/linux ata speced trim to an awaiting mob of ssd users!!! :unsure:
the drives now basically "look after themselves", so to speak. :cc_surrender:

hey scara, it is not far behind. they wanted to make sure there were no "gotchas" before putting it up. soon :scara:

bad news: my adaptec still doesn't cut it :o ...ah well, they work sweet on the mobo ports til i can save up for a new sata/sas6 card :huh:

#8 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:57 AM

link (thanks Mike) http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/sh...ead.php?t=60700

FW1.40 available for download here VERTEX ONLY...Sneak Peak for Vertex users of FW 1.40
For now this is for Vertex users ONLY, Agility has 4 different IC (Nand Types) which means we are building an AUTO Selector for the Nand on this drive...short of it is you need to wait.

So Vertex will flash OK
Agility you need to wait
EX you need to wait
Turbo you need to wait

The flasher is just like 1.30 except it is just 1 file now. VTX30_14.exe means 30GB Vertex FW 1.4.

When flashed the FW on your drives will show as BETA...this is because we may have to tweak things still, but its solid enough right now for you to flash and test.

So...its a DOS flasher in IDE mode...NO JUMPER NEEDED. back up to be safe but it is a NON destructive flash...so your data should remain intact.

Flash one drive at a time, power off and replace the drives between each flash.
To be able to flash the drive has to have 1.30 already.

I am sneaking this out early for you guys so no change-log yet, once OCZ make it FINAL they will publish a change-log to the OCZ.COM site. I will also change the files here on the forum from the BETA one to FINAL...if you need to flash again I will let you know.

This flash is covered under warranty, if you return a drive with this FW on it we will honour your RMA etc...so do NOT worry

This is the FW with TRIM and Improved garbage Collection. Discuss the FW in this thread ONLY.

Harshw has worked some magic on an all in 1 iso...here are the details:

Below is the ISO file for updating your Vertex to 1.4 firmware. Yes you read that right, it is just ONE iso image for all Vertex sizes. It contains four firmware flashers.

VT30_14.exe: for 30GB
VT60_14.exe: for 60GB
VT120_14.exe: for 120GB
VT250_14.exe: for 250GB

#9 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:26 AM

:cc_surrender: