14 replies to this topic

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:09 AM

images/news/linux.jpgCanonical, Ltd., the commercial sponsor of Ubuntu, today announced that it won Enterprise Open Source Magazine's Readers' Choice Award for the "Best Linux Distribution," voted on by members of the open source community. The award was announced at the 2007 Enterprise Open Source Conference in New York.

"The Ubuntu community and our end-users strive to create and work with a version of Linux that is simple, elegant and easy to use," said Jane Silber, director of Operations, Canonical Ltd. "The Readers' Choice Award is another proof point that we are achieving our goals and meeting the needs of the greater computing community."

Read More

#2 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:33 AM

I use Ubuntu every day and really like it. But I'm curious as to why Mark Shuttlesworth continues to pour money into a "free" OS. Maybe it's cynicism but at which floor is this elevator going to stop? I hope he's not going to emulate Novell.

In the interim, we get a pretty damn good OS for free while he's paying top dollar for open source programmers. Philanthropy?

#3 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:33 AM

Sweet. It's the best one I've tried and I've tried a lot of them. I think it'll only get better.

Interestingly, I'm running 7.10 alpha 2 and my uptime is "5 days, 9 hours, 47 minutes." Pretty good for an alpha. I haven't booted into XP in over a month.

#4 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:42 AM

View Postbanj0, on Jul 9 2007, 11:33 PM, said:

...But I'm curious as to why Mark Shuttlesworth continues to pour money into a "free" OS. Maybe it's cynicism but at which floor is this elevator going to stop? I hope he's not going to emulate Novell... he's paying top dollar for open source programmers. Philanthropy?

:cool2:

another steve jobs at the gates???

The Ubuntu community and our end-users strive to create and work with a version of Linux that is simple, elegant and easy to use

lol, elegant as a load of manure <_< ...hey, next he will be telling the "followers" that the mothership is coming to collect them...tom cruz loves kubuntu :unsure:

#5 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:00 AM

View Postbanj0, on Jul 10 2007, 01:33 AM, said:

But I'm curious as to why Mark Shuttlesworth continues to pour money into a "free" OS.
I always just assumed that he does it because he likes it. I read his blog and it seems to confirm my belief. I mean, the guy spent 20 million dollars to visit space just because he wanted to. He's a rogue entrepreneur and so far it's worked for him.

But for Ubuntu to continue to improve, Canonical will need to make money. I think the plan is to gain market share and then sell support. A couple ways they're trying to gain market share are by improving the server edition and creating a new mobile edition for PDAs and phones. And of course by making the desktop edition better than any other distro.

Case in point, the #1 bug in the Ubuntu bugtracker is and always has been "Microsoft has a majority market share."

#6 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:25 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Jul 10 2007, 02:42 AM, said:

lol, elegant as a load of manure :unsure: more jobs speak...

bah. <_< Ubuntu is sublime when compared to most Distros.

That which sucks from your perspective is that which is a bright light from mine.

#7 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:33 AM

View Postbanj0, on Jul 10 2007, 12:25 AM, said:

bah. :cool2: Ubuntu is sublime when compared to most Distros.

That which sucks from your perspective is that which is a bright light from mine.
:unsure: uncle tom

But for Ubuntu to continue to improve, Canonical will need to make money
<_<

#8 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:55 AM

banj, i have ta say, i love linux. the idea of it. i have to have a distro on the box. patty is freaking me out, because she prefers it to windows! but this whole "the distro that will rule the marketplace" thing is just yucky...

#9 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:06 AM

Ubuntu all the way <_< :unsure:

#10 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:33 PM

hey, next he will be telling the "followers" that the mothership is coming to collect them...tom cruz loves kubuntu

<_< :cool2: :storm:

LOL! Ubuntu is good for the newcomer to Linux though. :unsure:

#11 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:46 PM

View Postscaramonga, on Jul 10 2007, 09:33 AM, said:

LOL! Ubuntu is good for the newcomer to Linux though. :unsure:

True, but there are also quite a lot of very experienced *nix users that have chosen to make Ubuntu their OS. Unless you need to run Phlak day in and day out ( <_< ) it's a decent choice.

#12 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:49 PM

View Postbanj0, on Jul 10 2007, 09:46 AM, said:

True, but there are also quite a lot of very experienced *nix users that have chosen to make Ubuntu their OS. Unless you need to run Phlak day in and day out ( <_< ) it's a decent choice.

true, indeed :unsure:

#13 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:35 PM

well, i decided to be a "good" ubuntu user after all: i placed the ubuntu disc on an alter made entirely from victoria's secret bras; then i lay prostrate before it, praying that i may become it's most humble of hosts. when that didn't work, i installed it in vmware...

Posted Image

(how do you install a tar in ubuntu? i need the vmware tools, at least i think i do, but they don't supply a deb of them...)

#14 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:35 AM

edit: misread question.

Edited by banj0, 11 July 2007 - 05:37 AM.

#15 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:49 AM

View Postbanj0, on Jul 10 2007, 10:35 PM, said:

edit: misread question.
:lust:

(sorry for being such a miscreant as of late, m8 :) )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users