3 replies to this topic

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:35 PM

A self-replicating worm Linden Lab dubbed "grey goo" overtook online world Second Life Sunday, forcing the world's owners to block all logins but their own for about half an hour. According to comments on the company's blog, the worm planted spinning gold rings in the world. Perhaps a Pavlovian response by fans of Sega's old Sonic the Hedgehog game, or an indication of the general curious nature of people playing Second Life, players willingly interacted with the objects, spreading the worm even further. As the worm spread, players reported serious lag in the virtual world.

According to blog entries posted by Linden Lab, the company blocked users from logging in at about 2:45pm PST in order to manually eradicate the virtual world of the rings. Login capabilities were restored half an hour later.

The worm may well be the largest of its kind to hit an online world.

Source

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:09 PM

i was wondering when something like this would come about. well, looks like they have it sorted. for now...

#3 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:15 PM

I tried that second life thing last week and just didn't get what they heck you do!!! Seemed like a real waste of time to me! Go out and buy a real game!

#4 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:19 PM

View Postchriso_86, on Nov 20 2006, 10:15 AM, said:

I tried that second life thing last week and just didn't get what they heck you do!!! Seemed like a real waste of time to me! Go out and buy a real game!
lol. i think it is more of a virtual community kinda thing. my daughter tried it when it first came out (she was a real big "There" fan at the time), but didn't care for it as much as "There".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users