Battlefield 2142 With a Dash of Spyware!

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:02 PM

Direct your attention to this forum post, where we read of a disheartening little slip of paper that suggests some seriously gross spyware will be installed along with Battlefield 2142, all in the name of in-game advertising:

When you open the box, a big slip of paper falls out first, preceeding any discs or manuals. The slip of paper says, essentially, that 2142 includes monitoring software which runs while your computer is online, and records "anonymous" information like your IP address, surfing habits (probably via cookie scans), and other "computing habits" in order to report this information back to ad companies and ad servers, which generates in-game ads.
Kotaku

:talker:

#2 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:02 PM

I would say it is time for a boycot!!! That really makes me mad!!

Another thing I got an e-mail today saying my preorder from Best Buy got pushed back until Dec. 21st!!!!! What the heck does that mean!!! :talker:

#3 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:25 PM

i had heard of the "in game" ads a bit ago, but thought it would just be a graphic, and not live spam, plus the spyware... :talker:

#4 mattyboy

mattyboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 02:14 AM

I'm not buying it!! The game that is. My patience with Electronic Arts ended with BF2. I'm done.
I'm totally serial!

View Postchriso_86, on Oct 17 2006, 07:02 PM, said:

I would say it is time for a boycot!!! That really makes me mad!!

Another thing I got an e-mail today saying my preorder from Best Buy got pushed back until Dec. 21st!!!!! What the heck does that mean!!! :talker:
Also, theres always going to be enough copies of a game. Even if they sell out the first day whcih is rare, it not like a piece of hardware that cannot be duplicated fast enough. Pre-Ordering has become the way to that companies guarantee a purchase through hype and scare tactics. Although I know its not a life threatening issue, lol, its just annoying how they try to get the idea across that if you dont pre-order, you'll NEVER get a chance to play the game EVER! No offence to you BTW for pre-ordering it, I used to do that with console games all the time, but that was before they actually encouraged it and advertised it. When I was doing that, EB games wasn't even sure how to do a pre-order transaction, they always had to call a manager. LOL

Edited by mattyboy, 18 October 2006 - 02:14 AM.

#5 David_Heavey

David_Heavey

=IBF2= Cofounder

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:33 AM

Money saved for me. I heard about the ingame advertising a few weeks back but had no idea it would be this bad. Don't EA make enough money anyway with the prices they charge for the player slots on a ranked server?

If it was up to me alone, I will not be putting 2142 on my ranked game server. Just think of it. Hackers hacking games to get your IP and what not .... No thanks EA.

scaramonga, if it's ok with you I'll post this link up on my site.

Thanks

Dave.

#6 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:58 AM

scaramonga, if it's ok with you I'll post this link up on my site.
Go ahead Dave!........spread the word buddy! :talker:

Shockin stuff for ANY software company to implement...........

#7 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:48 PM

You know I think I am going to call up best buy and cancel my order. The more I hear about this thing the more mad I get.

#8 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:44 PM

would spybot search and destroy be able to use a bot in the game, thus thwarting any data mining?

#9 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:36 PM

I doubt it mo.

#10 David_Heavey

David_Heavey

=IBF2= Cofounder

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:56 PM

No they won't Mo. EA use Punkbuster to stop cheaters and the like. If it detects ANYTHING that should not be there it will kick you from the server.

#11 mattyboy

mattyboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:26 PM

View Postchriso_86, on Oct 18 2006, 08:48 AM, said:

You know I think I am going to call up best buy and cancel my order. The more I hear about this thing the more mad I get.

Good for you! Ill still play you in BF2 anytime you like, since we own it already right?

#12 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:29 PM

Yeah, dude!! Just let me know when and where and I will play. I am not that great though. I am only a sergeant so you will have to be easy on me. lol

#13 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 01:27 AM

Well, I did it!! I called Best Buy up and cancelled my order!! That spyware crap made me mad!! The guy on the phone asked my why I was cancelling and I told him I heard about the spyware and myself and a bunch of my friends are boycotting the crap until they take it off!! :talker: They guy said he agreed with us and said it was crap also!! It was nice to talk to someone of inteligence for once on a customer service call!! :talker:

#14 David_Heavey

David_Heavey

=IBF2= Cofounder

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:17 AM

Good for you Chris.

I'm so angered by this I almost quit IBF2 last night because Spud (the other admin) wanted to get 2142 on our server. there is NO WAY I could andorse spyware of any kind. Lukily though, we can't put 2142 on our server so I'm staying put :pray: . It needs a specific server software to run. Yet another way for EA to rip off the public.

Edited by David_Heavey, 19 October 2006 - 11:20 AM.

#15 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:31 PM

I was at Frys today and the shelf was completely full, not a single copy sold. I was happy to see that.

EA I think will get nipped in the butt on this one!!

Good for you Dave for staying put on the server thing!! You don't have to run the newest and best game to have a sucessful game server!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users