• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:33 PM

Well, has luck would have it a computer at work died yesterday. Dell was way overpriced so I am ending up selling my current Opteron rig to my boss for a server!! Therefore, I am building a brand new Conroe system to replace my Opteron. I plan on walking through all the basic steps needed to building your very own system for all you newbs that what to get into building your own computer! And for the rest of you guys that already and smarty pants just tag along and check out all the sweet pictures to come!! :storm:

First off I had to order parts!! This is probably one of the most important steps in building your computer!!! I usually start with the processor since everything has to be compatible with that!!

I went with a Intel Core 2 Duo E6600.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819115003

Next, I pick out the motherboard to match the processor socket. With the Conroe's the socket is LGA775. However, not every LGA775 board will work with the new Conroe's so you need to make sure!!!! I ended up going with the Asus P5N32-SLI SE. This is because I want the option to go SLI later down the road. However, now is when you need to make the choice weather or not your are going to go with ATI or Nvidia. You can still use a ATI card on this board but not in Crossfire!!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813131031

Then I found some memory to fit my board. This board supports DDR2 667. In today's world I would recommend getting 2 1gb sticks since games are utilizing this more and more everyday!! When selecting memory you want to find some with low timings. DDR2 timings are higher then DDR at the moment but they will come down over time. I find that good memory Manufacturers are: G.Skill, Muskin, Corsair, OCZ, and Super Talent. Many people have their own preferred brands though. Also, read the reviews on the site to see if people say if the memory is good at overclocking or not. In most cases memory is the most important peice of equipment when trying to overclock. I ended up going with some G.Skill that had really nice timings. This is my first time using G.Skill but many people speak very highly of them so I guess we will find out!!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820231051

Now you need to get your video card, hard drives, and optical drives. These are pretty much whatever you like. Just make sure you have the correct interfaces. For example most new motherboards will be PCI Express, so don't get a AGP by accident. Also, most boards now support SATA hard drives which are much faster then IDE so try to get those if you can. I use NEC and HP dvd burners. For a video card I have a XFX 7900gt. For my hard drives I have 2 160gb hitachi SATA II drives, and 2 320gb Segate SATAII drives. Don't spend to much on a video card until the DX10 cards come out early next year. All of these parts I already have from my last system so I will not be going into depth on them.

Next, we need some good clean power to drive this beast!!! In many cases people buy really nice parts but skimp out on the psu!!! The PSU is the most important part in your computer. If you have a crappy power supply you risk destroying all your other parts in your system. So, DON'T GO CHEAP!!! I went with a 750 watt Silverstone. I wanted to get a 1000 watt but just can't afford it right now. If you can get the 1000 watt PC Power and Cooling get it because video card requirments are just going to keep going up!!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817256006

Finally, we need a sweet case to put all of these sweet parts in!!! I decided to change from my beloved Antec P180 to a Thermaltake Armor Jr. Cases, are really whatever you like and most people like something different.
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ductCode=371303

I find that purchasing from newegg is the best. However, I have ordered several items from zipzoomfly.com as well with equally great results.

Well, all the parts are on the way now!! They should be here by the end of the week. So, when they come we will continue with some more fun!! Check back!! :rofl:

#2 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:41 PM

WOW, you're gonna have a high-spec machine ! :storm:
Hope the parts are with you this week to give you good fun time ! :rofl: :gutar:

#3 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:44 PM

Thanks vrosa!! Yeah, it looks like all the parts are going to be shipping today which is pretty amazing when ordering so many things!! So, I am hoping it will all be at my door step by friday night. However, I have a wedding to go to so I probably won't get to play with it until Sat. afternoon. :storm:

#4 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:15 PM

this is going to be a sweet machine! :storm:

#5 David_Heavey

David_Heavey

=IBF2= Cofounder

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:13 AM

Grerat stuff Chris :gutar: :storm:

#6 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:34 PM

Well, all my stuff from newegg is on the way!! Half of it will be in tomorow and the other half on friday. However, the case went fedex and they decided to be slow on this one so I won't get it until Monday next week!! Kinda sucks because you can't really do anything until you have the case! Either way, I will still post pictures of the boxes and the parts to quench your thirsts!!

#7 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:55 PM

cool, i love pre fitting. show the stuff!

#8 simon

simon

simon says Post

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 03:00 AM

sounds cool Im next on the list its been some time for me cause I never did get that am2 when it came out

#9 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 03:40 AM

Sweet!!! What you going to build simon?? Either way, can't wait to see it as well!!

#10 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:47 PM

Well, once again building computers is teaching me patience over and over again!! :storm: Most of my parts arrived Thursday and then Friday. However, the case didn't show up until this afternoon (Monday). It never ceases to amaze me that the one part that you need first will always be the part to come last! :P Anyways, I am still waiting for some screws that I am missing inorder to mount my after market hsf. I was taught at a early age that it is ony worth doing something if you are going to do it right. So, I will hopefully get the screws I need tomorrow and be able to finish.

Well, I was able to get some stuff done such as mounting the power supply, my hard drives, and optical drives. I was also able to get the cpu mounted.

When mounting a cpu make sure you remeber several things: clean your hands well before starting so you don't get greese on the chip, only touch the edges of the chip NEVER THE PINS ON THE BOTTOM!!!!!
If you have ever done a AMD processor install the Intel's are slightly different in the way that the male end of the pins are on the motherboard instead of the cpu in AMD's case. Because of this you only need to set the processor on in the socket as it is not going to sit down into any holes like the AMD's have.

Attached Image: IMG_0064.JPG

There really is no way to install the processor the wrong way with these processors due to a physical key on the processor.

Attached Image: IMG_0065.JPG

Now just do the opposite of how you opened the brackets inorder to lock the processor into place securly.
My pictures show exactly how I took each step.

Attached Image: IMG_0066.JPG

Attached Image: IMG_0067.JPG

Attached Image: IMG_0068.JPG

Attached Image: IMG_0069.JPG

Well, sadly that is as far as I can get on the install for now. I will have pictures on how to install the hsf next time!!

For now, here are some more pics of my case that came and some of the parts!!

Attached Image: IMG_0063.JPG

Attached Image: IMG_0061.JPG

Attached Image: IMG_0084.JPG

Attached Image: IMG_0092.JPG

Attached Image: IMG_0093.JPG

Attached Image: IMG_0096.JPG

#11 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:45 PM

:storm: alright chris ;) now i'm starting to get "G.A.S." (gear acquisition syndrom) for new stuff :P

#12 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 12:05 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Oct 2 2006, 06:45 PM, said:

:storm: alright chris :chriso: now i'm starting to get "G.A.S." (gear acquisition syndrom) for new stuff ;)

LOL, I hear ya!! Can't wait to start this puppy up! I am working on cable managment right now. Trying to route as many cables underneith the motherboard as possible. :P

#13 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:22 AM

Very nice chris, can't wait to see it go together :storm: :P

#14 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:38 PM

Well, a little update for you all. Today I got the last parts I needed and put everything together. However, my power supply blew up in a stinky cloud of smoke. :storm: :chriso: I talked to Silverstone and they were very helpful and never got put on hold once. They were a great company to work with. They agreed for me to send it back to them and give them the tracking number when I get it. Once I do that, they said they would cross ship a power supply to me. However, they only ship ground and they are in California so it will probably not be until next week till I get into the fun stuff once again. So, once againg this goes to prove....patience.... patience.....patience. Just part of building computers. ;)

I did put in another power supply out of another machine to make sure everything was still working. I got into the bios and everything was working just fine which is a load off my mind. So now it is just down to waiting once more. :P I will keep you guys posted. Hopefully, I will have a new psu soon and with any luck it will acutally work. :D

#15 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:30 PM

chris, have you thought of just using the 600w psu? and holding on to the big psu for a rainy day, or when you go sli?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users