18 replies to this topic

#1 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:45 AM

So, I gots me a problem. I wasn't sure where to put this one as it pertains to hardware, 32 bit XP, 64 bit XP, possibly Windows 7, etc etc.

Is there a forum called "cluster#$@%"?

Anyhow, here's what's goin on.

Started getting RAID access failure errors from one of the 200gb HDDs I have in the 200gb x 2 RAID +0 array that I have my 2 primary operating systems on.

It is partitioned like so:

40gb XP 32 OS

360gb (approximately) XP 64 OS

I ran a SMART scan on the drive and it fails every time. So I figure it might just be dying since it's at least 3 years old.

So, I decided I wanted to recreate the partitions and operating systems on my 1.2 terabyte (2 x 640gb) RAID +0 array.

However, it already has about 800gb+ of data (read as: nun pr0nz) on it.

I then spent about 5 hours using partition magic to move the 800gb to the end of the array, making the space at the beginning unallocated, and building a 40gb partition and a 360gb partition at the beginning to house the operating systems.

Backed up all the crap off the 400gb array then tried to boot off an XP disk to put Windows on the bigger array.

Here's the issue:

Every time I boot with an XP disk (I've tried 3 different ones so far) it gets to the part where it says "starting windows" to bring me to the screen with the different drives, partitions, etc...

...and then it throws a STOP error.

It's a 7b stop error. I've researched the hell out of 7b stop errors.http://kadaitcha.cx/xp/stop_error.html#0x0000007B http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103 etc

The one I get is similar to those, but the second number is different.

Anyhow, I tried unplugging the raid array with the troublesome drive.

Tried unplugging the drive I have Windows 7 on (could this be part of the issue?)

Tried 3 different versions of windows

Only thing I can think to do is try to get an IDE dvd drive to try out, as the only one I have is SATA.

So, any ideas? lol

#2 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:54 AM

your 'switch to PATA' solution sounds reasonable, since I had the same problem with XP refusing to even see my SATA disks, until the installation was completed

#3 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:51 AM

This may sound stupid, but have you tried switching your SATA DVD drive to another SATA port and then booting with XP disk?

:P

#4 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:15 AM

Have you tried asking Sata Claus? :P

#5 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:57 AM

View PostSphere, on Dec 15 2008, 07:54 PM, said:

your 'switch to PATA' solution sounds reasonable, since I had the same problem with XP refusing to even see my SATA disks, until the installation was completed

Yeah, I'll definitely give it a go in the near future. I'm 95% certain I formatted this computer with a SATA dvd drive originally tho.

View Postscaramonga, on Dec 15 2008, 08:51 PM, said:

This may sound stupid, but have you tried switching your SATA DVD drive to another SATA port and then booting with XP disk?

:cc_surrender:

No luck. Same error.

View PostNvyseal, on Dec 15 2008, 09:15 PM, said:

Have you tried asking Sata Claus? :P

Might be my best bet. Know how to get in touch with 'em ye virus bringer? :cc_surrender:

#6 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:16 AM

What about rigging a bypass circuit with the dilithium matrix infuser? It's a long shot.........but it may just work?

#7 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:23 AM

So ANYWAY (dilithium matrix infuser my foot) it was alright for me to clear space at the beginning of a RAID array in order to slap an OS on there even though it already had data on it right?

I'm just wondering where the problem could be originating from. It can't be from the old RAID array w/the bad HDD, as it happens whether I unplug it or not.

It can't be from the presence of Windows 7 because it happened when I unplugged it too.

When I put Windows 7 on there, then used the Vista Boot Pro to get my old operating system options back, could that have caused whatever the hell is going on?

I mean, the error is the same thing and always occurs right at the moment when it's "Starting windows".

I tried 3 different versions of XP w/SP3. I'm going to try one with just SP2 for the heck of it.

TO be continued...more than likely.

I forgot to mention I already tried updating my mobo BIOS and clearing the CMOS.

Carry on.

#8 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:32 AM

I don't think changing installation media is going to make a jot of a difference, as from what I've read so far on this 7b error, it seems to be 99% hardware related, and I'm guessing SATA optical compatibility difficulties in your case.

I would almost bet that an IDE optical drive will not throw up this error.

#9 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:34 AM

Have you tried any other F6 floppy drivers offered by your mobo company? Different revs. or whatever?

#10 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:54 AM

Well, it'll probably be tomorrow before I get a hold of an IDE DVD drive, and I don't even have a working floppy drive right now. I have to NLITE drivers into my Windows.

I'll NLITE the RAID drivers I originally used into my SP2 disk and see what happens and try the IDE drive when I get a hold of one.

Thanks, fellers.

Edited by eniparadoxgma, 16 December 2008 - 03:55 AM.

#11 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:26 AM

i just don't understand you sata optical guys...

#12 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:19 PM

:P bah humbug I have 2, TSST Samsung sata drives in my rig and they work perfectly for booting ,burning, whatever :cc_surrender:

#13 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:17 PM

About time to dropkick the computer.

Bought an IDE DVD burner, and now I don't get that error anymore. (SATA CD/DVD drive issues were supposed to be resolved in the latest MOBO BIOS...gj guys)

But...Windows XP Pro set up refuses to see my RAID arrays. They're both striped arrays that are working just fine (on one right now). However, no matter how I try to get Windows set up to see them it refuses apparently.

Tried Nlite-ing the latest Nforce 15.23 drivers into the install disk. No go.

Tried making a floppy disk (yeah I bought another damn floppy drive) with the latest drivers. No go.

Tried using older Nforce RAID drivers, both on floppy and Nlite-ing. No go.

Tried using the plain SATA drivers from the Nforce folder. No go.

Every time I try to install XP on one of my RAID arrays it just sees the two non-SATA drives and that's it.

What gives?

#14 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:21 PM

what are the drive brands?

#15 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:28 AM

Okay. The problem seems to have been SP3. Reverting to an older SP2 disk of mine worked fine.

Just another reason to skip SP3.

Carry on. :roadrunner:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users