19 replies to this topic

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 11:56 PM

Los Angeles , CA - The MPAA is lobbying congress to push through a new bill that would make unauthorized home theaters illegal. The group feels that all theaters should be sanctioned, whether they be commercial settings or at home.

MPAA head Dan Glickman says this needs to be regulated before things start getting too far out of control, "We didn't act early enough with the online sharing of our copyrighted content. This time we're not making the same mistake. We have a right to know what's showing in a theater."

The bill would require that any hardware manufactured in the future contain technology that tells the MPAA directly of what is being shown and specific details on the audience. The data would be gathered using various motion sensors and biometric technology.

The MPAA defines a home theater as any home with a television larger than 29" with stereo sound and at least two comfortable chairs, couch, or futon. Anyone with a home theater would need to pay a $50 registration fee with the MPAA or face fines up to $500,000 per movie shown.

dont get too comfortable while watching that movie, you might be arrested! :bluerip:

Read More

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:24 AM

sorry, but my language would be filtered out if i go any further :bluerip:

#3 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:30 AM

Talk about killing the sale of all big screens!!!!! :bluerip:

#4 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:32 AM

I guess 50 bucks isn't bad, but it is still another way to get some money out of us!!

#5 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:47 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPAA
nice little nazi outfit...can anyone say mafia?

#6 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:32 AM

I hate to stop a good anti-MPAA discussion, but BBSpot is a satire news site.

Called "the world's greatest tech humour site" by The Register, BBspot creates entertainment for the geekier side of the world. BBspot produces a variety of features like fake news stories satirizing the tech and political worlds, the BBspot Mailbag which pokes fun at the Believers (people who believe our fake news) and much more.

That's not to say that something like this is beyond the Nazi-esque behavior of organizations like the MPAA...

Edited by brewin, 28 November 2006 - 02:38 AM.

#7 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:54 AM

I'm not sure exactly who or what the MPAA thinks they are. This portrays perfectly "Big Brother" from Orwell's "1984". If they think that I am going to tell them anything about my private home and who is in it and what we are watching, I will raise the red hammer and sickle flag first. If you are going to have to live with communistic type groups such as the MPAA then we might as well release all of our freedoms and live in a totalitarian state. At some point in time, We The People need to stand up for what rights we have left and tell them with one resounding voice..."NO MORE!". We have whimpered and backed down enough. The line has been drawn. It will be up to us whether they cross it into our living rooms or we defend it and send them back to where they came from...talker. :bluerip:

Attached Images

• Attached Image: MPAA.jpg

#8 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:02 AM

View Postbrewin, on Nov 27 2006, 06:32 PM, said:

I hate to stop a good anti-MPAA discussion, but BBSpot is a satire news site.
That's not to say that something like this is beyond the Nazi-esque behavior of organizations like the MPAA...
Thanks for that brewin, this does sound like something the MPAA would do. I could imagine them coming into your house and fining you for watching your TV and your movie. Probably would fine you more if you had Guests over, and didnt tell them

#9 talker

talker

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:08 AM

OK, so you got my goat on this one. I read the first post and all I saw was red (no pun intended). Even though this is a spoof, it is not far from the truth that I believe the MPAA would like things to be. Anyway, sorry for the rant but I will let it stand as written. Whether spoof or not, my feelings are the same...talker. :bluerip:

#10 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:11 AM

View PostNvyseal, on Nov 27 2006, 09:02 PM, said:

Thanks for that brewin, this does sound like something the MPAA would do. I could imagine them coming into your house and fining you for watching your TV and your movie. Probably would fine you more if you had Guests over, and didnt tell them
Yep, it definitely brings up some real Orwellian fears.

#11 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:17 AM

View Posttalker, on Nov 27 2006, 07:08 PM, said:

OK, so you got my goat on this one. I read the first post and all I saw was red (no pun intended). Even though this is a spoof, it is not far from the truth that I believe the MPAA would like things to be. Anyway, sorry for the rant but I will let it stand as written. Whether spoof or not, my feelings are the same...talker. ;)
Thats ok talker, i thought it was real too! :) ...

Wouldn't suprize me if it is real :bluerip:

#12 bluerip

bluerip

BS Meter embedded, BS attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:All things SciFi, Hidden Science,& Hiddin Truth

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:28 AM

This is another example of, "I can't believe this world we live in", which is what I say all to often in coversations with family and friends. I can only shake my head in disbelief. And after abit of shock wears off I wonder if anyone in the right place at the right time had the presence of mind to say or do something.
It's all "going in a hand basket..." isn't it?

#13 talker

talker

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:16 PM

View Postbluerip, on Nov 27 2006, 11:28 PM, said:

It's all "going in a hand basket..." isn't it?

It is...if we allow it to do so. From our complacency, from our whimpering without action, from our "somebody needs to do something" attitudes, it all will slip away. We need to realize that we are the somebody that needs to do something. One voice can't be heard over the clamor of the corruption taking place. Many voices, united as one, can change a city, a state, a nation. If we remain silent, then the consequences are predetermined. If we rise up, as one, and speak then our destiny and fate becomes one of our choosing, not theirs...talker. :bluerip:

#14 bluerip

bluerip

BS Meter embedded, BS attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:All things SciFi, Hidden Science,& Hiddin Truth

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:10 AM

and when the bullet flies by those that are there, they are the ones to shoot back or die. And if they do not this then leaves the mess to us. So who should I kill now?

#15 talker

talker

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 02:06 AM

View Postbluerip, on Nov 28 2006, 07:10 PM, said:

and when the bullet flies by those that are there, they are the ones to shoot back or die. And if they do not this then leaves the mess to us. So who should I kill now?

Kill them all and let God sort them out...talker. :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users