Vista....the 'Hype'

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:01 AM

I posted this on another board and would like your input........ :cool2:

Anyone getting tired of all this Vista 'hype' yet?

I don't know about you lot?....but there seems to be an over powering amount of Vista this and Vista that....

It seems to have been going on for years and years and I find that I'm becoming rather 'bored' with the whole Vista scenario.......It's actually beginning to put me off and make me not look forward to the actual release.

I've never liked the name Vista......and loathe it even more so now.

I also think that the final product will not be as polished and finished as we would like and will be rushed onto the shelves anyway......we will also have to endure many patches in the months to come after release.....fixing and breaking the OS along the way.....

Then there is the cost.......from what I have seen of the UK pricing......Microsoft should be wearing a stripy suit and a mask!

There can be no doubt that this is a nice looking OS.......but I feel that this will come at a cost......in the UK....if you were to upgrade your GPU and buy Vista at the same time......were talking £700!! here..

At this time......the more I hear anything about Vista.....the more I love XP....

Just wanted to hear your feelings on this peeps.......

S.

#2 bluerip

bluerip

BS Meter embedded, BS attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:All things SciFi, Hidden Science,& Hiddin Truth

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:46 AM

I've had my "ups and downs' with it. Seems to be taking forever.... if you know what I mean.

"I'll see it when I believe it"(Chriso 86)

Edited by bluerip, 09 October 2006 - 04:47 AM.

#3 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:33 AM

thing is, everything "looks" better, better utilization of the gpu and cpu, audio is way better than any xp
experience i have had (using onboard audio), superfetch does just that, all my drivers out of the box...kinda like a cool linux distro, except it looks better, and media playback/duplication is happening. heck, what did i miss? oh, the price...well, i'll run the rc2 til can get an oem, or the like. price will go down...

#4 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:39 AM

I am really looking forward to the Vista. It is about time that Windows updated. I personally think that Vista looks more Mac or Linux like IMHO.

#5 othman11

othman11

head redneck

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:45 PM

I finaly installed RC2 last night, so far it hasn't crashed or sqealed like a pig when you try to intall av. Haven't tryed any other apps as yet. RC1, wouldn't hardly let you install any app that remotely looked like it had an driver included.

The install tooke longer than Bet2 or RC1, but not by much. You still have to turn that UAC off to get anything down without vista asking evrytime you hit the enter key. :cool2:

#6 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 10 October 2006 - 03:18 PM

Well, of course after long time talking about Vista and so many tested builds i dont have the same enthusiasm, but anyway i still cant avoid testing every new build i get :rofl: . Vista is comming to stay ! :rofl:

#7 simon

simon

simon says Post

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:01 PM

Vista is well over due they need to start there next os maybe it will get out as planned..... yea right

#8 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:34 AM

Vienna is already and has already been in the works for some time now simon.

#9 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:53 AM

View PostTweak, on Oct 10 2006, 07:34 PM, said:

Vienna is already and has already been in the works for some time now simon.
yeah, the sausage OS...man, im kinda hungry now...

#10 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:54 AM

Here is some more "hype" about Vista and it doesn't sound too wonderful. The article concerns Vista Anti Piracy and WGA. Things are changing...a lot. In the forth paragraph look for the word "considered". I really don't like the tone of that. Take a look and see what you think...talker. :smoke:

Vista and Anti Piracy and WGA

#11 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:03 AM

i think that that is the state of affairs these days, if you use/purchase any "popular" OS. thank god for linux :rofl:

#12 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:48 AM

The problem that I have is what are the criteria that are "considered"? What makes this even more frightfull is that my RC2 x64 (5744) that I activated as soon as it was installed, just gave me a tray icon that, when I hovered over it, said I needed to activate Windows. I did (again) and it thanked me for doing so. What if this had been a production system that had been "considered" a pirate copy and went non-functional? Yeah, I know, I could have called MS and hopefully taken care of it but that should not be necessary. Not to mention the loss of productivity. Remember, in another topic, I said I had a gut feeling about Vista that something was hidden and all is not as it is shown or said to be. Perhaps this is the first of many underlying things that will begin to emerge as the RTM gets closer. We shall see...talker. :smoke:

#13 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:10 AM

I agree, I like the glass but I could care less about the O/S as a whole, I have not noticed any improvements in the builds I have tried, they do what I want an that is good, however they take up more resources, time, an eventually more money, I have used the vista transformation pack that gave me the glass, with xp and I like that. but I got bored of it, so I dont use it any longer.

#14 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:25 AM

You only need to look at the extra 'processes' running to see that Vista is more bloated.

I can get XP32 + XP64 running quite happily at a max 19-20 running processes......this is with WindowBlinds....NOD32 + Roboform installed and running 24/7!

After a bit of tinkering with Vista....disabling services etc....the least I could get it down to was 33!.....with NOTHING installed...... :rofl:

I'm a 'process' freak and get quite concerned with anything over 25 :rolleyes:

#15 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:24 PM

With the signed driver requirement, I have a feeling programs like AnyDVD and Alcohol may become history. That why I have stated x64 will probably be the last great OS. :rofl:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users