23 replies to this topic

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:39 PM

images/news/windows7.jpgMicrosoft is effectively giving away Windows 7 free for a year with the launch of the Release Candidate.

The Release Candidate is now available to MSDN and TechNet subscribers, and will go on unlimited, general release on 5 May.

The software will not expire until 1 June 2010, giving testers more than a year's free access to Windows 7.

"It's available to as many people who see fit to use it, although we wouldn't recommend it to just your average user," John Curran, director of the Windows Client Group told PC Pro. "We'd very strongly encourage anyone on the beta to move to the Release Candidate."

However, Microsoft has previously urged the millions of beta testers to start from scratch, and not simply upgrade the beta, in a bid to replicate the real-world experience of installing Windows 7. Those who are determined not to undergo a fresh install have to follow a workaround published on the Engineering Windows 7 blog.

The Release Candidate includes all the features that will be available in the final version. "The Release Candidate is the near-finished product," Curran said. "It's now just final regression testing and performance enhancements."

Microsoft refused to be drawn on the final release date of Windows 7, sticking to the company line that it will be ready by January 2010, although most observers are predicting a late summer/autumn 2009 launch.

However, Curran believes that Windows 7 has already lifted much of the negativity that surrounded its predecessor. "The positive energy and momentum is quite a bit higher than it was in the Vista timeframe," Curran conceded. "People are excited about Windows 7."

PC Pro

#2 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:01 PM

Thanks for the update X! I am soooo there, when Technet stops being funny...

#3 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:47 PM

downing now :cc_surrender:

#4 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:06 PM

:cc_surrender: cool MO , I tried but kept gettin the server overload message like with beta 1 :giggle:

#5 scaramonga

scaramonga

CALLING ALL STATIONS

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:37 PM

Nice :cc_surrender:

#6 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:56 PM

:cc_surrender: you gotta up that sucker to the batcave pronto MO .....ok? ol buddy ol pal :giggle: :giggle:............. on a different note, I wonder if full year activation on the RC will have any bearing on the RTM release date :P

Edited by stormrosson, 30 April 2009 - 07:08 PM.

#7 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:41 PM

View Poststormrosson, on Apr 30 2009, 01:56 PM, said:

:cc_surrender: you gotta up that sucker to the batcave pronto MO .....ok? ol buddy ol pal :P :giggle:

what Storm said. :giggle: :D

#8 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

View Postbanj0, on Apr 30 2009, 12:41 PM, said:

what Storm said. :cc_surrender: :giggle:
no worries :giggle:

#9 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:53 PM

lol Why did you guys just torrent it a few days ago? I'm assuming they're one and the same thing. My beta key worked fine.

I would've upped it but my crappy Uni-connection p00ps out if I try to upload anything over 100mb. :cc_surrender:

Have they stated whether or not it will be possible to upgrade from the RC to the actual release? I'm lovin this OS so far. No driver issues, RAID floppy shiznot, sub par performance, program compatibility issues (so far), etc etc. And it's all purtyfied! Yee haw!1!

#10 scaramonga

scaramonga

CALLING ALL STATIONS

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:06 PM

View Posteniparadoxgma, on Apr 30 2009, 11:53 PM, said:

lol Why did you guys just torrent it a few days ago? I'm assuming they're one and the same thing. My beta key worked fine.

And it's all purtyfied! Yee haw!1!

Yes. Your 'assuming', but we love 'clean' copies here (you know, the untampered ones) lol. :giggle:

Who knows what 'extras' you have in your copy? maybe none at all? :giggle:

I like my girl to be clean after my m8 has fuc£ed her, before I do, so to speak :P

Insist on FRESH! and CLEAN!, you really cant go wrong that way :cc_surrender:

#11 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:22 AM

View Postscaramonga, on Apr 30 2009, 07:06 PM, said:

Yes. Your 'assuming', but we love 'clean' copies here (you know, the untampered ones) lol. :P

Who knows what 'extras' you have in your copy? maybe none at all? :giggle:

I like my girl to be clean after my m8 has fuc£ed her, before I do, so to speak :D

Insist on FRESH! and CLEAN!, you really cant go wrong that way :giggle:

Bah, I'm not reinstalling again lol. I just put on 7077 the day before the RC hit the web.

I, also, of course, indubitably, would prefer a "clean" copy to a copy that's been jibber jabbered with.

Is there a way to check my ISO against the MS release? Hash sum MD5 checker explosion 4.9? I haven't as of yet seen anything out there about tampered-with RCs, but I know it's still a possibility.

Maybe I just prefer to live on the HOLY CRAP all my pictures are gone/Sweet someone stole my identity and therefore also my college loans debt and credit rating/Oh to F with it edge, kno what I mean? :cc_surrender:

#12 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:30 AM

:cc_surrender:

#13 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:35 AM

All my hash marks match the ones in the other thread. That mean I'm good? :cc_surrender:

#14 scaramonga

scaramonga

CALLING ALL STATIONS

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:20 AM

View Posteniparadoxgma, on May 1 2009, 01:35 AM, said:

All my hash marks match the ones in the other thread. That mean I'm good? :cc_surrender:

Yes Eni :giggle:

You can go back to your coffin and have a good sleep now, just mind and wash the hash marks off beforehand :giggle:

#15 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:46 PM

I'm just simply gonna reinstall.... I love reinstalling :cc_surrender:

Don't know, I sometimes even reinstall my OS if a full new release (or SP) is coming.
Don't know, I just like it clean

Downside... I sometimes forget to back... up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users