#18 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:56 PM

my link, or the official one?
i just changed my picture link to the official mozilla one.
edit: it's working again :friends:

#19 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:00 PM

Finally got it. The FFDL page was messed up

Posted Image

#20 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:05 AM

I hope it goes down again. :friends:
Kestrel is out now anyways.

#21 RJsPC

RJsPC

Sponge Bob Guru Pants

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:09 AM

View PostTweak, on Jun 17 2008, 05:05 PM, said:

I hope it goes down again. :pray:
Kestrel is out now anyways.

hm, so angry, so very angry, just breath slow and deep, you'll be OK :friends:

#22 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:26 AM

The D/L worked for me the first time I tried which was about 10 minutes ago. FF is installed and functioning. We shall see how FF works compared to IE as I go about my usual work. That, to me anyway, is the best way to test things. Normal use may take longer to test but then the test is real world and real time. My past experience with FF, in various versions and configurations, has not been favorable. Time will tell...

#23 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:30 AM

Firefox 3.0 Record Download Attempt Crashes Mozilla Servers

Mozilla hopes to successfully complete 5 million downloads of the Web browser in 24 hours and set a Guinness World Record.

By K.C. Jones
InformationWeek
June 17, 2008 02:05 PM

Mozilla's record-breaking attempt to massively release Firefox 3.0, the latest version of the only Web browser to compete with Microsoft (NSDQ: MSFT)'s Internet Explorer, unfortunately broke some of its servers as well.

Mozilla said it aimed to set a world record with the official release out of beta Tuesday. The latest version offers additional features, faster speeds, and enhanced security.

Mozilla encouraged users to host download parties so it could set a Guinness World Record for the number of downloads in one day. Currently, Guinness does not hold recorded information on the number of downloads in a single day.

Nevertheless, Mozilla has generated plenty of excitement about the launch, with nearly 2 million people saying they would download the latest version. In fact, so many people tried to access the site that the servers appeared to crash. Attempts to reach the site for the latest version of Firefox were unsuccessful at least 20 minutes after the 1 p.m. Eastern time zone launch. Mozilla hopes to successfully complete 5 million downloads of the browser in 24 hours.

In a brief Twitter, Gina Trapani, editor of Lifehacker.com noted how badly the download was progressing. "Uh-oh, getfirefox.com taking forever to load already... this is like a scheduled, 24-hour DOS attack," she said. Similar posts were being filed throughout the blogosphere.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/intern...cleID=208700161

Heavy Site Traffic Delays Firefox 3.0 Release
by Michael Muchmore

It appears that Mozilla has shot itself in the foot with the Firefox 3 Download Day Guinness Book of World Records attempt.

As of 2:00pm Eastern time, a full hour after Mozilla said that Firefox would be available, the site is sporadically producing errors reading "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable." A Mozilla rep said the team was working to get the download site up quickly.

A Mozilla blog post stated the following: "The outpouring of interest and enthusiasm around Firefox 3 has been overwhelming (literally!). Our servers are currently feeling the burn and should be back to normal shortly. Download day will officially commence once the site goes live. The 24 hours period will be clocked from that moment."

The statement acknowledges that the browser maker has missed its launch time of 10 AM Pacific Time, which was already a postponement of the announced 12:01am Pacific time launch.

PC Magazine has published a review of Firefox 3, which seems to be handling heavy traffic without incident.

http://www.pcmag.com...,2320476,00.asp

June 17, 2008 10:45 AM PDT
Problems delay Firefox 3 launch
Posted by Stephen Shankland 19 comments

Web site problems held up the launch of Firefox 3 on Tuesday.

The Get Firefox site went down near the 10 a.m. PDT launch time. Mozilla, the for-profit subsidiary of the Mozilla Foundation that oversees Firefox development, said it was having technical difficulties with the site.

Mozilla hopes to set a 24-hour record for most downloads with Firefox 3, but the delay shouldn't affect that much. "The 24-hour period starts when the site goes live," spokeswoman Melissa Shapiro said.

Update 10:51 a.m. PDT: Mozilla said in a blog posting that the site should be available "shortly."

"The outpouring of interest and enthusiasm around Firefox 3 has been overwhelming (literally!). Our servers are currently feeling the burn and should be back to normal shortly. Download day will officially commence once the site goes live," Mozilla said.

Update 10:57 a.m. PDT: Popular projects are tough to bring to the Web for mass download.

Ubuntu's Feisty Fawn version of Linux was overrun by Internet traffic when it launched in 2007. Likewise, Sun Microsystems couldn't keep up when it released the source code for OpenOffice.

Red Hat has used BitTorrent to try to distribute download pain among many interested users of its Fedora version of Linux. That's not a great solution if you want to track your download record, though.

Update 11:17 a.m. PDT: The download page was back up for me, fleetingly--but it only showed the link for Firefox 2.0.0.14.

Update 11:20 a.m. PDT: The site is up, and the download link is working for me. Let the record attempt begin.

Update 11:30 a.m. PDT: Whoops! The download I'm getting from the download pages is still for version 2.0.0.14. I guess there's still some work to be done.

The Mozilla page redesign has a crazy combination of Firefox 3 graphics but Firefox 2.0.0.14 files, but at least the Web site is crawling back.

http://news.cnet.com...-9970628-7.html

Firefox Fail: Download Day Derailed By Servers

By Brian Kraemer, ChannelWeb
2:27 PM EDT Tue. Jun. 17, 2008

For a company focused on innovation, user input and superior Web browsing, it's unfortunate that eager users are being locked out of downloading Firefox 3. Mozilla had been drumming up support for the upcoming release by ratcheting up its marketing machine with a simple message: On the day Firefox 3 is released, help us set a world record for downloads.

Unfortunately for Mozilla, it appears as if its marketing strategy worked too well. At the appointed time users began piling onto the site to download the browser, the servers crashed.

The open-source Web browser was scheduled to be released to the general public at 1 p.m. EST, June 17. Potential downloaders could find the download at GetFirefox, but the site is now unavailable.

An e-mail to Mozilla was answered promptly by Mike Schroepfer, vice president of engineers, at Mozilla. When asked about the problems with GetFirefox, Schroepfer wrote:

"Two things. One: We were planning on only offering full downloads today from GetFirefox.com, so "check for updates" will continue to return nothing (or an error if the systems are overloaded). Second, we've had a huge influx of requests so the systems are in fact overloaded—the ops team is working right now to bring up more capacity."

A check of DownForEveryoneOrJustMe confirms with the message: "It's not just you! GetFirefox.com looks down from here." Trying to access Mozilla's home page yields a Service Unavailable error as well.

Meanwhile, a survey of TweetScan shows that the Twitter community is also feeling the effects.

Comments run the gamut, from sympathy for the company all the way to anger.

"Trying to download Firefox 3.0. Not getting in" one user tweeted.

Another may have summed the situation up accurately and succinctly: "Note to Firefox, if you are wanting people to download your software and break the world record today, make sure your site can handle it."

For those truly desperate to upgrade from their beta version of Firefox, there is at least one option that can be investigated. A Wordpress blog written by Andrew Mager offers a link to potential Web browser redemption.

On a post titled "Download Firefox 3 From Me," Mager writes, "If you can't get into mozilla.org, you can get my copy here. I will report the download stats to Asa at Mozilla, so if you download from me, it will be counted in the world record!"

Mager offers a link that offers an executable file. Proceed at your own risk.

In fact, Mager's site may be another Firefox 3-related hoax. Some people with a wry sense of humor have taken another dubious online tack. Rick Astley videos.

Users who do decide to attempt downloading Firefox 3 from a site other than GetFireFox.com now have another worry: They could get Rickrolled.

http://www.crn.com/software/208700164

LOL. Good to be popular :friends:

#24 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:22 AM

hey, the softpedia link ran for a lot longer, and was up the most, and even when the "redirection" thing happened, they still had the link to 3 final....lol

#25 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:24 AM

...another dubious online tack. Rick Astley videos

hey, i like Rick Astley...

#26 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:58 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Jun 17 2008, 09:24 PM, said:

hey, i like Rick Astley...

Who?

#27 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:11 AM

View Posttalker, on Jun 17 2008, 07:58 PM, said:

Who?

:friends:

wow, they are removing them as i link...

#28 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:15 AM

or it is the fulkin FF release...
lol

#29 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco