19 replies to this topic

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 05:08 PM

images/news/vista.jpgNow that a few thousand beta testers have got their grubby paws on Window Vista SP1, a few more details are leaking out. One feature we hadn't heard about until now is a new utility for creating a Windows recovery disc. This isn't the same as a system restore disc you get from your computer manufacturer that will restore your system to its factory default settings. Instead, it's a disc that helps you boot into a basic version of Windows to repair problems with the operating system.

Vista SP1 makes the process about as simple as possible. Select "All Programs," from the Start Menu, then select "Maintenance," and then "Create a Recovery Disc." That's pretty much it. And since the whole thing only takes a few hundred MB, you can easily burn a CD in just a few minutes.

Read More...

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 05:23 PM

have you tried this? sounds like a great addition that would really come in handy if you goof up a multi boot with 'nix :rofl_mini:

#3 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:56 PM

That will be nice. You can install all the stuff you like then and get it perfect and then make a recovery disc to get back to original install faster. Should be a good time saver!!

#4 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:13 AM

I think this is only a way to get into the OS, kinda like Safe Mode and using a BartPE type cd/dvd software like UBCD4Win, still cool but most likely it won't offer much more than Safe Mode and almost certainly less than one of the boot cd/dvds freely available. Chris your description sounds like an Acronis Image but above it is stated that isn't the case "it's a disc that helps you boot into a basic version of Windows to repair problems with the operating system." Cool they added this nonetheless.

#5 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:00 AM

Oh, :rofl_mini:. rats

#6 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:02 AM

View PostTweak, on Sep 30 2007, 10:13 PM, said:

I think this is only a way to get into the OS, kinda like Safe Mode and using a BartPE type cd/dvd software like UBCD4Win, still cool but most likely it won't offer much more than Safe Mode and almost certainly less than one of the boot cd/dvds freely available. Chris your description sounds like an Acronis Image but above it is stated that isn't the case "it's a disc that helps you boot into a basic version of Windows to repair problems with the operating system." Cool they added this nonetheless.
Yup this SP1 is starting to have some substance. Especially useful for the fools like me who have the habit of screwing everything up every once in a while and who don't understand that UBCD4Win thing you're talking about... :rofl_mini:

#7 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 01:57 AM

View Postchriso_86, on Sep 30 2007, 11:00 PM, said:

Sorry to burst your bubble Chris, and hog that UBCD4Win is Ultimate Boot Compact Disc 4 (for) Windows, loaded with applications and repair tools, wonderful thing to have with good documentationif you ever want to give it a shot, take note that it is also capable of being put on DVD and you can personalize it to a degree if so desired.

#8 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Sorry to burst your bubble Chris, and hog that UBCD4Win is Ultimate Boot Compact Disc 4 (for) Windows, loaded with applications and repair tools, wonderful thing to have with good documentationif you ever want to give it a shot, take note that it is also capable of being put on DVD and you can personalize it to a degree if so desired.

#9 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

#10 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:23 AM

hehe, deja vu...

#11 othman11

othman11

head redneck

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 06:08 AM

Man!!!! I gotta quit drinking brake fluid! I keep seeing in threes........ :) :rofl_mini: :mail1:

#12 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 06:53 AM

View Postothman11, on Oct 1 2007, 11:08 PM, said:

Man!!!! I gotta quit drinking brake fluid! I keep seeing in threes........ :yay2: :mail1: :yay2:

Man!!!! I gotta quit drinking brake fluid! I keep seeing in threes........ :yay2: :) :yay2:

Man!!!! I gotta quit drinking brake fluid! I keep seeing in threes........ :yay2: :yay2: :yay2:

:rofl_mini:

#13 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:58 AM

I had some issues surfing last night, was terrible slow then normal then back to slow, the last was the cause of results you see here, sorry all.

I had some issues surfing last night, was terrible slow then normal then back to slow, the last was the cause of results you see here, sorry all.

:rofl_mini: :mail1: :)

#14 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:57 AM

ok

ok

ok

#15 Guest_scaramonga_*