6 replies to this topic

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:20 PM

Ubuntu’s Gutsy Gibbon (7.10) slated for an October 18th release, has released their alpha “Tribe 5″ version - which includes a Feature Freeze for the Gutsy development cycle. What that means in layman’s term is that while the software is still in heavy development there won’t be any new features added to Gutsy Gibbon. As for the new features added in Gutsy Gibbon there are plenty, most of which are particularly well suited for new users to Linux. Some of the more notable new features are a Graphical Configuration tool for X, improvements in plug-in handling for Mozilla Firefox, revamped printing system with PDF printing by default, fast user switching, new desktop search (Tracker) application and the new AppArmor security framework.

Read more on the new features found within Gutsy Gibbon and hopefully give you a better idea of what to expect when the final version of Gutsy Gibbons is released in October.

http://lunapark6.com/ubuntu-gutsy-gibbon-7...w-features.html

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:33 PM

cool. i wonder if it will use the "wubi" style boot loader...that would be really cool :cheers:

#3 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:00 PM

so far it still uses the same text boot loader, It is pretty cool, but I used automatix2 to install the nvidia drivers with the previous versions an I really liked the slick graphics to configure the dual monitors, with this I dont get that sophisticated GUI an it could not figure out the brand or model of my monitors nor could it get the res correct. I have a 22" 1680x1050 monitor, I chose a generic 1680x1050 monitor an it only gives me 1400x1050 res, or jump to 1600x1200 neither of which works. also because im running a dual monitor set up I can not seem to set which position either of them are in, nor am I sure which screen is which, so im trying to apply too high or to little res to the wrong monitor, took lots of trial an error to get straightened out. However on the good side it has all the full featured add and remove menu as you could ever want, an it runs very stable.

#4 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:44 PM

I couldn't get the new printer setup tool to find my HP printer over a Windows network. Also, the Firefox plug-in finder doesn't seem to work in 64-bit.

View Postm.oreilly, on Aug 27 2007, 03:33 PM, said:

cool. i wonder if it will use the "wubi" style boot loader...that would be really cool :mellow:
Not in 7.10. Maybe in 8.04, but probably not.

#5 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:56 AM

I just did some research by googling wubi...what a cool concept. Will it work using it through Vista 64? 7.10 I will have to check it out when it is released.

#6 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:14 PM

View PostChristopholofigus, on Aug 27 2007, 10:56 PM, said:

I just did some research by googling wubi...what a cool concept. Will it work using it through Vista 64? 7.10 I will have to check it out when it is released.

We're been having some fun with Wubi, read more HERE

#7 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:05 PM

Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Beta has been released:
http://www.ubuntu.co...sting/gutsybeta

Also Kubuntu: