18 replies to this topic

#1 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:03 AM

I bought a used Samsung 42" DLP today from a guy I found on Craig's List. The TV looks great and the price was pretty good considering I saved at least a few hundred when compared to a plasma or LCD in the same size. I've never had one before but I did a bit of research on the technology (Texas Instruments). Everything I read said that the color wheel will eventually die but you should get about 4-5 years first. The TV I bought was manufactured in October '06 and the guy I bought it from said he bought it new last July and that it's worked flawlessly.

But then, after getting it home, I found some reviews on CNET saying that people were having to pay upwards of $1000 in repairs after only a year or so on some of these DLP's. Some posts by supposed "TV gurus" said that DLP is always doomed to fail after 1000 hours. Should I be worried?

#2 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:10 AM

:likewinmandr2: not for 999 hours :roadrunner:

#3 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:46 AM

:likewinmandr2: :roadrunner:

#4 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:52 AM

DLP bulb will fail after a while. It is user replaceable and will run about 159 - 175 dollars

Expect about a year + out of a bulb if you're an average TV watcher

to extend the life of the bulb,

Do well ventilate the TV (keep it cool)

DO NOT Subject it to power spikes or watch it when you are likely to have power failures.

Let it cool 15-30 minutes after switching it off, to back on

DO NOT leave the TV on when you're not watching it

DO use a very good surge protector

Enjoy!

PS, DLP TVs are generally less expensive then LCD (being the highest price) and Plasma

#5 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:57 AM

PS, DLP TVs are generally less expensive then LCD (being the highest price) and Plasma

One of the perks, imho. :likewinmandr2: I've been shopping around for a long while though and, to my eyes anyway, the DLP looks better than comparable LCD's and Plasmas. This is the one I got for 6 bills. So far so good but I'm not too happy about the bulbs having to replaced once a year.

#6 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:00 AM

looks sweet banj :likewinmandr2:

#7 TheBearLT

TheBearLT

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:13 AM

Wikipedia says that there is some problems with those DLPs

rainbow effect
This visual artifact is best described as brief flashes of perceived red, blue, and green "shadows" observed most often when the projected content features bright/white objects on a mostly dark/black background (the scrolling end credits of many movies are a common example). Some people perceive these rainbow artifacts all of the time, while others say they only see them when they let their eyes pan across the image. The effect is likely rooted in the concept of the flicker fusion threshold. In some viewers the effect can lead to eye strain, headaches, or migraines after as little as a few minutes of viewing. New LED based DLPs can produce the alternating images fast enough so that most people will not be affected by the rainbow effect.

Edited by TheBearLT, 10 February 2008 - 08:14 AM.

#8 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:11 AM

Yep, I read that stuff too Bear. For better or worse, I don't see any Rainbow effect at all. I'm now, at last, thankful for years and years of doing copious amounts of LSD and Shrooms.

Those Phish shows were beneficial after all.

#9 TheBearLT

TheBearLT

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:22 AM

Hey Banj, can you make some Photos in hi-res and post em ? (i recommend Tinypic.com, because imageshack.com usually quickly getting out of bandwidth)

#10 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:39 PM

A friend of mine has a DLP though I can't remember the brand. He must have had it for at least 2 years and to my knowledge he never had to replace the bulb. And they use it a lot: almost everynight for several hours long. It's working great, the only thing I don't like is the viewing angle is a lot worse then on my LCD. But that may be only because I compare an old DLP technology to a brand new LCD. Anyhow, enjoy your new toy!

#11 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:41 AM

View PostTheBearLT, on Feb 10 2008, 05:22 AM, said:

Hey Banj, can you make some Photos in hi-res and post em ? (i recommend Tinypic.com, because imageshack.com usually quickly getting out of bandwidth)

Sure. But attaching them here works too. Excuse the wires please. Haven't gotten around to taming them yet.

Attached File  100_0870.JPG   664.99K   21 downloads

Attached File  100_0872.JPG   638.56K   21 downloads

OT, but there is a Lightbox mod for IPB. Any chance we could get that Admins? It puts the rock in the roll imho.

#12 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:00 AM

View Posthog, on Feb 10 2008, 02:39 PM, said:

A friend of mine has a DLP though I can't remember the brand. He must have had it for at least 2 years and to my knowledge he never had to replace the bulb. And they use it a lot: almost everynight for several hours long.

Thanks Hog, that's the kind of thing I need to hear. I just get so damned neurotic with stuff like this.

#13 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:06 AM

View Postbanj0, on Feb 11 2008, 02:00 AM, said:

Thanks Hog, that's the kind of thing I need to hear. I just get so damned neurotic with stuff like this.
I talked to the guy in question tonight (we watched the movie Superbad lol) and he confirmed he has never had to change the bulb. :roadrunner:

Oh, and before the movie we played Rock Band and I broke his drum pedal :likewinmandr2: It's a known problem so they replace it for free so it's not too bad, but it still sucks... :scara:

Edited by hog, 11 February 2008 - 07:13 AM.

#14 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 04:32 PM

heck banj, nice git boxes there :likewinmandr2:

#15 TheBearLT

TheBearLT

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:15 PM

Banj, you inspired me to persuade my old dream of buying a guitar.. :likewinmandr2:

Have some advices on Brand ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users