21 replies to this topic

#1 mysticalmoose

mysticalmoose

CHARGE!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:50 PM

my old 3500+ venice is getting a bit slow (possibly), and i'm thinking about a possible upgrade soonish. now my question is, if i just take out the old proc, and pop in a new one, will that be it? or do i need to do anything else. :bluerip:

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:55 PM

View Postmysticalmoose, on Apr 21 2007, 11:50 AM, said:

my old 3500+ venice is getting a bit slow (possibly), and i'm thinking about a possible upgrade soonish. now my question is, if i just take out the old proc, and pop in a new one, will that be it? or do i need to do anything else. :bluerip:
well, if you have a bios that has no issues with a different core, it should be just as simple as that :boom:

#3 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:17 PM

unless you go with a new dual core, then windows will need to rebuild the HAL, I dont know about linux though.

#4 mysticalmoose

mysticalmoose

CHARGE!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:02 PM

yea i'm not going to dual core. is there a way of telling if my bios will be OK with a different core?

#5 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:15 PM

I'm sure what you have will be just fine. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as it is a 939 socket and not a dual core it shouldn't have a problem.

#6 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:38 PM

if I were you I would get a cheap dual core for the simple fact they are phasing them out an unless you want to upgrade everything, cpu, mobo, and ram, the difference in that dual core should allow you to run for awhile more.

#7 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:10 PM

View PostCamaro, on Apr 21 2007, 12:17 PM, said:

unless you go with a new dual core, then windows will need to rebuild the HAL, I dont know about linux though.
i didn't think you would have an issue if you were using xp pro. i switched back and forth with the opterons without issues... :bluerip:

#8 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:19 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Apr 21 2007, 04:10 PM, said:

i didn't think you would have an issue if you were using xp pro. i switched back and forth with the opterons without issues... :bluerip:
You already had the dual cpu setup though. so switching to 2 single cores was not a problem.

#9 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:14 PM

have you tried w/o a reinstall/repair... :bluerip: if that was the case, wouldn't going to a single from a dual muck something up? it might be different when using an smp mobo though...

I upgraded the BIOS from F3 to F8 which says it supports my [envy]nice, new, shiny, lightning-fast AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ dual core processor[/envy]. The BIOS update loaded some "optimized defaults" which broke my RAID. Thankfully, all I had to do was redo the BIOS settings, and the box booted right up. So that answers the Winduhs question. Windows immediately, correctly recognized both processors and churned a little. I'm not sure what Windows was downloading or configuring, but after a few seconds, it asked to reboot (typical). I'm actually using it now with Opera to post this.

#10 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:41 AM

Cool, thats nice news
I might have been thinking of home.

#11 mysticalmoose

mysticalmoose

CHARGE!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:48 PM

do you really think i will benefit that much from dual core? i do like to do lots of stuff at once, but does it really help with say, AIM, Itunes, mozilla, vid editing, and all that? and, would it be possible to fold on one core, and just let the other one.... do stuff?

also are there good 939 dual core cheap procs?

scratch that, i'm possibly looking at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103053

what do you think?

i use my rig mostly for hw, browsing, music, doing a bit of video work, gimp, watching movies, playing halo, aoe3, and spore when it comes out :bluerip:

right now it does all this, but it gets a wee bit slow when it's doing video work and other stuff. hopefully this proc will help?

Edited by mysticalmoose, 22 April 2007 - 05:20 PM.

#12 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:23 PM

yeah, you will benefit from the use of 2 cores. even if you don't use many thread aware apps, you can still "assign" which apps run on which core to free up some cycles. if however the dual core's cores are of a slower speed than what you have now, and you are running single threaded apps, you will take a hit in performance...

#13 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:33 PM

It is totally worth it!! I would go for it!!

#14 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:51 PM

View Postmysticalmoose, on Apr 22 2007, 11:48 AM, said:

do you really think i will benefit that much from dual core? i do like to do lots of stuff at once, but does it really help with say, AIM, Itunes, mozilla, vid editing, and all that? and, would it be possible to fold on one core, and just let the other one.... do stuff?

also are there good 939 dual core cheap procs?

scratch that, i'm possibly looking at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103053

what do you think?

i use my rig mostly for hw, browsing, music, doing a bit of video work, gimp, watching movies, playing halo, aoe3, and spore when it comes out :bluerip:

right now it does all this, but it gets a wee bit slow when it's doing video work and other stuff. hopefully this proc will help?
yup thats a nice cpu at a good price, however if you had just a bit more money they have the 175 opteron, which runs at the same speed but has higher L2 cache, an its an opteron, for $225, or if that is just more then you can afford the 170 opty is $188. There is also the 165 0pty, which is good but only a 1.8ghz cpu, but it overclocks very well if you want to give it a try. that one is $149.

#15 mysticalmoose

mysticalmoose

CHARGE!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:41 PM

i don't get the deal with optys. why are they so overclockable and nice?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users