128 replies to this topic

#31 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:42 PM

yeah, the touchscreen thing will be neat. wonder how much they will want for one of those? i have often thought of purchasing an oem part and "converting" the old dell into one...

#32 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:53 PM

Thats what I am going to do.

#33 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:51 PM

View PostLinoman, on Nov 1 2008, 10:53 AM, said:

Thats what I am going to do.

let me know what you find.

#34 yorkev

yorkev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:17 AM

Hi guys' I've installed win7 version 6801, quite surprised at the quick install really. Not all drivers were installed so I went to my motherboard disc to the vista drivers which surprisingly enough wouldn't install, but even more surprising the XP 64bit one's did! My lan, SM bus and one other which I can't remember all installed perfectly. I went to windows updates and found a Nvidia updated driver waiting for me as well as a couple of others which up to now has had no problems and has given me a 5.6 score on the windows experience index. I thought I'd try and activate the copy using the 64bit version of antiwpa version 3.1, it said the patching was successful but I'll see what happens after 30 days. I've had a quick browse through it, looks like the classic start menu has been laid to rest unless I've missed it. A couple of hi-res pics for the desktop look nice but thats as far as I have got. Oh and the user account control can be switched off (now a slider switch) and also the reminder that tells you it's switched off can be switched off.... if you get my drift. I will delve further tomorrow. cheers Kevin

#35 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 02:43 PM

Sounds excellent, can't wait to get things rolling.

#36 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 03:40 PM

View Postyorkev, on Nov 2 2008, 03:17 AM, said:

Hi guys' I've installed win7 version 6801, quite surprised at the quick install really. Not all drivers were installed so I went to my motherboard disc to the vista drivers which surprisingly enough wouldn't install, but even more surprising the XP 64bit one's did! My lan, SM bus and one other which I can't remember all installed perfectly. I went to windows updates and found a Nvidia updated driver waiting for me as well as a couple of others which up to now has had no problems and has given me a 5.6 score on the windows experience index. I thought I'd try and activate the copy using the 64bit version of antiwpa version 3.1, it said the patching was successful but I'll see what happens after 30 days. I've had a quick browse through it, looks like the classic start menu has been laid to rest unless I've missed it. A couple of hi-res pics for the desktop look nice but thats as far as I have got. Oh and the user account control can be switched off (now a slider switch) and also the reminder that tells you it's switched off can be switched off.... if you get my drift. I will delve further tomorrow. cheers Kevin

Yeh, I'm on it right now. It installed flawlessly- all drivers at first bootup. It kinda surprised me when the speakers clicked on.
It is fast, amazing how smooth it works without all the garbage. IE8 is also very fast, I love my Firefox but this thing screams.
A few other differences so far but it acts and looks pretty much the same as Vista. I hope they do some major cosmetic changes to show that it is a different OS.

OK- you can start the debate now on whether or not it is just a Vista fix or not-
(cue the MAC commercial)
<_<

#37 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:06 PM

View PostRoadrunner, on Nov 2 2008, 08:40 AM, said:

Yeh, I'm on it right now. It installed flawlessly- all drivers at first bootup. It kinda surprised me when the speakers clicked on.
It is fast, amazing how smooth it works without all the garbage. IE8 is also very fast, I love my Firefox but this thing screams.
A few other differences so far but it acts and looks pretty much the same as Vista. I hope they do some major cosmetic changes to show that it is a different OS.

OK- you can start the debate now on whether or not it is just a Vista fix or not-
(cue the MAC commercial)
<_<

Pics or it didnt happen :friends:

#38 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:34 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#39 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:36 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Did I pass? <_<

#40 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:45 PM

View PostRoadrunner, on Nov 2 2008, 09:36 AM, said:

Did I pass? <_<

great job Roadrunner! Passed with flying colors. Run into any bugs yet? Drivers all there? devices all working? What is your testbed?

#41 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:06 PM

are you able to save bookmarks in firefox, and if you change your desktop (larger taskbar, etc) does it revert on the next boot? do the "post' (when replying in threads on forums) windows/page formats get all jiggy (using IE) when you start a reply? can you go back a page when in firefox? <_<

#42 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:14 PM

View PostNvyseal, on Nov 2 2008, 09:45 AM, said:

great job Roadrunner! Passed with flying colors. Run into any bugs yet? Drivers all there? devices all working? What is your testbed?

I ran it for a little over an hour and found it very stable.
The only bug I guess was that the gadget clock suddenly was missing half its face after about a 1/2 hr.
All the drivers were loaded automatically, except for my webcam which I didn't even try to fix.

I used my E6600 with the ASUS P5N32E-Sli MB .
The drive I had extra is a PATA so no extra SATA or raid drivers were necessary.
It was probably the shortest install that I have ever done timewise.

It amazed me that on first boot I was able to click on IE and get instantly on the internet without ever setting up any type of network. It also saw my home network .

I'll go on it again tonight and let u know what else happens.

EDIT_
this was a 32bit version- the 64bit wasn't done downloading.

Fiefox was not installed- I will try it tonight.

Gotta go do some work- back tonight

Edited by Roadrunner, 02 November 2008 - 06:19 PM.

#43 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:23 PM

...can you use the built in burner app? all i got was coasters, and when trying to re burn, windows would try to burn the files it said it "successfully' burned...thank god for imgburn. i'm sure this release is just a taste of little things for the crowd to post images all over the net, though it does hold a big promise for ms. the "extra" things to be in the final, or rc releases will be a deal breaker if they don't deliver al la vista's promised "cool new stuff" that never made it...

#44 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:23 PM

Would anyone like to upload it to our server for all to try instead of have to go to those seedy torrents?

#45 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:00 PM

View PostNvyseal, on Nov 2 2008, 12:23 PM, said:

Would anyone like to upload it to our server for all to try instead of have to go to those seedy torrents?
<_<
lemmi see what i can do (x64 version). is it ok to transfer the whole iso, or do you need it to be rar'ed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users