Jump to content


Is it GPU time again?


  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

    Thomas S. Arashikage

  • Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • Country:USA

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

I've been running ATI almost exclusively for a looong time now and haven't had any problems with ATI drivers or software for many years. That said, I don't think the 7970 is worth the money compared to a 7950. From what I've seen you can easily OC a 7950 to 7970 specs with little effort and save yourself some cash.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to go from the Nvidia to the 7970?

#32 scaramonga

scaramonga

    CALLING ALL STATIONS

  • Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts
  • Location:Scotland
  • Country:Dunno? but it ain't nice.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

View Posteniparadoxgma, on 26 December 2012 - 11:25 PM, said:

From what I've seen you can easily OC a 7950 to 7970 specs with little effort and save yourself some cash.

Exactly, but our MO don't listen to advice ;) :)

View Posteniparadoxgma, on 26 December 2012 - 11:25 PM, said:

Out of curiosity, why do you want to go from the Nvidia to the 7970?

Probably needs a challenge? Things running too smoothly? :giggle:

#33 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

    rog'er wilco

  • Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,749 posts
  • Country:lower uncton

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:53 AM

i love the look of ati. desktop color and glass blur/AA are super, and lots of adjustments re video and the like. i don't game (yet), but like the architecture of ati stuff, so drivers really don't get to me unless i'm having issues with something like a server os. picked up a reference 7970 for $280, should be here monday. nvidia colors seem washed out, and anti clear type compared to ati, and ati have a bigger mem buss, so if i want to do 3 of the new korean crossover monitors (mine just got here today..holy awesome! a 2560x1440 apple glossy panel for $319!!!), i'll have rich colors, high mem bandwidth, a super gpgpu, and i can always flash an OC (ghz bios) to it if i feel my e-penis is drooping...
and yes, things are going heck of too smooth lol!
...except for my mobo bios update: had to go back to 4.6ghz. last time i update bios just because it's 'new'...

#34 scaramonga

scaramonga

    CALLING ALL STATIONS

  • Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts
  • Location:Scotland
  • Country:Dunno? but it ain't nice.

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

I'm spending all my money in the Steam, GMG, GG8 sales. £30 so far, and have 50+ games to show for that, a great saving of around £200 :D

Now I just need an extension on my life to be able to play them all :giggle:

#35 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

    Thomas S. Arashikage

  • Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • Country:USA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on 29 December 2012 - 02:53 AM, said:

i love the look of ati. desktop color and glass blur/AA are super, and lots of adjustments re video and the like. i don't game (yet), but like the architecture of ati stuff, so drivers really don't get to me unless i'm having issues with something like a server os. picked up a reference 7970 for $280, should be here monday. nvidia colors seem washed out, and anti clear type compared to ati, and ati have a bigger mem buss, so if i want to do 3 of the new korean crossover monitors (mine just got here today..holy awesome! a 2560x1440 apple glossy panel for $319!!!), i'll have rich colors, high mem bandwidth, a super gpgpu, and i can always flash an OC (ghz bios) to it if i feel my e-penis is drooping...
and yes, things are going heck of too smooth lol!
...except for my mobo bios update: had to go back to 4.6ghz. last time i update bios just because it's 'new'...

I feel the same way about Nvidia GPUs. The one time I switched everything just seemed grayer, duller, more monotone to me. Maybe it's just confirmation bias but when I went back to ATI there certainly seemed to be a change for the better.

Anyway, to the important point, where the hell did you find a 7970 for 280? Cheapest on the Egg is 380. What price can you find for a 7950?

#36 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

    Thomas S. Arashikage

  • Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • Country:USA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

View Postscaramonga, on 27 December 2012 - 06:23 PM, said:

Exactly, but our MO don't listen to advice ;) :)

Apparently. :doh:


Quote

Probably needs a challenge? Things running too smoothly? :giggle:

:giggle:

#37 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

    rog'er wilco

  • Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,749 posts
  • Country:lower uncton

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:37 AM

ebay. reference design HIS 7970, and it is sweet (arrived this morning)! oh man, i've been wanting this for awhile...you are correct re nvidia being 'dull' re colors and all, especially with an ips glossy monitor at 2560x1440...my ati powered desktop is awesome. did some streaming vid (directv2pc 1080i content)...smooth as silk. colors 'pop'. very pleased! time for some b rays...

#38 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

    rog'er wilco

  • Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,749 posts
  • Country:lower uncton

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:26 AM

lookie, my 7970 is now teh GHZ model:

Posted Image

#39 stormrosson

stormrosson

    Established Member

  • Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Location:Silver City ,New Mexico
  • Interests:stuff
  • Country:yes

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

I concur on the look of ati vs nvidia, more vibrant colors, excellent streaming , and I haven't had driver issues for years. I can't see payin 300$ for a vid card that is better than my one eyeball works hehe so I got a 7770 2GB card for a hair over 100$ at the egg and it does marvelous with low power use also a +, OC's pretty good, works great with solid works and autodesk/cad I would compare it to a Fire Pro V4900 (200$+ although MO would prolly like Fire Pro V9900 only bout 3100$ w/4 GB DDR5 duh) works well my 8 core vishera FX. Now I gotta get one o them monitors MO, I'll wait a month or 2 and see how long yours holds up lol :giggle:

#40 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

    rog'er wilco

  • Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,749 posts
  • Country:lower uncton

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:08 AM

it works awesome, i had an issue (image would fade to black), and thought it was the end of it, but they said to open it up (!) and push on the panel connection. worked a charm (from bouncing around the world to get here. from my night time order to arrival, got it in less 36 hours from south korea!). it's an apple panel for a third of the price, an "A" panel (from the seller 'accessorieswhole') at that, as no dead/stuck pixels. they will be going up in price soon though, so don't wait too long. the crossover have what appear to be better electronics. the thing has a metal case, front and back. here is a link to the crossover thread over at oc.net:
http://www.overclock...ed-monitor-club

mine looks like this:

http://www.accessori...%28ENG%29_1.jpg

#41 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

    rog'er wilco

  • Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,749 posts
  • Country:lower uncton

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:10 AM

sorry for off topic... :emo:

#42 scaramonga

scaramonga

    CALLING ALL STATIONS

  • Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts
  • Location:Scotland
  • Country:Dunno? but it ain't nice.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:48 AM

Adjusts the Nvidia Vibrance level in control panel, yeah, that's a bit better lol :)

#43 stormrosson

stormrosson

    Established Member

  • Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Location:Silver City ,New Mexico
  • Interests:stuff
  • Country:yes

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

Hey MO can u post me a linky to the place where u ordered your monitor from? Thx homey... :kiss:.........update--- never mind the link MO I just ordered one at ebay @360$ free s/h ....can't hardly wait to see it :moreilly:

#44 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

    rog'er wilco

  • Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,749 posts
  • Country:lower uncton

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:09 AM

View Postscaramonga, on 09 January 2013 - 03:48 AM, said:

Adjusts the Nvidia Vibrance level in control panel, yeah, that's a bit better lol :)
that doesn't do it, as the colors become super unnatural, no real vibrancy. tried that when using a tn panel to see how it would do against an ips. teh 'natural' ips colors smoked digital vibrance, so i never touch it.

View Poststormrosson, on 09 January 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

Hey MO can u post me a linky to the place where u ordered your monitor from? Thx homey... :kiss:.........update--- never mind the link MO I just ordered one at ebay @360$ free s/h ....can't hardly wait to see it :moreilly:
link? BTW where is the donate button now? I wanted to throw some $ @ Davex for keepin us alive here..........Stormy

#45 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

    rog'er wilco

  • Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,749 posts
  • Country:lower uncton

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:24 AM

no full screen content(save for web stuff) besides games, but PC game look totally awesome. your really can see what your system/gpu are capable of.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users