• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Beta-guy

Beta-guy

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:28 PM

I was happy to live with autmatic updates I'd update when I was planning to reboot, but I thought I'd wait a bit longer. This morning I woke up to find my computer had been rebooted, I thought that was wierd but may be have been the power gone out or something so I didn't think too much of it, I login on and then when I found out Automatic updates and voluntarily updated my computer and ruined my uptime.

I've disabled automatic updates and will update the computer whenever I'm going to reboot from now on...

Edited by Beta-guy, 15 February 2006 - 05:29 PM.

#2 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:55 PM

i never knew it would do that, i thought we got to tell it when :)

#3 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 06:46 PM

i think it gives you a timeframe in which you can stop a reboot. I personally dont like updating unless i know what is being installed on the system. I had a video driver issue that happened a while ago with auto update. It updated the driver and i didnt know, the next reboot i had no display. i did some safemode searching and uninstalled the driver and everything was back to normal

#4 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts
  • Interests:An abundance :P

Posted 15 February 2006 - 08:17 PM

Lots of problems arise frome the dumb auto update. Sure it's nice but I too have been a vicitimm of bad Video drivers, and the auto reboot. It's a pain when you go to bed thinking "I'll finish that project tomorrow morning" and wake up to find you have to do the ENTIRE project that morning. It was a nice idea at first MS but PLEASE make it so you don't HAVE to reboot -.-

#5 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 12:34 PM

To be fair i just disable it and disable it in Services.msc just so i get hassle free fun.

#6 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:14 AM

Dave's right it does give one a timeframe to stop it from rebooting but if that time frame is lets say (like me) at 3am in the morning. How are we supposed to stop it, stupid time WU

#7 Beta-guy

Beta-guy

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 05:48 PM

View PostLinoman, on Feb 18 2006, 12:14 AM, said:

Dave's right it does give one a timeframe to stop it from rebooting but if that time frame is lets say (like me) at 3am in the morning. How are we supposed to stop it, stupid time WU

I think it's based on an assumption that all users are idiots so they set it up for 3 AM so that updating the computer won't scare us :)

#8 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:48 PM

Of cause they don't realise that some users might almost have a heart attack if they hear their pc rebooting at 3am

#9 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 12:50 AM

If i am on a deadline with something, an upload say i have to combat with people turning off my pc anyway...when i am doing something it becomes a people magnet...NOW if i had Autoupdate on it'd be worse :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users