Desktop icon: Don't want!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Desktop icons

Hate them or love them?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:59 PM

I know, some people actually enjoy desktop icons, but I'm one of those people who don't like them.

Now, what I'm wondering is, why can't the installation-program-writers add the option "Desktop icon" to the installation? Some programs already have this, but other are just doing what they like, installing their icons in every possible way almost as an 'in-your-face' way.

Is anybody else upset with this?
I am at least, always deleting icons from places I didn't even know existed in the system...

Note:
This is not ranting, I just want your opinion on this

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:31 AM

in windows, i use "rocketdock" if i am in a non icon mood. i transfer the paths to dock icons, and stick the dock somewhere out of my field of work, or autohide it...with win7, you can drag them to the taskbar, and have basically the same thing...

#3 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:34 AM

It's not about solutions, I'm about 'not wanting to have them anyway', meaning, I personally don't like installers to create desktop icons in any way...

I got to this point, since I just installed 7, and I had to install a lot of software, half of which didn't let me choose if I wanted a desktop icon or not.

It's not about the icons, it's about your opinion about icons, and how different installers go with them

#4 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:18 AM

Don't like or have any desktop icons so I am against them myself as well.

#5 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:21 AM

i like them. they serve a purpose. you can always delete them?

#6 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 05:40 AM

I move them from desktop to a custom setup quicklaunch I have used for years, even before I learned of RocketDock or YzDock or whatever the other was that preceded RD. I have access to desktop via the taskbar and have no icons but Docs, Comp, Network and Recycle, only when clicked of course. Easier when seen.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users