21 replies to this topic

#1 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 03:29 PM

Well at the moment I am going through something that I think is terrifing. Damn I am scared. Anyway yesterday morning I was priding myself with my XP install on my Celeron. (No problems and been installed for a few months and its been modded nicely) (btw its the one with the pimped xp theme Karl :P )

So anyway this morning I wake and my PC seems slowly that usuall but I don't worry (guess its just needs a defrag) but to my horror I see the little message below

Attached File  pain.JPG   131.34K   111 downloads

So anyway I think ok I'll run Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE but it can't update its self so I manully update it and it says theres nothing to remove. WTF? Same story with Spybot Search and Destroy. Windows Defender won't install because it can't verifire its self.

As a result MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, U-Torrent, Outlook12, Firefox, IE 6 or Flock will not go online. The programs keep on crashing only Firefox 1.6 beta (Deer Park Alpha 2 will go online) at the moment I might have to reformat but it must be a last resort.

Will see what else I can do, hopefully a new update for spybot will help :(

#2 DJD

DJD

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 03:32 PM

That's bad, real bad.

#3 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 03:41 PM

Latest Lino update, it seems a format and reinstall is the only thing I can do. My machine is seriously messed up. Gonna go back up files now sniff sniff. Anyidea what apps I can use in the future to prevent this from happerning again

#4 DJD

DJD

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 03:48 PM

I use onecare and windows defender. But NOD32 & sygate firewall is also real good.

Edited by DJD, 05 March 2006 - 03:49 PM.

#5 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 05 March 2006 - 04:29 PM

As a spyware solution, try this:
Hitman Pro

Their website is only in Dutch, but the software should install in English too.

It's an all in one anti-spyware solution, downloading and updating all available anti-spyware software and updates it. It also downloads (If you want) anti-virus software for free or for 30 day trials.

The anti-spyware is all that's possible, though it won't register trial software illegally!

Bad side of this software is that it installs all the stuff on your C drive by default and you can't really edit that (yet)

If you look at their site, at the bottom you can see which software is supported (that you must be able to read I think...) Hitman Pro website

#6 patman174

patman174

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:40 PM

If I were you, Id go in and find the programs running that arent normally running, the spywares. Id try and kill them and delete them. I have ran into a couple myself that you can not destroy, a reformat is about the only way. I have had a Router/Firewall setup for a couple years now, and I never get anything like that on any of my machines, and half of them do not have antispyware or antivirus installed. Other than that, you are doing everything possible. Im sorry to hear that about your machine. Best of luck.

#7 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:27 PM

Hello there everyone, I had no choice, I reformatted my machine. Reinstalled XP Pro and reinstalled most of the software. (btw pimped it so it looks exactly the same)

Really scary when spyware or what ever doesn't even let one connect to the net. Although now I am going to install $$$ protection software.

*Off topic a bit*
@Sphere

Thanks for the link to Hitman Pro downloading it now. Btw it might surprise you to know that since I live in South Africa and can speak Afrikaans. I can understand parts of Dutch language.

#8 Sphere

Sphere

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:41 PM

Kewl! you like pindanootjesboter? :P (sorry offtopic *gives himself warning +1*)

#9 clarky3429

clarky3429

No I will not fix your computer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:22 AM

if had that same thing come up on a friends computer X 3, i used spysweeper and it got rid of it fine!!

#10 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:04 AM

AVG (which Microsoft support in XP SP2) and Mcfee stinger which can be ran from a USB Flash device :P

Then for a sound its gotta be my Router and Sygate's Firewall.

#11 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts
  • Interests:An abundance :P

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:10 AM

I simply log onto a different OS that I have installed as a Back up with my virus scan software and tell it to attack the drive, the virus can't do to well if it's getting mutilated while it's dormant :P works well on spy/adware too!

#12 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:18 AM

I know you all have heard this before, but the best defense against all these spywares/adwares is not to get them on your system in the first place.

Firefox blocks these.

Firefox will not block applications you have downloaded from torrents or warez sites.

#13 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts
  • Interests:An abundance :P

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:29 PM

Yes that is true Dave I was saying IF they get to your machine. But Viruses are so hard to block so , get FireFox :P

(I am actually a Maxthon fan)

#14 DJD

DJD

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:29 PM

View PostSphere, on Mar 5 2006, 05:29 PM, said:

As a spyware solution, try this:
Hitman Pro

Their website is only in Dutch, but the software should install in English too.

It's an all in one anti-spyware solution, downloading and updating all available anti-spyware software and updates it. It also downloads (If you want) anti-virus software for free or for 30 day trials.

The anti-spyware is all that's possible, though it won't register trial software illegally!

Bad side of this software is that it installs all the stuff on your C drive by default and you can't really edit that (yet)

If you look at their site, at the bottom you can see which software is supported (that you must be able to read I think...) Hitman Pro website

I would not use hitman pro. i have seen this programm causing alot of trouble.
Tip: look a the list of software this program uses, and download them separately.

#15 Sphere

Sphere

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:51 PM

I never had problems with hitman.... I don't know about them, could you tell me a few?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users