Sony Root kit

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: The Sony Root kit

Would you be willing to take legal action over the Root kit?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 08:23 PM

The Sony rootkit has caused an uproar, people are already taking legal action because basically the methods they use are like that of Virus writers, there are hidden drivers, directory's and Registry entry's.

Not only this, attempts to remove the kit can ruin a Windows install....LET ME REPHRASE...it does ruin an install!

Google Search - Take a look at how much interest has already sparked!

Deeper story in a Blog

#2 patman174

patman174

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 08:57 PM

Yeah, i dont think thats right. They shouldnt be putting crap like that on music cds that ruin peoples windows installation. It cost people money to get that fixed if they dont know how to do it themselves. They should be held accountable for that.

#3 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts
  • Interests:An abundance :P

Posted 21 November 2005 - 04:27 AM

Well Lets see... considering the last two CDS I BOUGHT haven't even been opened yet... nor will they ever (I'm collecting them) and I hadn't bought a CD for almost 2 years before... I don't think I have a right, but I do know it was wrong of them to do this and if I were a vicitm... yes, I would take legal action.

#4 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:51 PM

While Sony was incredibly slow to react to the whole rootkit fiasco when it first broke, the company is now rapidly trying to clean up the mess it caused. The latest is that the company has agreed to settle a class action suit filed over the matter. Beyond the basic recall they had already announced, consumers who return an XCP-infected CD will get to download either three free albums from a list of 200 albums, or a cash payout of $7.50 for their troubles. While Sony still refuses to recall CDs that include the SunnComm MediaMax copy protection (which installs without permission), they will let people download the MP3s of the albums they purchased with that software on it. Sony BMG also says it will no longer use either of the two copy protection systems (though, you wonder if they'll move on to something else). Alex Eckelberry has more details at the Sunbelt Blog. It's not clear how this settlement (if approved) will impact some of the other lawsuits against the company. The fear, though, is that once everyone calms down about this, they (and the other labels) will simply go back to their old tricks. Still, it is fairly ironic that this program whose main purpose was to avoid Sony BMG music being ripped into MP3 form (a goal that was pointless from the beginning) has now been turned around to the point of Sony BMG handing out free, unencumbered MP3s.

Source: Techdirt

I dont think this pays for all the computers it has messed up

#5 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:57 PM

ok so what if you already had £200 of music, documents from work/school or wherever that equalled two years of work and/or you are doing a thesis on something and you need your notes...sony comes along and gives you 7.50?

this is STUPID, i would sue them for not giving me enough, pathetic.

#6 utra

utra

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 02:31 PM

if your paying for a cd you should be able to use the MP3's on it without worring about any "glitches" if i were to have a damaged pc thanks to sony i would demand compensation

#7 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 05:33 PM

It happened to a lot of people, i accept but thats not everyones fault.

Sony SHOULD and MUST pay more to cover real legit damage that they and their illegal technics caused.

#8 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts
  • Interests:An abundance :P

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:23 PM

Agreed, Sony must pay for their anti-piracy sin!!! ATTACK MY MINIONS sue... yes, take them to court, they must burn for their insabordination!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users