48 replies to this topic

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:18 PM

images/news/vista.jpgWindows Vista SP1, which began rolling out via Automatic Update, has left some users' machines unbootable. The update loops forever on "Configuring updates: Stage 3 of 3 — 0% complete. Do not turn off your computer." "Shutting down"... restart and loop. Echostorm notes having found traces of what sounds like the same bug in early beta releases of SP1. It's unclear how many users are affected. So far there is no word on a fix from Microsoft.

Read More about those poor soles

#2 TheBearLT

TheBearLT

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:24 PM

Poor Users.. Booo MS :christo:

#3 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:39 PM

nobody mentioned wheather they had a previous sp1 beta installed before trying the latest...could be an issue. the posters don't sound too capable, either. bummer

#4 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:17 PM

Lol.... :christo: it just keeps on getting better!

:)

#5 BlueScreenOfDeath

BlueScreenOfDeath

~* Hardware & Beta Guru *~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:29 PM

probably the idiots turning it off midway through Install

#6 TomHP

TomHP

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:21 PM

Howdy,I'm Tom and joined cuz of this topic which I found possible what is wrong with my HP Media Center m8200n. On Tuesday this week, I got regular monthly update from MS for my Vista Premium everything went fine. My friend used LogMeIn to my pc yesterday around four pm. I didn't notice if MS was updating vista sp1 that green light was for my frien to go in COMMAND and force shut down to finish installing bitzip program. My computer did shut down fine until it turn on, it freeze before going in bios. Like blue screen of death but not ms it HP Invent slash screen with three options: ESC, F10, and F11. I tried ESC no number lock light responding. F10 will work only if u turn on pc fast pressing it same time before keyboard light disappear second time. Doing this won't get me far until I called HP, they say what you mean it don't go in bios boy I feel awful talking to someone who read manual instead of understanding what I am saying. I did what he asked me to do step by step it failed didn't work when he ask me to press F8 couple tried then he said ok you did the step wrong. Finally, I managed to get F8 to start windows Error recovery. Remember my keyboard won't response there was option there I couldn't pick and ms tried to repair it but it stop near the end of white bar on bottom of screen. Freeze at start up and keyboard don't response he say it broken need to send it in. Now, reading what echostorm said can you see possible related to my problem? Here my theroy MS didn't do there homework and HP is no where of a help but he suggested me to back up my hard drive now. Hello hello can't do that now no access to bios. What is wrong folks? Please feel free to email me cuz I will be looking out for answer asap thanks Tom

#7 TheBearLT

TheBearLT

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:31 PM

View PostTomHP, on Feb 16 2008, 02:21 PM, said:

....t get me far until I called HP, they say what you mean it don't go in bios boy I feel awful talking to someone who read manual instead of understanding what I am saying. I did what he asked me to do step by step it failed didn't work when he ask me to pr...

Hmm.. I remember long time ago I had a Virus... Bios Bricker.
It had corrupted my bios, so I had to take my MoBo to the nearest tech center for the bios reflashing on a special programming device...
Maybe something similar happened to you ?!....

If your notebook is on a guarantee you better do not touch any seals on it.. Send it to repair center and ask, if possible, to back up some of your important data. (like C:\notes\, D:\Music etc.)

Regards,
tbear

Edited by TheBearLT, 16 February 2008 - 12:32 PM.

#8 TomHP

TomHP

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:19 PM

I have desktop pc and I could take it in to best buy but then it sad that I couldn't do it for free. My choice was to not get warranty from best buy. However, I might will end up taken it in and get it test out. Thanks for the advice.

#9 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:31 PM

bummer. yep, taking it in to have it looked over is the best idea, though i wonder why you let a "friend" remotely access your system. did you/your friend make any changes to the bios/hardware prior to the problem appearing? any external drives/extra usb powered devices attached? i know some systems made before xp sp2 would crash when attempting to install the pack (bios issues w/dep, and the like), but never heard of it affecting post and bios access...

#10 TomHP

TomHP

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 05:56 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Feb 16 2008, 11:31 AM, said:

bummer. yep, taking it in to have it looked over is the best idea, though i wonder why you let a "friend" remotely access your system. did you/your friend make any changes to the bios/hardware prior to the problem appearing? any external drives/extra usb powered devices attached? i know some systems made before xp sp2 would crash when attempting to install the pack (bios issues w/dep, and the like), but never heard of it affecting post and bios access...

Hi, thank for reply, my friend help me a lot with log me in he just showing me the software miro which is bitzip. Then he shut it down cuz it asked me to reboot after installing miro/bitzip. bios/hardware wasnt done all day it was left only materfact my bios was same since i bought it and it still disable usb at boot up. I had only webcam plugged in that was only usb along with hp remote IR reciever. I have Vista P. OS FYI.

#11 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:04 PM

I wonder if the F8 trick will work, it is a HP

#12 TomHP

TomHP

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:20 PM

View PostNvyseal, on Feb 16 2008, 01:04 PM, said:

I wonder if the F8 trick will work, it is a HP

I can explain once i turn the power on normally we will see the light on keyboard flashing all three 2 time before it turn the number lock light on and what that is normal boot up with working keyboard. With my HP, I did see my keyboard flashing twice then it stop wont turn the number lock light on so then we know something is wrong. I had to be really quick from time I power up the computer to time second flash appear I can try tapping on F8, F10, F11 or ESC but it still freeze on blue screen with logo of HP Invent. I did something to get F8 to work once but again I got to windows error recovery screen there was a no go mean keyboard connection is dead you basically can choose what one you want on that screen then MS choice default until white bar on bottom that progressing great until the very end it lock up freeze. I couldnt get back to that screen again after many attempt like unpluging and wait, plug back in still dont help. It intersting because I tried it with two different keyboard still no go. (I felt like I was going to break the F8 key but good thing I can control my anger hehe)

#13 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:32 PM

View PostTomHP, on Feb 16 2008, 09:56 AM, said:

Hi, thank for reply, my friend help me a lot with log me in he just showing me the software miro which is bitzip. Then he shut it down cuz it asked me to reboot after installing miro/bitzip. bios/hardware wasnt done all day it was left only materfact my bios was same since i bought it and it still disable usb at boot up. I had only webcam plugged in that was only usb along with hp remote IR reciever. I have Vista P. OS FYI.

yes, i am aware you are using vista. i was referring to some time ago when many xp users had issues with the then new xp sp2, and trying to draw a corollary. did you try a ps/2 keyboard? if you manage to get into your bios, disable the "quickboot" options, and get rid of the hp post screen, opting for the text screen, so you can see what, if any errors show up. did you always have the hp logo at post? my wife had a similar issue, and it turned out to be her psu, after adding an extra optical drive, and a new gpu. so you haven't installed any new hardware since you have had your system? are you the only owner of the system, or was it used when purchased?

#14 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:35 PM

oh, have you tried booting without the ethernet (assuming you are not on dialup) pluged in?

#15 Lyle

Lyle

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:03 PM

i was help TomHP which i'm tech person...
anyway i did find out that his PC have not able to access the BIOS but funny that when he did pull the Jumper which for clean CMOS.... seem not work at all... we did try F8, F11, F10 but won't work because of keyboard and not talk about keyboard PC must boot without keyboard anyway and still not work BIOS seem like FROZEN i think CPU may dead by overheat the case isn't room for cool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users