3 replies to this topic

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:27 PM

images/news/amd.jpgIstanbul can fetch, sit up, shake your hand, and apparently, play the piano. Quite a feat. The new 6-core version of the AMD Opteron™ processor is scheduled to be available in the second half of this year, and it is everything we had hoped for – and more.

As a city, Istanbul is the only city that sits on two continents, Asia and Europe. As a processor, Istanbul also bridges two worlds, the socket 1207 that has been such a strong platform in the past, and a 6-core Direct Connect architecture, with 12, 24 or 48 cores per server for the future.

Despite putting more cores in the processor, we managed to keep it in the same power and thermal ranges as our existing "Shanghai" processors. And since it fits into the same socket, our OEM customers should be able to bring products to the market quickly. End users will be able to quickly qualify and deploy these servers because the overall platform is the same as what they are using. In today's challenging economic times, that's music to the ears of IT departments both near, and as far away as Turkey.

Video

Via: AMD Blogs

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:53 PM

super duper :christo:
amd! amd! amd!

#3 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:02 AM

Wow, I really got to update my CPU knowledge... Socket 1207? Direct Connect architecture? Never heard of those lol...

#4 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:26 AM

View Posthog, on Feb 25 2009, 04:02 PM, said:

Wow, I really got to update my CPU knowledge... Socket 1207? Direct Connect architecture? Never heard of those lol...
:christo: You and me both hog.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users