points have dropped

http://forum.folding...topic18362.html

#2 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:44 PM

Well, that's stupid!!!!!!!! I guess there isn't has much of a point in bothering getting the smp client going then. I am disappointed in them for doing this!!

#3 necrocowboy

necrocowboy

I hate celery !!

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, cooking & flogging dead horses.

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:57 PM

Chriso if you read what is said, the SMP client was earning 'bonus' points during the trial period. It seems that the WU points values have been brought in line with other folding methods (i.e. no more bonus points).

You will still find that SMP brings higher PPD that 2xWindows clients, providing you run them 24x7.

Regards

NC

#4 viper666

viper666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:54 PM

View Postnecrocowboy, on Apr 19 2007, 09:57 AM, said:

Chriso if you read what is said, the SMP client was earning 'bonus' points during the trial period. It seems that the WU points values have been brought in line with other folding methods (i.e. no more bonus points).

You will still find that SMP brings higher PPD that 2xWindows clients, providing you run them 24x7.

Regards

NC
Actually Nec it didnt say anything like that. Did U read it?

It infact it stated exactly the opposite.

That this isnt or wasnt a point ajustment.

It said on the woodcrest U shouldnt see any point change.

Its funny though everytime they say it benched exactly the same as other WU's,people seem to wanna
believe what there told insted of what they see !!!Less points !!!LOL

this part is true ,You will still find that SMP brings higher PPD that 2xWindows clients, providing you run them 24x7.

Fold ON !!!!!!

There one guy over there who keeps insisting there has been no drop, because the points went up then returned to normal LMAO If normal is less points ,thats a drop ,I dont care how U look at it LMAO

Edited by viper666, 19 April 2007 - 04:23 PM.

#5 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:27 AM

Vipe, great minds think alike! I've biatched about this elsewhere. Today's post...

QUOTE(Camaro @ Apr 19 2007, 11:53 AM) *
In effect they have optimized this for the intel quad core then?

Nope! It has nothing to do with optimization. For a couple months there have been rumblings on F@H about changing the way points are awarded when V6 of the software comes out.

The PS2 guys have been told their machines can do 20-30 times the work and they think they should be getting 30 times the points. hysterical.gif

The Windows SMP guys say they should be getting the same points as the Linux SMP guys even though Windows is no where nearly as effcient at SMP. laughing1.gif

The Linux SMP guys are happy! Or were happy with the status quo. Personally I'd argue we are getting the points we are entitled to for having to run Linux.

The GPU guys are arguing that they tie up a processor and have to buy additional hardware so they should get more points. (I tend to agree the $$$ expenditure is more for less return than a dual-core/VMware/Linux SMP.

All the above is just a long winded way of saying: I think this is the beginning of the points reallocation. My opinion only. There is one thread about this here.... http://forum.folding...topic18362.html

This appears to be the hottest topic in the Linux SMP forum of late. I want my 2300ppd WUs back! tongue.gif"

MHO... Linux SMP still rules. We'll have to wait till V6 of the clients is out to see what the final results are. :talker:

:chriso: guys and gals. We'll have to see how it all shakes down when V6 versions are released for all clients.

:)

Edited by WFO, 20 April 2007 - 12:28 AM.

#6 viper666

viper666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:55 AM

View PostWFO, on Apr 19 2007, 07:27 PM, said:

Vipe, great minds think alike! I've biatched about this elsewhere. Today's post...

QUOTE(Camaro @ Apr 19 2007, 11:53 AM) *
In effect they have optimized this for the intel quad core then?
Nope! It has nothing to do with optimization. For a couple months there have been rumblings on F@H about changing the way points are awarded when V6 of the software comes out.

The PS2 guys have been told their machines can do 20-30 times the work and they think they should be getting 30 times the points. hysterical.gif

The Windows SMP guys say they should be getting the same points as the Linux SMP guys even though Windows is no where nearly as effcient at SMP. laughing1.gif

The Linux SMP guys are happy! Or were happy with the status quo. Personally I'd argue we are getting the points we are entitled to for having to run Linux.

The GPU guys are arguing that they tie up a processor and have to buy additional hardware so they should get more points. (I tend to agree the $$$ expenditure is more for less return than a dual-core/VMware/Linux SMP.

All the above is just a long winded way of saying: I think this is the beginning of the points reallocation. My opinion only. There is one thread about this here.... http://forum.folding...topic18362.html

This appears to be the hottest topic in the Linux SMP forum of late. I want my 2300ppd WUs back! tongue.gif"

MHO... Linux SMP still rules. We'll have to wait till V6 of the clients is out to see what the final results are. :talker:

:chriso: guys and gals. We'll have to see how it all shakes down when V6 versions are released for all clients.

:)

yup it still rules,we came along way in a short time WFO !!!I been stiring that thread up,it doesnt change anything but I like to get 7im excited LMAO I think hes the same guy from the out casts !!!

the thing that cracks me up,is they wont say they are ajusting anything,They keep saying nothing changed!!!Yea right and a monkey will jump outa yer @ss 2

Edited by viper666, 20 April 2007 - 03:58 AM.

#7 viper666

viper666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:06 AM

View Postchriso_86, on Apr 19 2007, 09:44 AM, said:

Well, that's stupid!!!!!!!! I guess there isn't has much of a point in bothering getting the smp client going then. I am disappointed in them for doing this!!
yes there is bro get the SMP fired up ASAP if u need any help just PM me !

Edited by viper666, 20 April 2007 - 04:06 AM.

#8 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:10 AM

View Postviper666, on Apr 19 2007, 08:55 PM, said:

yup it still rules,we came along way in a short time WFO !!!I been stiring that thread up,it doesnt change anything but I like to get 7im excited LMAO I think hes the same guy from the out casts !!!

the thing that cracks me up,is they wont say they are ajusting anything,They keep saying nothing changed!!!Yea right and a monkey will jump outa yer @ss 2

Yah! "It benchmarks the same as the others" just doesn't fly!!! Sooo not true. Someone is rigging the results on their end so the talking heads spew nonsense. MHO. :) I've always thought Zim was on the Outcasts. No proof. Just me jumping to conclusions. :chriso:

#9 USM

USM

GRIM DEVILDOG

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Women, Hard Rock and Fishing of course!

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:37 AM

View PostWFO, on Apr 20 2007, 12:10 AM, said:

Yah! "It benchmarks the same as the others" just doesn't fly!!! Sooo not true. Someone is rigging the results on their end so the talking heads spew nonsense. MHO. :( I've always thought Zim was on the Outcasts. No proof. Just me jumping to conclusions. :)
I luv Talking Heads especially nononsense! :chriso: I am running a 2609 atm and dumped a 2608 because it did not seem worth the bother. The 2609 seems to be producing equally as bad. Frame time is at approx 30 min for 1530 points. On a direct Linux install. I may be a little lost here, but the SMP seems to be falling. I think the original WU's for the SMP are still performing the same as always the 2605 WU at 1760 points still gives me the same frame times??? What is going on here??? :talker:

By the way my fav Talking Heads tune is Psycho Killer!!!

Edited by USM, 20 April 2007 - 04:42 AM.

#10 viper666

viper666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:04 AM

View PostWFO, on Apr 19 2007, 11:10 PM, said:

Yah! "It benchmarks the same as the others" just doesn't fly!!! Sooo not true. Someone is rigging the results on their end so the talking heads spew nonsense. MHO. :) I've always thought Zim was on the Outcasts. No proof. Just me jumping to conclusions. :chriso:
Something isnt right !!!!

#11 Vipers_Girl666

Vipers_Girl666

(_(_) (_)_) (_(_) (_)_)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:51 PM

View PostWFO, on Apr 20 2007, 12:10 AM, said:

I've always thought Zim was on the Outcasts. No proof. Just me jumping to conclusions. :bluerip:

nooooo dont you remember... hes the pc's for hire guy:P..... marty hired to fold on the celerys... who knows if hes still there now... but ill guarantee you its the same guy as F@H :crazy:

oh i hate dentists... i want my head to just :boom:

oh the paiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin

#12 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:46 AM

Okay, they claim the benchmark machine was a Quad-core Woodcrest (whatever that is. I guarantee the average folder doesn't have one. :boom: )

Vipe, the thing I like most about you is you are a straight shooter! No politics. You just say what's on your mind. I used to be that way until it got me banned from a couple of tittybar forums. :bluerip: No need for details there. :dancing4:

I finally got a chance to read the thread after my last post. Keep your eyes peeled. I backed ya up and asked the question. Hahahaha!

"WFO" said:

"viper666" said:

someone said up there,the points didnt drop BS, My 8000ppd avg is 6000,I think its a bunch of bs that alot of people spend time to build a farm,and with a wave of a wand F@H wipes out there farm, its also crap that they use the very fastest machine on gromacs to do a bench mark,we all dont have server hardware, and basically up there I think we were told we need woodcrest to fold and be competitive.As for having 4 core boxes,I got one but it gets the same units all the time,it never gets a shot,at the high PPD ones. the only reason to have all these different units,is to control points,by who gets what unit on what box.Then I here always here the points dont matter,then why give points,just fold for nothing,if your that dedicated,There are Teams doing this competing against other teams,points do matter,and anyone that says they dont id full of sheet,take away the points and see how many folders are left.
Get real people !!!!Points are talked about on every team,on every teams forum.

:storm: Finally someone speaks the truth! I want to puke ever time someone says it's all about the science! If it were all about the science for contributors, my old P-4 laptop using a standard console client would have satisfied my moral obligation if any. For contributors, it's all about the team competition. :wink: The science is a side benefit providing a warm fuzzy feeling. The warm fuzzy feeling doesn't motivate people to run out and spend $XX,XXX on folding farms. Competition does! :-)

My E-6600 got one of these and the extra cache does indeed help. The hit was about 1 minute 20 seconds per frame. :roll: I built and ultra budget E-4300 ($160.) to stop points hemorrhaging to my old teammate Vipe. It was doing great until it got it's first 2608. It's going to take about 80 hours folding 24/7 as a dedicated folder. :roll: Fortunately I have a mobo suitable for overclocking laying around. An E-4300 just won't cut it at a stock 1.8. :huh:

Hey Zim, are you Zim01? If so you have to take anything Viper and I say with a grain of salt. :wink: Marty wouldn't have won his challenge without you coming to his aid. :evil:

#13 USM

USM

GRIM DEVILDOG

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:31 AM

Folding Farms!!! :boom: I agree WFO vipe is a straight shooter even if it hurts, thats the only way IMO!!! :bluerip: :thaustin_powers_animated_dancin

#14 Vipers_Girl666

Vipers_Girl666

(_(_) (_)_) (_(_) (_)_)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:32 AM

View PostWFO, on Apr 20 2007, 08:46 PM, said:

Vipe, the thing I like most about you is you are a straight shooter! No politics. You just say what's on your mind. I used to be that way until it got me banned from a couple of tittybar forums. :bluerip: No need for details there. :dancing4:

hahaha wfo hopefully it doesnt get us banned.... again...lol ive been told to be nice... all ive been is honest... geeze!

lol

btw... details details

:dancing4:
wooooohoooooooo

#15 USM

USM

GRIM DEVILDOG

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:39 AM

View PostVipers_Girl666, on Apr 20 2007, 09:32 PM, said:

hahaha wfo hopefully it doesnt get us banned.... again...lol ive been told to be nice... all ive been is honest... geeze!

lol

btw... details details

:dancing4:
wooooohoooooooo
Hey VG honosty is the best policy, its just that some people have trouble with honosty. Evan for me sometimes the truth hurts, :bluerip: I am absolutely glad to have met you and the viper! :boom: What is banned??? :storm:

Edited by USM, 21 April 2007 - 02:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users