Jump to content


V6 Open beta's released...


  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WFO

WFO

    Super Adv. Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Country:USA

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:28 AM

From F@H...

"We are very pleased to announce the release of a number of version 6.0 clients to open beta testing.
You can read more about v6 at:
http://folding.stanf...edu/FAQ-v6.html

Released clients can be downloaded from the download page:
http://folding.stanf...u/download.html

Of note, the Linux uniprocessor and SMP clients have been merged. You can now control SMP versus uniprocessor behavior by using the -smp flag. See the FAQ for more details. The OSX/Intel client remains SMP-only.

Also of note, we do not yet have a Windows v6 SMP client available for testing. Windows uniprocessor clients are available.

Stay tuned for more announcements in the coming weeks!



Discussion thread for the Mac SMP v6 beta is here: http://forum.folding...pic.php?t=21314
Discussion thread for the Linux SMP v6 beta is here: http://forum.folding...pic.php?t=21313"

My Comments...

V6 will crash WU's in progress. The -smp command appears to be required to get smp WUs as standard and smp clients have been integrated. Apply for your pass key to activate V6 here...

http://fah-web.stanf...n/getpasskey.py

Edited by WFO, 28 September 2007 - 01:31 AM.


#2 brewin

brewin

    Victory is mine!

  • Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts
  • Location:Missouri
  • Interests:Anything interesting.
  • Country:USA

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:45 AM

We've been talking about it in this thread. :talker:

I was able to just stop the v5 client at 66% completion and replace it with v6. It continued the WU and it's at 93% now.

But I don't see any appreciable speed increase unfortunately. The added features are nice though.

#3 WFO

WFO

    Super Adv. Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Country:USA

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:56 AM

View Postbrewin, on Sep 27 2007, 06:45 PM, said:

We've been talking about it in this thread. :talker:

I was able to just stop the v5 client at 66% completion and replace it with v6. It continued the WU and it's at 93% now.

But I don't see any appreciable speed increase unfortunately. The added features are nice though.

LOL... no wonder it didn't come up in "new posts" Glad you got it to work. I was scanning the F@H site at work. From what I read then people were losing WUs on the upgrade. I've been playin it safe. 4 boxes upgraded at WU end. :roadrunner:

#4 brewin

brewin

    Victory is mine!

  • Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts
  • Location:Missouri
  • Interests:Anything interesting.
  • Country:USA

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:50 PM

Damnation and hellfire. Ubuntu had some updates, so I shutdown FAH v6 and rebooted. When it booted back up, I ran ./fah6 without -smp. It trashed my WU. Just a warning if you're using v6.

I reported it, and Prof. Pande said they'd look into adding a check.


:talker:

#5 WFO

WFO

    Super Adv. Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Country:USA

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:22 PM

View Postbrewin, on Sep 28 2007, 03:50 PM, said:

Damnation and hellfire. Ubuntu had some updates, so I shutdown FAH v6 and rebooted. When it booted back up, I ran ./fah6 without -smp. It trashed my WU. Just a warning if you're using v6.

I reported it, and Prof. Pande said they'd look into adding a check.
:talker:

Personally, I think merging the clients was a bad idea. At the very least, you should be able to select smp in config and forget about the -smp switch.

#6 brewin

brewin

    Victory is mine!

  • Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts
  • Location:Missouri
  • Interests:Anything interesting.
  • Country:USA

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:46 PM

View PostWFO, on Sep 28 2007, 06:22 PM, said:

Personally, I think merging the clients was a bad idea. At the very least, you should be able to select smp in config and forget about the -smp switch.
I agree. That might be what they do. I don't think many people will switch between single-core and multi-core very often, if ever.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users