eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 12:40 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Oct 3 2009, 08:31 PM, said:

yeah, a borked chipset or the like. dang

Think so, MO? Still think I should go through the hassle of taking everything apart and going through with the dissection? I think if it was anything other than the mobo I'd be getting at least some kind of error code by this point. I turned it on with no keyboard, no mouse, no hard drives, etc and it still gives me the FF code.

#17 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 12:59 AM

View PostSphere, on Oct 3 2009, 08:34 PM, said:

It's a long shot, but you could try the following:

>Ground your PC!!!
>Really! Even a standard power-wire to any unpainted part of water/heating system works
>Remove every card and RAM you got
>Get a can of compressed air
>Blow out every slot, until no dirt and dust remains anywhere close to any slot*
>Blow out the slots again to be sure(
>Leave the system earthed for an hour or so, only close it to make sure no new dust gets in

Do the same for all the connector-strips on your cards and RAM

Reconnect only the vital parts

* Don't overdo on pressure, high airflow creates static

Just saw this response. Hate this friggin laptop lol.

Ground it? Can I just take it out, put it on an anti-static bag, and go to work with one component at a time? I'll spray everything out before reconnecting everything...

So where is the CMOS chip located? Is it directly under the jumper or something? (really have no clue)

Doing some internet sleuthing, I came across a couple people that have had a similar problem with this board and they said the CMOS chip became unseated or something...

I'll probably start the operation in a bit.

I appreciate all the help and responses, guys. :lol:

#18 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 01:25 AM

the chip will have a plastic surround. it will look like any chip on the board (without a sink), but the center is removable. "biosman" supplies just about any board bios chip, and they can send you one overnight, if your existing one is damaged (it happens. not usual, but it does...). i'm just trying to understand how your chip could have become corrupt, if it in fact it is. can't really see it coming loose, but things happen...

#19 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 01:39 AM

i dunno, i think you got a bad chipset man. where is your pci-e coming off of? does that board have the nvidia chipt that handles extra pci-e slots?

#20 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 01:47 AM

Well, I had a breakthrough.

I found the BIOS chip and pushed the sucker down...HARD.

Restarted the computer and got the old familiar beep. Then it threw me a 6F error which I didn't bother looking up, as I didn't even have the GPU hooked up at the time.

I'll plug everything back up in a minute and give it a go and see what happens.

The BIOS chip just...decided to become unseated? W-T...

lol I'll keep you guys POSTed :lol:

#21 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 01:57 AM

:lol:
haha, i knew that if i mentioned the worst case scenario, it would be a simpler fix lol :clarky:

#22 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 02:06 AM

enip, when you are ready to re install, use the win7 disk like you did for the repair options, but select the cmd option in the list. type "diskpart", then "list disk". pick out your volume you are going to install on ("select disk <your drive choice>), and type "clean all". then exit, reinstall how you wanted. it will avoid the issue you had with the partitions.

#23 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 02:08 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Oct 3 2009, 10:06 PM, said:

enip, when you are ready to re install, use the win7 disk like you did for the repair options, but select the cmd option in the list. type "diskpart", then "list disk". pick out your volume you are going to install on ("select disk <your drive choice>), and type "clean all". then exit, reinstall how you wanted. it will avoid the issue you had with the partitions.

Drive choice or partition choice? I won't be the happiest camper if I end up deleting that 800gb worth of crap I haven't backed up yet lol.

#24 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 02:13 AM

that is the thing about "partitions"...you should have a separate drive just for backups, not a raid 1 array. system disk/array, and like a 1tb or something for things. i just burn all the things i want, or use online storage. or is
the mirror drive ok...i thought you wanted to just have one partition for winders7? with all that nun pr0n, you might want a nas, or sumit...

#25 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 02:42 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Oct 3 2009, 10:13 PM, said:

that is the thing about "partitions"...you should have a separate drive just for backups, not a raid 1 array. system disk/array, and like a 1tb or something for things. i just burn all the things i want, or use online storage. or is
the mirror drive ok...i thought you wanted to just have one partition for winders7? with all that nun pr0n, you might want a nas, or sumit...

Well, I have a 1tb x 2 RAID 1 array for backup.

The huge RAID 0 array that I'm talking to is for operating systems, but also for downloads before they are burnt. I thought it was possible to fiddle around with the operating system partitions without harming the entire array and data partition. Is it not possible?

Shouldn't I be able to at least install Windows 7 to the 40gb partition (1st partition physically) and then later be able to expand it to the take over the unformatted space that exists before the data partition?

Or is there just nothing I can do at this point except back up that data partition, wipe the whole array, and start over?

I don't think the entire 800 gb is not backed up. Maybe 500gb?lol

I guess right now my first worry will be whether or not I can even get into my old OS. I'm plugging everything up right now and going to give it a go.

#26 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:12 AM

Good news: Sucker is POSTin fine and I was able to get into the BIOS...for a minute.

Bad news: My monitor is trying to give up the ghost. Don't think it's related. Long story short: Had some serious problems with my monitor almost a year after I got it. I sent it back. They fixed it and sent it to me. However, other problems cropped up. If the monitor is turned off it fights like hell to not come back on. So, I've had to leave it on for many many many months now lol. Today is the first time it's been off for any real period of time...

So...at first I got into the BIOS fine. Restarted, then only half the screen came in and even then only barely. Then it eventually just went black on me. Not sure if it's dead or not but I'm working with it right now lol. I have a POS 15 inch CRT I have as back up if need be.

Will report in when I have something worth sharing.

I knew I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin glue.

Edited by eniparadoxgma, 04 October 2009 - 03:12 AM.

#27 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:47 AM

hehe, with all them partitions and raid0 and data, and...you sound like a candidate for a raid card enip. so far, only intel have done on board storage right for quite some time. mbr issues and all that just keep me off partitions. i just hope you can get your data back... :lol:

#28 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:08 AM

Well hell.

I decided that I was just going to install the new OS on one of the smaller spare drives I have and just lose whatever was on it (the important stuff is on the RAID 0) but when I went to boot off the USB Windows 7 I decided to try installing it onto that 40gb first partition where I originally wanted it.

It's currently installing it on there...

Not sure why it decided to do it this time but to hell with it.

There's some kind of way to install your program files folders on a separate partition isn't there? I'll either have to do that if it's doable or make the 40gb partition stretch across the unpartitioned space...

I'm for whatever is easiest and fastest at this point lol.

Yeah, the monitor was just being testy. I finally got 'er workin right.

#29 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:17 AM

Umm...wow.

That USB method is friggin incredible. It restarted itself in about 3 minutes, then I forgot to take the USB drive out. After I finally had that fixed and it booted off the partition it was installing to it's now "completing installation"...

NEVER seen a Windows OS install go this quick.

So, I guess here's the skinny:

My motherboard's BIOS chip decided to wiggle off the board causing all of my problems, so I had to shove that thing back into its spot until I heard a couple of audible "SNAP"s.

My monitor is still annoying.

I guess I will end up with Windows 7 on the 40gb partition, followed by some unpartitioned space, then my data partition. So hopefully everything will be AOK.

Thanks again for the help peoples. :lol:

Edited by eniparadoxgma, 04 October 2009 - 04:18 AM.

#30 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:18 AM

:lol: Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users