12 replies to this topic

#1 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:08 AM

after some googling and gawking, i found a guitar for the house. i love ovation acoustics, but didn't want to break the bank...

Posted Image

http://www.ovationgu...detail&mid=2012

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ovation-Celebr...737-i1166402.gc

price was right. i've been trying to cord on a bass to make up tunes. it ain't going as good as it would with a more treble range instrument to bang on though, so enter the 6 string git!

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:46 AM

banj, thanks for giving me the go ahead when i first mentioned getting one of these :moreilly:

#3 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:16 AM

:moreilly: sweeeet MO :cheers:

#4 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:30 PM

Nice price for an electric/acoustic. Purty too. I like. :moreilly:

#5 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:44 PM

Sounds good, but, do you really have the red one?

Got a sound-sample for us? I'm curious.

#6 VoodooGuru

VoodooGuru

When I get a chance, I get up and dance and do the Curly shuffle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:15 AM

Nice, MO... my brother is into playing the guitar but is into heavy metal. He is extraordinarily good and at one point the band he was in was in a Battle of the Bands at the Thirsty Whale in Chicago IL against 44 other bands from Illinois.

They were the only band from Wisconsin and they beat out all of the 44 bands from Illinois. I was quite proud of him for that and still am to this very day.

Unfortunately, as is the case with many bands, personal conflicts developed and they broke up. It's too bad because they were getting air time on some Milwaukee area radio stations for their home-grown hour shows and I really think they could have hit the big time.

Enjoy your new guitar! :moreilly: :cheers:

Regards,
Don

#7 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:18 PM

Very nice MO! That's a damn fine deal on a solid-top. :moreilly:

Couple tips on playing an ovation just in case---you'll want a strap to use, even when sitting down, as the material on the back can cause it to slip down, almost faceup, on your thigh while you're playing. You may also want to play it facing a corner. (And not for punishment, either :cheers: ) They can sound tinny to the player because almost all of the low and middle get pushed out the soundhole thanks to the helicopter material they make the back with. It's a huge plus to the listener/audience and that's why they're such great sounding guitars but unless you bounce those sounds back to you it'll seem strange compared to a regular dreadnought.

Has it been delivered yet?

#8 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:31 PM

:moreilly: Rite u are Banj, Mo's has a Spruce top and wood(mahoghany) neck too spruce always ages into the sweet sound :cheers:

#9 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:33 AM

banj, yes, only with a strap. and yeah, it sounds super to listeners. it is a sweet git for the price. ovation doesn't give it it's props, as it rivals their more expensive models. i can't believe the quality and finish of it. my good friend mark had gotten one back in the 70's, and i've loved them ever since. we need to have an x64bit.net band... :moreilly:

#10 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:50 AM

thanks V. i play weird @ss stuff, so i hope i can get my bass fingers to comply w/the skinny neck/small strings. this purchase was actually driven by my daughter's request for an acoustic git. it had to have a small neck as she thinks her hands are too small. the neck on this ovation is like a cross between a les and a strat, if that is possible...

#11 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:51 PM

Well, without opening a new topic, I though I'd show off my latest addition to my wall of guitars:
Posted Image
Yes, a real Ukelele

I bought it today, discount from 69,00 to 29,00. Loving it! Now to learn to play the darn thing...

But it sounds springy!

When in the guitar store, I was actually tempted to buy a 2800 12-string... but I was able to hold myself back. But I'm in love with that 12-string...

#12 bizketman101

bizketman101

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:05 AM

my next addition will be a 12-string acoustic. i love them!!

#13 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:59 AM

12 stringers are so nice. I bought an Alvarez 12 in 1993 that is still my main grab. If you like to fingerpick, they're great with only 6 too---I like the wider neck and spacing compared to a regular dreadnought. I can't fingerpick like I used to though and recently strung it back to 12 and still sounds gorgeous.

Attached Image: alvy.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users