• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:30 AM

That PSU is the Coolermaster B-grade nowadays iirc. I might be wrong though.

But, next time, for anyone, if this happens, use a hair dryer!
on low-heat-setting, it'll dry your PSU excellent, after drying it, rinse it with distilled water and dry again, otherwise it might get rusty, which sucks too...

Ow, and btw, is it a SolidState PSU? If so... please throw it in the bin, your SSC's are most probably damaged, they are excellent, until just the slightest of environmental influence goes wrong.

#17 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:04 AM

Didn't PC Power and Cooling get bought by OCZ anyway? :P

On edit, it was back in May 2007:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/05/28/oc...er_pc_cooling/1

OCZ Technology has been known for quite some time as a great RAM and PSU manufacturer. Those familiar with the company know that it is really one of "many hats," often branching out to other solutions - but RAM and PSUs are stil the company's core competency. That's why it's not really unbelievable that OCZ has bought PC Power & Cooling, a leading enthusiast PSU maker.

PC Power & Cooling isn't the biggest brand in the business, so I wouldn't even be surprised if you hadn't heard it. What they are is renowned for building some of the most reliable, best PSUs in the business - at quite a price. A 750W PSU (not modular) will run you $200 USD before shipping, and the usual dollar equals pound pricing strategy applies for those of you in the UK.

The acquisition should be a great fit for OCZ Technology, which has largely built more "mainstream" enthusiast PSUs. Though it's products almost always well-built and a great price, they're not usually known as being the best of the best - they're designed to be the best at a particular price bracket.

The addition of PC Power & Cooling should give the company some great advancements in its power regulation, while sharing some convenience tech (like modularity) with its acquisition. OCZ Technology intends to keep PC Power & Cooling's brand and product, turning it into the company's premium line. This could be some great news for the PCP&C brand, because it will now get OCZ's excellent marketing reach.

Edited by eniparadoxgma, 05 December 2008 - 01:06 AM.

#18 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:09 AM

Ok, I guess it's not the B-Coolermaster, but what is then? I'm confused in my intel, and lost on the internet...
still, my cleaning procedure stands :P

#19 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:21 AM

Drying out your PSu will make it safe, but I'm wondering how long it will last if the bearing on the cooling fan got wet.

I don't believe they are waterproof and water usually washes out any lubricant, so I wouldn't be putting any distilled water on it either.

#20 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:54 AM

I'll strip it down later today if I get time and blast it with hairdryer, I take it this thing will still be loaded with life dangering voltage? I'll maybe earth it against a copy of Vista beforehand :P :P

#21 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:50 AM

i hope that they (ocz) are not having them made overseas now...oh god, the horror

#22 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:03 AM

View Postscaramonga, on Dec 4 2008, 06:54 PM, said:

I'll strip it down later today if I get time and blast it with hairdryer, I take it this thing will still be loaded with life dangering voltage? I'll maybe earth it against a copy of Vista beforehand :yay2: :(

A PSU shouldn't have any residual voltage-
the motherboard will store some in it's capacitors, but unless there is a storage source, like a capacitor or battery, the voltage is lost when the current is turned off

#23 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:23 PM

:yay2: yeah the filter caps drain in a few seconds once it is unplugged from the AC source it is perfectly benign and water proof ....as long as u don't plug it back in while the innards are still wet :giggle:u don't need to rinse it as any residue left will be non-conductive anyway as long as it's dry ;).....oh yeah Rik, keep the gf barefoot, and pregnant, and preferably in the kitchen .....for future reference :( ROFL

Edited by stormrosson, 05 December 2008 - 03:28 PM.

#24 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:34 PM

View Poststormrosson, on Dec 5 2008, 03:23 PM, said:

.....oh yeah Rik, keep the gf barefoot, and pregnant, and preferably in the kitchen .....for future reference :scara: ROFL

LOL! :yay2: :( ;)

#25 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:11 PM

OK, stripped it down completely, as in removed the circuit board also, to get underneath, and found it swimming in nice blue coolant lol.... :yay2:

Cleaned it all out, including fan, which I tested separately, and was working fine. Blasted both sides of circuitry with hairdryer for quite a while, in fact, heatsinks were too hot to touch lol.

Reassembled unit in anticipation and used a PSU tester on 24pin line to try out.

I can hear all the sniggering before I reveal the result..............

POP!!!!

Not a big one, but it popped and took the plug fuse with it.

I'm now going to microwave my head.

:( ;) :scara:

#26 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:12 PM

I hate the cost of these things, but I am thinking of this ONE :yay2:

#27 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip