• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:28 PM

Today, I was just watching some movies, listening some music, working on a school project, the usual.

Suddenly Windos freezes and no music is being played anymore.
I found out my 1TB disk on which I have my music, was gone from the system. Not recognized in the partition manager, not recognized by Windows nor Linux. Only the BIOS knew the disk was there.

After opening the case (And vacuuming all the dust out, which was badly needed too), I connected the disk to another SATA port, and all is fine again.

Was really strange and frustrating to see a complete terabyte of data appear and disappear.

Anyone else had any experience like this?
My specs are in my sig, maybe you recognize an issue like this with one of the hardware.

#2 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:34 PM

SATA plug shorted because of dust in a wrong spot? If it works fine on another plug (same controller or another?), I would guess the motherboard plug is causing the issue. Although the BIOS still saw it, that I can't explain...

#3 Sphere

Sphere

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:53 PM

It works perfectly fine when I plugged it into a different SATA slot. So, yeah, I'm completely like :bluerip: It works again now, was wondering if anybody had ever experienced anything like it.

#4 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:37 PM

are you using partition MAGIC?

Maybe its a "magic" trick

#5 Sphere

Sphere

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:54 PM

Never did, I only used the Windows Partitioner to format the disk and assign the drive-letters.

#6 Sphere

Sphere

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:34 AM

Ok, this new connector-placement for my SECONDARY harddisk, gave me a higher score for my PRIMARY harddisk in the Windows Experience Index!
My computer is strange!
Or Windows 7 is somehow magically improving the speed of SATA-300 busses... :bluerip: :giggle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users