m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:48 AM

http://www.theinquir...x?article=38535

Subject: "King of folding" my Aris...

Headlines like that are right up there with "McDonalds crowned king of culinary excellence" based solely on the number of outlets.

Personally I'm disappointed with the much vaunted power of the PS3 and the Cell, by looking at the numbers it's clear that the PS3 has well under half the folding muscle of an ATI X1900XT! (The ATI1900XT is the baseline card for the GPU folding project)

Strangely enough, the good old Xbox 360 would probably crush the PS3 running Folding@home, as its GPU core (the C1) bears a lot of similarities to the X1900XT.

So which of the following are you going to own up to? Either you can't do basic maths or you actually believed the bullshit that Sony has been spreading?
so, to all the folding folks running a Ps3: is this true? will my next purchase (r600) bring me the big score in fah, or...?

#2 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:36 PM

Well, this guy is pretty narrow minded. Stanford will even admit that it is hard to tell which one is the king because they all have different limitations as to what they can fold. Also, his comment about the 360 killing it is completely wrong, the PS3 doesn't use it's gpu in the folding process yet, that doesn't mean it never will. But for now just the cell. I don't think you can compare the gpu's to cpu's. I think you have to look more at the difference between the PowerPC's, Core 2 Duo's, P4's, Cell, etc... Comparing the entire project is like comparing how far a football player can throw a ball to how far a golfer can hit a ball with a driver. The Inquirer is really gay sometimes.

And if you are thinking... oh well this guy is bias because he has a PS3. Well.... I also have a Xbox 360 and PC's.

#3 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:13 PM

View Postchriso_86, on Mar 28 2007, 10:36 AM, said:

Well, this guy is pretty narrow minded. Stanford will even admit that it is hard to tell which one is the king because they all have different limitations as to what they can fold. Also, his comment about the 360 killing it is completely wrong, the PS3 doesn't use it's gpu in the folding process yet, that doesn't mean it never will. But for now just the cell. I don't think you can compare the gpu's to cpu's. I think you have to look more at the difference between the PowerPC's, Core 2 Duo's, P4's, Cell, etc... Comparing the entire project is like comparing how far a football player can throw a ball to how far a golfer can hit a ball with a driver. The Inquirer is really gay sometimes.

And if you are thinking... oh well this guy is bias because he has a PS3. Well.... I also have a Xbox 360 and PC's.
Ditto.

He doesn't know what he's talking about.

This explains everything:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070...e-pc-in-fh.html

#4 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:38 AM

View Postbrewin, on Mar 28 2007, 04:13 PM, said:

Ditto.

He doesn't know what he's talking about.

This explains everything:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070...e-pc-in-fh.html
"...but the GPU has even the PS3 outclassed." :rofl:

Processor TFLOPS/CPU
GPU 0.0594
Cell (PS3) 0.0159
CPU (Windows)0.00095

um...594 is a bit more than 159...i think :rofl:

#5 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 02:57 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Mar 28 2007, 07:38 PM, said:

"...but the GPU has even the PS3 outclassed." :rofl:

Processor TFLOPS/CPU
GPU 0.0594
Cell (PS3) 0.0159
CPU (Windows)0.00095

um...594 is a bit more than 159...i think :rofl:
The point is that the numbers are made up. They don't matter. The numbers depend entirely on the software (and how often the client is interrupted), not the actual hardware. Also, the GPU can only do extremely specialized calculations, while the Cell is much more flexible. Over the next few months, more powerful software cores will be written for the PS3 and the TFLOP output will increase.

Any way you look at it, the Inquirer is crap. :rofl:

from the PS3 FAQ:
How should the FLOPS per client be interpreted?
We stress that one should not divide "current TFLOPS" by "active CPU" to estimate the performance of that CPU running without interruption. Note that if donors suspend the FAH client (e.g. to play a game, watch a movie, etc) they enlarge the time between getting the WU and delivering the result. This in turn reduces the FLOPS value, as more time was needed to deliver the result.

Edited by brewin, 29 March 2007 - 03:19 AM.

#6 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:18 AM

so, the cell is "capable of" when the software is there? confusing...

#7 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:44 AM

Brewin thanks for backing me up!!! I totally agree with what you said as well!! Just imagine what these suckers are going to do in 6 months when they have the client all tweaked out!!!

#8 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:51 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Mar 28 2007, 10:18 PM, said:

so, the cell is "capable of" when the software is there? confusing...
Well, the Cell is a brand new (and very different) architecture. This is the first widespread use of it. But the main thing affecting the TFLOPS/PS3 is people pausing the client to play games. This skews the numbers and renders them pretty meaningless. The GPU client has the same problem, but to a much lesser degree.

#9 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:06 AM

View Postbrewin, on Mar 28 2007, 08:51 PM, said:

Well, the Cell is a brand new (and very different) architecture. This is the first widespread use of it. But the main thing affecting the TFLOPS/PS3 is people pausing the client to play games. This skews the numbers and renders them pretty meaningless. The GPU client has the same problem, but to a much lesser degree.
ah, i see. well, whatever gets it done in a timely fashion :rofl:
(thank you for the gentleman's explanation :rofl: :rofl: )

#10 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:15 PM

I didn't explain it in the gentleman's version?!!!!

#11 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:42 PM

View Postchriso_86, on Mar 29 2007, 10:15 AM, said:

I didn't explain it in the gentleman's version?!!!!
Yours was nullified due to excessive use of exclamation marks. :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

#12 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:26 PM

well, i can't afford a ps3 to fold or a high end gfx card (the wife would KILL me) LOL

i would like to see F@H built for all computer technologies. hell, run it on a digital watch, a ti86, cellphones...

#13 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:44 PM

Just read this at the Folding forums from Dr. Vijay Pande (the creator and supervisor of Folding@Home.)

There's been some developments here which will help the flops per machine too. It's too early for a public statement, but we have our eye on the petaflop prize, very much so.
http://forum.folding...c18679-150.html

He always announces things on the forums before he explains them. Keeps things interesting... :rofl:

#14 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:09 PM

View Postbrewin, on Mar 29 2007, 02:42 PM, said:

Yours was nullified due to excessive use of exclamation marks. :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

#15 viper666

viper666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:29 AM

just a note the cell kicks everythings butt at FPU,everything !!!! What stanford really dont want is someone running a standard client on it.The cell in 10 days produced,more GFlops of folding than all the pc's have in 6 years,infact it almost double it,its a monster, the newest IBM super computer,that will be the fastest in the world, has a load of cells and Opterons,in it.With this http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/ and a few other things U might get the SMP to run on cell(aka ps3). Im tempted to try it. People make all kinds of stuff for linux <_<

the cell uses something called local store,its many times faster than cache.

the New AMD also uses Local store for its FPU :chriso:

Edited by viper666, 17 April 2007 - 06:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users