#16 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 07:54 PM

No pre-owned games to be allowed for Playstation 3

A PATENT may allow Sony to ensure that no game would be playable from any console other than the one in which it was first read.

Joystiq is reporting that this patent is the source of the many rumours that will mean as much to gamers as DRM is for music fans.

The technology would allow an authentication code to be read and then rendered unreadable, making the software unplayable on any machine but the one which first read it.

But this has caused considerable backlash from the gaming community. While many are aware of the double profit companies make on pre-owned games, this would ensure the death of trading games between friends and even going to a friend's house to play a little multiplayer.

No less than Ken Kataguri himself is listed among the inventors, which makes it look like this is a move that came from very high up. It has already been pointed out that many Playstation users have had to replace their console, surely this would leave us high and dry in that event.

While the PS3 hasn't been expressly mentioned in the patent in English or Japanese it would be the obvious place to employ this new technology, regardless of how little gamers will appreciate it. Between this and the DRM scandal, Sony could be looking at a serious drop in interest in the PS3. You can be sure you'll see more on this as it develops. As gamers, we can only hope that modern technology won't undermine the tried and tested barter system. ยต

Just a little curious but what if you own 2 playstations, or yours breaks and you buy a new one, or you want to play your game on a friends machine, or you just want to loan it to a friend?? What will this do to Blockbuster and their game rentals?

Has Sony gone too far?? Would you still buy a Playstation 3??

#17 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts
  • Interests:An abundance :P

Posted 06 December 2005 - 04:23 AM

Nope, wouldn't buy one... that's rediculous, it NEEDS to support the older games... that's waht makes them GOOD, new awesome games and being able to play your old favorites!

#18 RedInferno

RedInferno

Your mom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:46 PM

That STINKS!!!! LOL, at first that cell processor has got my money but now with that game protection...and the 360 isn't much slower either.

#19 Mr Bad Guy

Mr Bad Guy

No more Mr Nice Guy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Interests:Football, music, movies (cinemas), friends, girls.

Posted 06 December 2005 - 09:32 PM

Wat da hell is goin on there? thats just ****! I was lookin 4ward 2 buy da PS3, I think I've changed my mind 2 XBOX 360! xcuse my language!

#20 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 10:33 AM

I agree, thats crazy!!

Forget the Playstation, they were a revolution at first, a new console to the likes of Sega and Nintendo...they read the market well and despite prophecy of their doom they took both Sony and Nintendo out.

Then Along came Microsoft, it appears Sony have misread their control on the market as meaning people don't care what they do...STUPID!

#21 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:34 PM

Hey karl... I think you meant to say they took Sega and Nintendo out... PS is sony bub :P

But you're right, they have stopped listening to people and this whole upgrade a system, forget the old thing is ****. I don't even think I'm going to buy a 360 now. When Halo 3 comes out, I'll borrow someone else's!

#22 RedInferno

RedInferno

Your mom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:08 PM

View PostKW13, on Dec 7 2005, 04:33 AM, said:

I agree, thats crazy!!

Forget the Playstation, they were a revolution at first, a new console to the likes of Sega and Nintendo...they read the market well and despite prophecy of their doom they took both Sony and Nintendo out.

Then Along came Microsoft, it appears Sony have misread their control on the market as meaning people don't care what they do...STUPID!
And that's how they'll fall. :P

#23 tntoak

tntoak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 06:48 AM

Between this crap and the rootkit fiasco, Sony just lost my business altogether. Besides, I think the 360 will kill the PS3 in performance, and the Revolution will have all the older games available through the emulator.

#24 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 01:27 PM

w00t... 360's are looking to be VERY popular. But knowing that if I were loyal to a company I doubt a rootkit would keep me from buying their products. Unless the PS3 has a built in spy cam that can search your computer when you are asleep... I think people are still going to buy them :P

#25 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 03:41 PM

Nope...Xbox...xbox and xbox, sony just lost their place in my home!

Well, not all of their stuff :)

#26 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 05:39 PM

I use a lot of sony stuff... CD-R's audio equipment and stuff... if I can replace... I will :)

#27 RedInferno

RedInferno

Your mom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 06:51 PM

THe only sony thing I use is my old fashioned tape walkman :)

But now i have an mp3 player.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users