71 replies to this topic

#16 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:25 AM

thanks, USM. i like gui stuff, so i will go with redoing the partitions :chriso:

#17 USM

USM

GRIM DEVILDOG

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Women, Hard Rock and Fishing of course!

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:41 AM

I see cam is moving up so fast that at this rate he will beat me to non-rookie status. Of course this is due to his endevor with the linux SMP!!! Way to go bro I salute you!

Attached File  MarineSalute.jpg   20.33K   13 downloads

#18 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:59 AM

LoL, yes I would say that linux SMP is the only way to go, I also have my wife's computer running the linux non smp. it is going well, I had mine running that as well but I do so many changes with my computer I dont have the linux on at the moment an have been trying to get windows the way I want it so I have not had the chance to reinstall so I only have 2 computers folding, but we will see.

#19 USM

USM

GRIM DEVILDOG

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:05 AM

Yes we will see. And what we see will be a team effort before the individual effort!!! :chriso:

#20 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:15 AM

:chriso: :chriso:

#21 USM

USM

GRIM DEVILDOG

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:49 AM

Dont get me wrong cam I like competition just like everyone else. I am just glad to see the extra effort you have put into your folding. You will climb very fast, if you overtake me i may piss and whine a little but then I will remember why I do this, and why a team is a team!!! :chriso: :chriso:

#22 USM

USM

GRIM DEVILDOG

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:15 AM

View PostUSM, on May 8 2007, 03:49 AM, said:

Dont get me wrong cam I like competition just like everyone else. I am just glad to see the extra effort you have put into your folding. You will climb very fast, if you overtake me i may piss and whine a little but then I will remember why I do this, and why a team is a team!!! :storm: :chriso:
I would like everyone to welcome banj0 back into the fold. I guess he took a break for a while, but he is back and back in a big way, using the power of the Linux SMP. Welcome back bro (homie)!!! :chriso: :yahoo: :scara: :D

Edited by USM, 09 May 2007 - 06:16 AM.

#23 BlueIce

BlueIce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:40 PM

Welcome back Banj0. :chriso:

#24 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:04 PM

:chriso: The break I was on was to get a nice Feisty Fawn install running smoothly on a spare drive. That way, I could use my main rig to run the SMP. After 24 hours, the WU was at 93% done. Unfortunately, it was lost. So, I'm back running 2 instances of the Doze console client.

#25 USM

USM

GRIM DEVILDOG

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:29 PM

View Postbanj0, on May 9 2007, 04:04 PM, said:

:chriso: The break I was on was to get a nice Feisty Fawn install running smoothly on a spare drive. That way, I could use my main rig to run the SMP. After 24 hours, the WU was at 93% done. Unfortunately, it was lost. So, I'm back running 2 instances of the Doze console client.
I know how that feels I have lost a few. Like I said these SMP clients and WU's are still in beta stage and are sometimes lost for various reasons. Even with the loss of a SMP WU the point production is still worth it. It seems to me that the loss of a WU or WU's comes right after initial set up. Then the SMP seems to become more stable as more WU's are completed. I have not lost one in quite a while (knock on wood). As for the break thing I thought it was longer than that, me rookie too! :yahoo: I had a couple day break setting up the Feisty Fawn also, my first couple installs were not right for some reason. Another factor that will add to instability of the SMP is running it inside VMware. My rig just did not have enough to run VMware, maybe it is my memory (or lack of) or maybe my cheap mobo. I had to go to a direct Linux install in order to run the SMP stable. But it all boils down to folding, and I say use whatever works best. :chriso:

Side Note: Rookies are setting points per day personal best records!!! Way to fold Cam!!! :D :storm:

1 69Camaro 1,403 24,479
2 usmcdcf 1,255 28,686
3 chriso_86 1,203 137,430
4 Nvyseal 1,166 91,733
5 brewin 1,148 75,751
6 Christopholofigus 819 19,772
7 hog 499 9,923
8 banj0 363 5,803
9 WFO 276 17,300
10 Vipers_Girl666 220 4,298

Edited by USM, 11 May 2007 - 08:11 PM.

#26 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:23 AM

Sorry for reporting late bro! :D I'll do some extra KP to make up for it sir! :chriso:

Mo, for your rig you need 4 folders with the console client. Name them Thread_0, Thread_1, Thread_2 and Thread_3. You can copy and paste the client in each. To further simplify things you can just double click the .exe in each folder and it will start with the config screen. Say no to "use IE settings." Give each instance a different machine ID. I.E. 1,2,3 and 4.

After configuring all four clients, go to the registry...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FAH@C:+Program Files+Folding@Home+Thread_0+FAH504-Console.exe

And so on. Just add the tags you want on to the end of the 'ImagePath' value. In your case you need to add the -local flag to the "ImagePath" value to each of the four instances, reboot and you should be good to go. :storm:

These instructions can be confusing if you don't know CMD. This thread should help.

http://www.short-media.com/articles/foldin...ded_windows_pcs

:chriso:

Edited by WFO, 12 May 2007 - 12:26 AM.

#27 USM

USM

GRIM DEVILDOG

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 01:05 AM

View PostWFO, on May 11 2007, 08:23 PM, said:

Sorry for reporting late bro! :yahoo: I'll do some extra KP to make up for it sir! :D

Mo, for your rig you need 4 folders with the console client. Name them Thread_0, Thread_1, Thread_2 and Thread_3. You can copy and paste the client in each. To further simplify things you can just double click the .exe in each folder and it will start with the config screen. Say no to "use IE settings." Give each instance a different machine ID. I.E. 1,2,3 and 4.

After configuring all four clients, go to the registry...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FAH@C:+Program Files+Folding@Home+Thread_0+FAH504-Console.exe

And so on. Just add the tags you want on to the end of the 'ImagePath' value. In your case you need to add the -local flag to the "ImagePath" value to each of the four instances, reboot and you should be good to go. :scara:

These instructions can be confusing if you don't know CMD. This thread should help.

http://www.short-media.com/articles/foldin...ded_windows_pcs

:chriso:
No problem WFO I say 24 hours straight KP will set you straight! :storm: Mo I have to back WFO up on this one it sure helped and also saved me a lot of headaches. Thanx WFO ! :chriso:

#28 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 01:33 AM

Hey USM, you're almost a non-rookie !

#29 USM

USM

GRIM DEVILDOG

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 03:02 AM

View Posthog, on May 11 2007, 09:33 PM, said:

Hey USM, you're almost a non-rookie !
Yes I am , and the redwings beat the ducks 2-1 tonight, first of 7!!! :chriso: :chriso:

Edited by USM, 12 May 2007 - 03:02 AM.

#30 USM

USM

GRIM DEVILDOG

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:28 PM

WTH did this thread just die? Did all our rookies die? This thread is where rookies REPORT! They report their progress. They ask questions! They give suggestions. They form a strong team spirit here! Lets get back on track here rookies. Since my last post Camaro and I both have reached the 30,000 point mark. Camaro did beat me by a slight edge, and I was way ahead of him. Maybe some of you are wondering how he did that. Or maybe some of you are wondering how he leads Points per day above all members on this team. Here is where you might want to ask him? Lets get this thread back on track rookies!!! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users