53 replies to this topic

#46 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:41 AM

Now another update for my diary. First off a bit of a recap, remember I had down graded to KDE 3.4.3 because of problems with 3.5? Well I did and it worked fine except performance sucked, so I decided yesturday to upgrade again to 3.5. This time it worked, KDE 3.5 is miles better than 3.4.3 runs better, looks better etc.

Some KDE screenies (please note KDE is my default desktop for my Ubuntu 5.10 install)

Attached File  lino__sdekstop1.jpg   74.69K   79 downloads

Menu

Attached File  startmenu.jpg   95.73K   85 downloads

KDE's browser

Attached File  usingkonq.jpg   107.37K   76 downloads

Really is 3.5
Attached File  using_kde.jpg   115.54K   77 downloads

Could be compared to Windows's control panel

Attached File  controlpanel.jpg   85.8K   82 downloads

My favorite Audio Player (Now using AmaroK 1.3.8 latest version)

Attached File  amarok1.jpg   120.36K   72 downloads

AmaroK can even show lyrics, easilyAttached File  evenhaslyrics.jpg   131.32K   77 downloads

Also suggestions from AmaroKAttached File  features.jpg   129.16K   87 downloads

Adding software using Snaptic Package Manager (Ubuntu uses this where as Kubuntu uses Adept) I have both installed but prefer to use Snaptic.

Attached File  snaptic1.jpg   122.21K   75 downloads

Clicking on differnet options reveals different software avalable Attached File  could_install_opera_if_I_wanted_to_or_anything.jpg   125.85K   71 downloads

Now here is the same system but using Adept
Attached File  adept.jpg   160.38K   79 downloads

Again could install opera if I wanted to

Attached File  opera.jpg   142.1K   78 downloads

I use Firefox web browser in Ubuntu

Attached File  firefox.jpg   145.16K   87 downloads

So far thats my progress, I must say after many months this system is starting to feel great. Its all about trial and error.

#47 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:52 PM

Its starting to look good!

#48 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 13 February 2006 - 12:37 AM

Okay, sorry if I bump an old topic!

Ubuntu not bad???? to quote Linux Torvalds (and I agree) "I don't see why any moron would use gNome as a desktop environment, it's not user friendly, it looks bad, and it's not KDE!"

For a real good experience of Linux, I would suggest someone would go and do the same with a good installation of a KDE based system.

Since the installation isn't the easiest around, at least if you look at what software you should select and what is proposed standard, Linux sucks.

For everyone trying to switch:
Don't go away within a couple of days, but take it up a level. Try to understand Linux!

#49 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:10 AM

View PostSphere, on Feb 13 2006, 02:37 AM, said:

Okay, sorry if I bump an old topic!

Ubuntu not bad???? to quote Linux Torvalds (and I agree) "I don't see why any moron would use gNome as a desktop environment, it's not user friendly, it looks bad, and it's not KDE!"

For a real good experience of Linux, I would suggest someone would go and do the same with a good installation of a KDE based system.

Since the installation isn't the easiest around, at least if you look at what software you should select and what is proposed standard, Linux sucks.

For everyone trying to switch:
Don't go away within a couple of days, but take it up a level. Try to understand Linux!

Personally I think the beauty of Linux is about choice, thats why I think if only KDE or Gnome existed then it would defeat the purpose of Linux. I like KDE (ok I love KDE) and I dislike Gnome but it does not mean that I think Gnome is anyless useful. Infact KDE at times can be daunting where as Gnome can be simpler.

Its a choice Linux users make, Linux can and is a great system. What you put in is what you get out.

#50 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 03:07 PM

Well I bought a new Hard Disk for my linux PC (80GB) and had to remove my old 4GB that had Ubuntu 5.10/Kubuntu 5.10 on it. I have not installed Ubuntu again but I plan to either install 5.10 again tonight or wait for 6.04 to come out.

Might try out another distro in the mean time

#51 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 04:39 PM

Keep it up! don't mess up my XP pimping...dual boot is a nice word.

#52 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:44 AM

Well what can I say I decided to wait for Ubuntu 6.04 to be released.What happens it has been delayed for a few more weeks thus I could no longer wait for Ubuntu 6.06. So last night I could no longer stay away from Ubuntu. I reinstalled Ubuntu 5.10.

The pro for me was I knew how to tweak it for max performance immidetly. Since I have already done it before. At the moment the machine is running very nicely, once 6.06 is released I will write a tweak guide.

For now I'll stick with using Ubuntu 5.10's default install of Gnome. Maybe next weekend I shall install KDE 3.5.2 but until then. Its time for some Gnome exploring

Well what can I say I decided to wait for Ubuntu 6.04 to be released.What happens it has been delayed for a few more weeks thus I could no longer wait for Ubuntu 6.06. So last night I could no longer stay away from Ubuntu. I reinstalled Ubuntu 5.10.

The pro for me was I knew how to tweak it for max performance immidetly. Since I have already done it before. At the moment the machine is running very nicely, once 6.06 is released I will write a tweak guide.

For now I'll stick with using Ubuntu 5.10's default install of Gnome. Maybe next weekend I shall install KDE 3.5.2 but until then. Its time for some Gnome exploring

#53 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:31 AM

Well good luck with that!

#54 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:25 AM

As all good things that have a beginning have an end. I am now upgrading my installation of 5.10 to 6.06. Yes its still alpha but will be intersting to see how it will progress until its final release. As a result this will be my last post on Ubuntu 5.10 breezy badger. Soon expect posts on Ubuntu 6.06 dapper drake.

Thanks to all of you who have read this topic. Ubuntu 5+ is a great distro and I am sure the 6+ versions will be even better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users