63 replies to this topic

#16 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:05 AM

...or conflict with the sil w/sata optical. if an hdd, it would get worse real quick, i think. epi, did you use the same edition of drivers when going back to xp?

#17 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:48 AM

Another possibility:
http://web.archive.org/web/20070202221943/...hp?p_faqid=2685

(The page is gone now apparently, so I used the Wayback machine.)

That's all I got. Good luck.

#18 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:52 AM

Let's see.

I, personally, only started using Daemon Tools just recently although I can't pinpoint if the problems started occurring before or after first installing it.

Avast! I just started using after going back to XP, after the problems were occurring originally. So unless it's just adding to the fun, I don't think it's the root of the problem.

The voltage on my memory currently I believe is set to auto. I recall going through a billion settings back in the day when I had that issue with my old MB's DIMMs being broken. I did a back-and-forth with Super Talent's tech support (very helpful btw) and eventually found that auto worked best for me.

Using PC Probe, looks like the VDIMM sits around 1.47 to 1.5, the 3.3 sits around that, 5v is 5.03 or thereabouts, and 12v is around 11.97 - 12.03.

Btw, I failed to mention something I find a bit odd. I noticed the other day that there's a buttload of .sys folders on my C drive that I don't remember usually chilling there. Check it out:

Posted Image

Is it me or is that abnormal?

As to the Plextor, it's been a PITA since I've had it, but I've had it for a loooong time now. As far as I know, I always use the most recent drivers for everything I can find. I go to the Asus and Nvidia sites respectively and get the newest editions there.

As you said, MO, I thought that if it was a HDD prob, my RAID array would've fallen apart by now...

#19 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:57 AM

View Postbrewin, on Sep 25 2007, 10:48 PM, said:

Another possibility:
http://web.archive.org/web/20070202221943/...hp?p_faqid=2685

(The page is gone now apparently, so I used the Wayback machine.)
That's all I got. Good luck.

Ahhh yes, the Maxtor/NF4 issue. I actually had that problem with both of the hard drives in my RAID array and had to do the firmware update when I first got the A8N-SLI Premium last year. That was one heck of a PITA by itself, because I sold an A8V and another board of some sort that might've been fixed by firmware upgrade. :graduated:

#20 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:21 AM

View Posteniparadoxgma, on Sep 25 2007, 07:52 PM, said:

Btw, I failed to mention something I find a bit odd. I noticed the other day that there's a buttload of .sys folders on my C drive that I don't remember usually chilling there. Check it out:

Posted Image

Is it me or is that abnormal?

:graduated: where did you get those? that is a bucket of .sys

#21 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:28 AM

epi, many of those are system32 stuff, which would only show up in the windows/system32. how come they are displayed here?

#22 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:34 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Sep 25 2007, 11:28 PM, said:

epi, many of those are system32 stuff, which would only show up in the windows/system32. how come they are displayed here?

Ya know, I wish I knew the answer to that. Why are they there?!?! :graduated:

On edit: I meant to mention that the "last date modified" on most of those are all from around a week ago...right around when this crap started happening again.

Edited by eniparadoxgma, 26 September 2007 - 03:36 AM.

#23 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:39 AM

it's the "religious" sites you have been visiting...

Posted Image

:graduated:

#24 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:42 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Sep 25 2007, 11:39 PM, said:

it's the "religious" sites you have been visiting...

Posted Image

ahahahaha, that's classic.

But I really don't visit sites that are even remotely dangerous. Is it time to go trojan hunting?

What I think is specifically strange about those folders on my C drive is the presence of "Usbport.sys" and "usbhub.sys" because of those issues with having to move my mouse's usb receiver...

I mean, what would cause .sys folders that are supposed to be in the system32 folder to get moved to the C drive?

What the bejeezus is goin' on?!?!

#25 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:48 AM

OH, and I forgot to mention that while just surfin the web a little while ago BAM! Blue screen! No error messages or stop codes. Just a blue screen. After restarting there was no "serious error" messages or anything in the event viewer.

One more possible clue is that the only real stead event viewer error I seem to get is under the applications tab:

"Windows saved user *********/********* registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account."

Never could figure that out and don't know if it's related but thought I'd throw it out there.

Anyhow, guess it wasn't Daemon Tools.

#26 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:54 AM

weird. can you clear your prefetch, delete your pagefile, and run a nod scan? what do you have showing up in msconfig/startup? i can also see a drive in the jbod having a time, as banj mentioned, but i'd do a bug (av) check for the heck of it.

#27 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:10 AM

...could be a java virus. have you updated your PSU drivers?

?

I still think it has something to do with your ram. Memtest isn't perfect and since these crashes are so random....

Mo has a good idea with deleting and recreating the page file. Maybe run a system file check too. I think it may really help to try running a multi-boot on your raid just for testing purposes. Either X64 or Vista. Load up some games and files and use one of them like it's your main install. If they run fine while you still get crap going in XP, then it may have been a bad install or just weird goofiness with a driver(s), software, whatever.

#28 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:12 AM

Prefetch gone, Page File killed, disabled a couple entries in start-up that didn't give me any info, and running an Avast scan right now.

Is there w way to test the health of drives in a RAID array without yanking the array down and testing them separately?

Thing that sucks about this issue is that once I try to do something I think may fix it, it might just not blue screen for a day or two just to lull me into a false sense of security and then BAM! Time to break out the homemade flamethrower.

#29 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:20 AM

View Postbanj0, on Sep 26 2007, 12:10 AM, said:

?

I still think it has something to do with your ram. Memtest isn't perfect and since these crashes are so random....

Mo has a good idea with deleting and recreating the page file. Maybe run a system file check too. I think it may really help to try running a multi-boot on your raid just for testing purposes. Either X64 or Vista. Load up some games and files and use one of them like it's your main install. If they run fine while you still get crap going in XP, then it may have been a bad install or just weird goofiness with a driver(s), software, whatever.

MY RAM IS PERFECT, MAN!!!!!!!!! DON'T QUESTION IT!!!

Hahaha. Anyhow, I don't know what else to do to test RAM other than run memtest on it for like 12 hours (which I did). I don't currently have any other ram to slap in it to try right now...

Good idea with the multi-boot. One thing I can say is that I don't think it's a bad install as I had the same issues with a different install of XP. However, if I put a different OS on it I don't see how I will be able to pinpoint the problem (except if it still occurs in which case I'd call it a hardware problem). If I put XP Pro on a different partition I could add things piece by piece and see if I could figure out what's causing it.

It happened on XP Pro. Then the only error I ever had in Vista64 was that occasional "blah blah blah hard drive has had a critical error". I kind of chalked that up to a Vista driver issue, but maybe it wasn't. But I went back to XP Pro again and BAM! all this starts up (after a week or two) again. I'm still going with a driver/software issue at this point because of that, but who knows.

I may have to just save everything I need to save and then rebuild from the ground-up. Very...slowly.... to see if I can figure out the problem.

#30 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:23 PM

OnTrack Easy Recovery could work for testing the hard drives, even while raided. Not exactly the same as the manufacturers test but it is a fairly accurate program.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users