When will you Upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Poll: Talking about a mojor upgrade- video card, MB or CPU

When was your last upgrade?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

When do you plan to upgrade next?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:36 AM

I've been wondering when I should upgrade, and was wondering how often everyone else does it also.
I was actually planning on doing it this Spring- but all my money went towards the daughters' wedding.

So-- what are your thoughts on how often to upgrade?
:g:

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:47 AM

if intel, wait for nehalem. otherwise, unless you are s939, etc, i'd hold off. nice stuff coming up. i'd get a new gpu before i'd do a complete rebuild...

#3 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts
  • Interests:An abundance :P

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:40 AM

I just upgraded recently... I think I'll sit on it for a while at least till next year :g:

#4 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 14 June 2008 - 04:38 AM

I upgraded to the system in my sig but I don't even use it. I did change the RAM to 8GB but there is nothing on the system since Ultimate x64 died. I have looked at and am considering Server 2008 x64 instead of a reload of Ultimate x64. By Christmas I would like to have a Quad system but I have no idea as to why. :g:

#5 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 05:34 AM

View Posttalker, on Jun 13 2008, 09:38 PM, said:

I upgraded to the system in my sig but I don't even use it. I did change the RAM to 8GB but there is nothing on the system since Ultimate x64 died. I have looked at and am considering Server 2008 x64 instead of a reload of Ultimate x64. By Christmas I would like to have a Quad system but I have no idea as to why. :g:

best of luck re server :sphere: as for the core question: i dunno. ram, yes, ah la any OS x64 variety, cs3 and video stuff (games?), but for multi multi cores, unless you have those apps that make use of them, atm...

#6 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:26 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Jun 14 2008, 12:34 AM, said:

best of luck re server :sphere: as for the core question: i dunno. ram, yes, ah la any OS x64 variety, cs3 and video stuff (games?), but for multi multi cores, unless you have those apps that make use of them, atm...

Thanks Mo, I have been impressed with what you have said about your experience with Server '08 so I thought I would try it. As for the multi multi core, I have nothing nor do I anticipate having anything that would need/require the extra cores. However, I would be able to say...."I got one of 'um!! :g:

#7 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:50 PM

yep, and because of the low prices atm, you can really set up something sweet on the cheap.

#8 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:49 PM

:g: MO where do u find a "cheap" install of server 2008.....ie..less than a 100$ ... :sphere:

#9 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 03:00 AM

Threw that Opteron in the box a month or two ago to utilize the maximum out of my s939 setup and last summer was the 8800GTS. I will wait for socket AM3 or something like that... Not before DDR3 becomes really mainstream.

Edited by hog, 15 June 2008 - 03:01 AM.

#10 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:15 AM

View Poststormrosson, on Jun 14 2008, 04:49 PM, said:

:sphere: MO where do u find a "cheap" install of server 2008.....ie..less than a 100$ ... :gsg9:

look into my eyes... :rofl: spank the genie 3 times::rofl:...and your wish will be granted, as long as it ain't preverted... :g:

#11 ACiD BuRN

ACiD BuRN

the always learning student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:02 AM

Not really going to upgrade my laptop, since I see no point in spending money on it. It's going to my sister and I'll get a new one, sometime 'til Christmas :g:. This year is probably the last when I can get a tax rebate for buying a PC. Going to use that!

#12 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 15 June 2008 - 03:46 PM

:sphere: I think I'll hang with my Phenom x4 and the fantastic SAS storage system (kudos to my buddy MO for the inspiration and guidance) I really can't see any eartshaking upgrade in the near future...prolly 2 yrs or so :g:

#13 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:28 AM

If the offers I have hold out then I recently upgraded a secondary much faster system but will be doing so again sometime this summer, we shall see how things go though.

#14 RJsPC

RJsPC

Sponge Bob Guru Pants

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:46 PM

about one year ago, I went from almost weakly upgrades to none, quiting cold turkey was hard, and I suffered withdraws (cold sweats, uncontrollable shaking etc.) for months
I think I'll need to upgrade by the end of this year to maintain any semblance of sanity :g:

#15 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:51 PM

My next upgrade will be 2 x 3870x2 Radeons in place of my 8800gts

~update~

I didn't go this way. My budget allowed me to buy only a HD4850

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users